1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fair price to sell my 2007 Prius for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cdgreg, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm thinking about selling the old girl for something newer. Here's the "open book," I plan to be transparent with any future buyer on what I have done to it, and what I know to be wrong with it.

Overall: 2007 Prius, in NY its whole life, 196,500 miles, and the hybrid battery system was replaced by Toyota at 163,615 (7/22/16) with Toyota covering $2,000 in Goodwill. Front bumper has a small crack, and there is some rust, but not yet visible from the outside. Tires are new within the past year. Plugs, PCV valve, front pads/rotors, ICE, Inverter, Transaxle, brake fluids all done within the last 30,000 miles, replaced 12v in January. Full service records from Toyota since I bought the car in 2012.

Cons: The "brake bark" is getting worse, albeit fairly slowly. No warning lights or codes yet, but definitely getting louder. Tried to flush the brake fluid last week, it did not help, which means the Brake Actuator System is slowly going. Burns roughly 2 quarts of oil between oil changes, The little fuel door also does not open on its own, I need to jam something under the latch, then pop it open by hand. The heat doesn't seem that hot, and the AC doesn't seem that cold, even though the AC condenser has been replaced twice within the past year (once under part warranty).

In no rush to sell, so I can take my time selling, thoughts on price?

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should be able to fix the fuel door opening by opening the spring setting wider. Think of a paper clip, when you open it up. There is a mechanism like that, just open it up a little more (works like a spring) and it'll fix your fuel door problem.

As for the price, the new battery is worth as much as the car. You can part out the battery by itself for $1500 and then sell the rest of the car for $500+

3. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Agree. If I lived near you, I'd buy your car for $2k, swap batteries with my car, then sell "your" car with my battery for $1500 and have a fresh battery for my car for $500.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You didn't include the asking price either

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say 2k to 2.2k. This is based on my SOCAL Prius shopping. It seems when there's issues it goes down to those price range. I don't know much about rust, kinda scary to be honest and don't know how that effects the price. With more than one issue it becomes a mechanics special.

7. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

In Minnesota it would be hard to find a car like yours for under $4000. The two year old battery makes a huge difference.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Fredsimm

Fredsimm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In my area(North MS), 07 prii go for 4 to 5 k. I paid $4700 with 150,000 miles. No regrets.

9. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lol