1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fair purchase price for used 2012 plug-in advanced w/17.5K miles in CA

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Loran, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Loran

Loran New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Has anyone purchased a used 2012 plug-in advanced in California recently? I'm trying to get an idea of a fair purchase price for a used 2012 pip advanced with 17,500 miles in the Orange County area. The non-Toyota dealer refused to negotiate on price, which surprised me quite a bit.

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know how accurate these prices are but autotrader.com doesn't have a search entry for PiP so I had to use cargurus.com instead

pip on car gurus

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know someone who traded in their 2012 PiP Advanced with about 7k miles on it for $29k. He traded it into a Toyota dealer for a Rav4EV. I know its not exactly what you're asking, but perhaps that gives you an idea of the value.

How much are they asking for the car?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wanna say around 32k.

JMD likes this.
  5. skbt

skbt New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Note that dealers (at least on the east coast) have been unloading leftover 2012 PIP advanced for around 30-31k. I just purchased a 2012 base last month for 25.5K. There are a few left (see autotrader)

6. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can get a 2013 PIP for about 27.5k

7. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

Care to share where (for the base)?..

8. skbt

skbt New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got the 2012 PIP base at middletown toyota in CT.

9. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Northern Nj 2013 Base.( Ramsey Toyota)

10. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can go online and check Edmund's and Kelley Blue Book and get values for you local area including trade-in, private party sale and dealer retail. I recently checked the value of my '12 base model due to an accident and Edmunds came in at $28173 retail, and $29784 for a car certified (by Toyota, I assume). The body shop uses a program specific to them, and they valued my car at around $28K also. It has 19K miles on it.

11. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can find one even close to that then it would make no sense to buy used
    don't forget the $2500 back on new...

12. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I only see 'em for $32K+ on autotrader. Mostly advanced models.

13. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I haven't been able to find PiP on autotrader at all, can you clue me in on how to restrict the search to the PiP on that site without having to dig through hundreds of regular Prius?

14. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Set model to Prius, then trim to Plug-in. Honestly, I find it easier to search on cars.com, which is where I've been hunting for PiP's.

15. tplife

tplife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I second KBB. That said, I'd never buy the plug in due to my more "average" commuting distance of 20 miles each way. Unless your commuting distance is 12 miles or less to a charging station, you'd be better off buying new at dealer's cost a standard Prius since you'll only average 1 mpg better in the plug-in (Per Consumer Reports). The $5K you can save buys an awful lot of petrol! :)

16. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I generally drive more than 12 miles per trip, on HV trips I easily average 10-15 % better mpg than I did with my 2010 Prius, and over all I'm averging 88 mpg ( not counting charging costs,which I don't care about). And the PIP is really not much more than a Prius III.

fortytwok likes this.
  17. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    tplife

I am going to take issue with your advice. I have driven my PIP since March 28, 2012. On a 24 mile round trip which is about twice my EV range I can average 170 mpg not counting cost for electricity which is a little over a penny per EV mile for me. I do this by starting out with a full charge and drive in HV going. I return on EV until it is exhausted which is usually just a mile from home. It is possible, with not very much skill, to get very good economy with the PIP.

A key part of this is that driving in HV with a full charge gains remarkable MPG because the PIP uses a greater balance of EV in the mix then. Some of the EV range is consumed in the process, but not a lot. I have seen 75 and 80 MPG in HV with a full traction battery for that leg of a trip. It is true that driving for economy is different from driving for speed so "your mileage may vary". I drive the speed limit and get decent economy.

Of course, if you cannot afford a PIP it is out of the question. But I calculate that my PIP will "pay for itself" (the cost difference) in the long run especially if the price of petrol increases. Unfortunately, this is hard to measure as we look to the future. Also, if you wait, there will always be a nicer car - if you wait, and wait.

usbseawolf2000, Lourun and drash like this.
  18. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In fact, during August, the incentives on the east coast made the PiP less expensive than the Prius Three! No wonder this was by far their best month of sales ever.

Lourun and markabele like this.
  19. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  20. tplife

tplife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From Consumer Reports, a professional, independent, unbiased testing laboratory (which allows no advertising of their results and vigorously defends use of their name) using a typical Prius Plug-in bought new:
    CR, August 2013, page 59:

The Toyota Prius, at 44 mpg overall, has been our Top Pick in green cars for 10 straight years because it combines excellent gas mileage with a roomy, versatile interior and excellent reliability. The new Plug-in model, with a larger battery, is intended to crank up the efficiency another notch by letting the car run on electric power more of the time. It does that for a short distance, but unlike the Chevrolet Volt, it doesn't operate as a pure-electric car. Even in its "electric" mode, the gasoline engine can kick in if you apply more than a light touch on the accelerator or if you're climbing a moderate grade. With a full charge, which takes about 3.5 hours through a common household outlet or 3.5 hours on a 240-volt connector, we've been able to drive the Prius Plug-in only about 12 miles before it reverts to normal hybrid operation. In the EV mode, we got the equivalent of 67 mpg, counting both the electric energy and gasoline. But when the car reverts to normal hybrid operation, gas mileage dropped to 43 mpg overall, still excellent but slightly less than the regular Prius because of the extra battery weight. That extra weight, along with the use of different tires, may have also accounted for differences in handling performance, which helped drag down the Plug-in's test score from a 79 to a 71. Overall, the token increase in efficiency isn't worth the higher price. If you want a car that truly benefits from plug-in capability, consider a Chevrolet Volt or Ford C-Max Energi, which are nicer cars that let you drive gas-free for longer distances...At the mid-$20,000 price of a regular Prius, we're willing to put up with the car's fairly basic interior. But when you hit the $40,000 price tag of our Plug-in Advanced, the interior quality is unbecoming...