1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Fall of Tesla

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Jun 8, 2021.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i did that, but it just kept swerving back and forth. if i get used to that, it will be amazing.
    i was actually shocked when the wheel started moving on it's own while i had the death grip on it, because it came on with cc, which was all that i was looking for.
    then i'm trying to scroll through the screens to shut it off.
    definitely a learning curve.
    on the tesla test drive, i was expecting it, and it was as smooth as silk.

austingreen likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There should be a button on the steering wheel to turn LKA/LTA on/off.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds like hardware upgrades between them, and the Camry got 2.5+ with the refresh.

There is warnings in the manual about it possibly swaying if the car ahead is going so. It might even follow the car through a lane change. I'm leaning towards you making a correction, and system over correcting to that input. With experience, you should reach the point of just letting it do its job.

It seems it is all or nothing with Toyota. If the basic warning and help system is off, then the lane keeping with CC will be off too. Others allow a bit more selection.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    IMG_3198.jpeg
    Yes, I found that after doing all the scrolling

Gokhan likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the 2017 Prius Prime:
    • Lane keep alert - required steering back into the lane. You were always steering the car.
    • Lane keeping correction - if you ignored the audio, the car would quickly steer back towards the center of the lane just. as your tires started to ride on the lane line. But there was no PID control logic to smoothly steer into the center. Instead it would start to violate the other lane line and again correct back to the center, now rapidly crossing the lane. By the third correction, you were headed to the shoulder or ditch.
    The absence of serious lane following or even basic PID control laws infuriated me. The 2019 Tesla autopilot was a great relief.

Bob Wilson

6. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not true, the system can be level 3 or 4 in certain areas but still do "just" assisting in other areas. Its not black or white. And from a technological perspective I don't really see a fundamental difference. There is no revolution but rather a slow adaption/improvement of systems and even more important now, legal issues like liability. In the end it always comes down to safety & liability - unless you live in some third world country which doesn't care too much.

Tesla FSD(beta) is a very impressive technology but just a beta with no relevance to everyday drivers. Its not even available outside of the US and would not be allowed as a level 2 system (which it is) in Europe.

But a level 5 car is by definition driverless - for collaborative steering you can use level 4 car.

Level 5 car might be completely different and might not have steering wheel. Target groups could be companies or service providers and not individuals.

Gokhan likes this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Again, your Prius Prime did not have LTA to begin with; so, you are complaining about the insufficiency of a function that did not even exist.

TSS 1.0 did not have lane-tracing assist (LTA—automatic steering to trace the center of the lane). TSS 2.0 with LTA was first introduced to Prius Prime in the 2021 model year. TSS 3.0+, which has additional functions such as reducing speed on curves, was introduced to Prius Prime in the 2023 model year. I would have liked to have that curve speed-reduction feature on mine.

Trollbait likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we got the curve speed reduction feature with 2.5, i'm looking forward to it when we travel I95 through cities with wild, dangerous curves

Gokhan likes this.
  9. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Does it dodge potholes?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another reason i keep getting the center line beep, i'm a huge pothole/manhole dodger. i even dodge the little water valve covers (often missing) the covers, not me

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ideally an ADAS would have to avoid small animals as well. Unfortunately, there is no such ADAS yet.

I got annoyed by Elon Musk saying that the lack of an audible warning on Tesla would only be a problem for a cat in coma—he being a jerk as usual. No, cats under cars can easily get run over if the car suddenly takes off.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Okay, we'll call it "Btfsplk" that had the characteristics I experienced. I was so happy to get away from "Btfsplk."

I paid $29k and a year later, traded it in for $18.3k and a Tesla Model 3. Called 'tuition in the school of hard knocks," I no long had to put up with "Btfsplk."

Bob Wilson

austingreen, Zythryn and bisco like this.