1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Fall of Tesla

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough :)

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Speculation, drivers are stealthily teaching what works and doesn't:
    • driver actions parallel background AutoPilot - confirms the AI algorithm
    • driver actions divert from background AutoPilot - now the AI can "learn" how it should have behaved
      • these exceptions are uploaded to the Tesla AI processor for analysis
    Bob Wilson

3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    First, back on subject, then a rebuttal. :)

There is nothing inherently bad about using examples to train people or programs. If done right, you can give a person a basic set of rules and then a lot of examples of right and wrong, and the person will learn for themselves to quickly tell the difference between a stop sign and a Burger King drive through sign. This same process can be used with specialized programs to teach them what to do in situations without having to explicitly defining every possible case. Some times it works, sometimes it does not. Last year Tesla had that specific problem. ( Tesla Autopilot confuses Burger King for stop signs, they turn into ad campaign - Electrek )

If you want to be 100% sure not to stop at every Burger King that you come to, it's reasonable to either make a rule specifically for that or to include lots of examples of the incorrect signs in the training data.

Bring that back to Tesla's visual accident avoidance system, and it's obvious that if you want to be 100% sure to pass the Consumer Reports tests that you should include samples of doing that test in the training data.

The difference between the Tesla situation and the VW hack was this: The logic Tesla is using during the test is the same that it's using on the road, so IF the training data was complete enough AND if the neural net software was properly setup, then there is no harm done. It's not like setting the car up so that it only brakes for pedestrians when they are on an empty test track.

VW, on the other hand, set up their car to detect a test mode, and made it do something totally different than what it does during normal driving.

REBUTTAL:
    This has nothing to do with the subject, but since you said that it's wrong to prep specifically to pass a test...

Tell that to the millions of Americans who read the drivers license guide cover to cover while waiting in line to take their driver's test. Tell that to the millions of college kids who are taking "prep" courses for the SAT. They are all learning to pass the test.

Is it institutionalized? I'd say so. This week I'm studying for a HAM radio license. I've started by going through the list of all the questions that could be on the 35 question test. The government publishes the list of questions and the answers in a multiple choice format. NCVEC - 2018-2022 Technician Question Pool Release I think there are over a thousand possible questions. :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any update on this?

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Raising prices significantly, a market cap of over $1 trillion, a P/E ratio that is 350 but has been higher, I'd say far from falling.

REVVL V+ 5G ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I only wish i were selling billions of dollars worth of stock to pay my taxes

hill likes this.
  7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You have to hand it to Musk. He's clever. His "should I sell" survey just happened to depress stock prices at the time when he needed them lower in order to minimize taxes on the gains from exercising stock options. Kind of greedy, considering "Musk sold 934,091 shares after exercising options to buy 2.1 million stocks at $6.24 each on Monday." For those not familiar with stock options, he bought stock worth about $1,000 per share for only $6.24 per share. He had to do it soon, otherwise he'd lose the option to buy the stock at that price. He made $2 billion on the deal.

There is no indication that he needed to liquidate the stock that he sold. He had the capital needed to pay the taxes.

Tesla's Musk sells $930 mln in shares to cover stock option tax - filings | Reuters

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Rich get richer as the saying goes... But what happens if the government tries to reign them in. Let the California experience be the lesson, the companies will leave...

Gotta dream, I wanna dream even bigger. Wishing I could visit outer space...

At a PE ratio of 350, Tesla is looking cheaper than it has been. It's looking more and more like time for us little folks to buy in, unless you can afford BRKA, or is only BRKB available?, down at 7....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The best time for “us little folks” to buy in was when TSLA was $4/share (split adjusted).
    However, now is a good time as well.

3PriusMike and iplug like this.
  10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    By your logic he would want the stock price to drop to single digits to he'd truly minimize his taxes.

Long term the stock price is going to do what the market wants it to do, based on perceived future earnings. Meanwhile, his survey was a signal to anyone paying attention that you shouldn't be concerned with the short term price. I can't think of another time when a billionaire gave such a clear signal to the public like this.

Mike

11. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You don't want it to drop too far, otherwise that $1000 a share profit would evaporate. Remember, he bought 2 million shares for $6.24 each and sold about 1/2 of them for about $1000 each to cover the taxes. That's like getting $ 1 billion for free. And there are more options left to exercise.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he's far beyond clever, despite his idiosyncrasies

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Smiles after hearing from complainers that never started a car company that complain if business heads make good.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Clever?
    Nothing clever in either of those links. I'd call it rather inept to take deposits on a product 4 years ago and just now catch up on fulfilling the powerwall commitments. I'd call it obnoxious to insult an elderly public servant.

Yeah, the guy knows how to make money, and knows how to manipulate his fans too.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and he knows how to build things, like companies and useful products and services.

he will go down as one of the all time geniuses, the foibles long forgotten.

3PriusMike likes this.
  17. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I imagine Mr. Elon NOT telling us of the reason for his sell off. And a massive panic sell off ensuing. Pretty brilliant...

REVVL V+ 5G ?

#117 jzchen, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    here's what people say .....

When they re afraid to invest in the future, & then realize they missed the boat

Screenshot_20211125-080517.jpg

Here's how they feel

34rgej9.jpg

Sorry you're sad ...
    maybe ya should have put skin in the game a couple years ago - instead of sitting on the sidelines complaining. And you would be happy instead of angry

#118 hill, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here's what I'm interested in. It's looking better.... Screenshot_20211125-082242.jpg

REVVL V+ 5G ?

20. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good thing astute investors don't trade based on PE ratio, rather on future earnings. That's where the amateurs blew it on TSLA.