1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

False polarity alarm on jump booster?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mfduffy, Jan 1, 2016.

1. mfduffy

mfduffy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found my 2005 dead this morning. 200k, 12v only has 60k.

I hooked up our Energizer jumper pack to start it and the polarity alarm is triggered. I did not proceed (next step is to switch the Energizer unit to Jump mode.).

I have successfully jumped other cars with this unit, but never a Prius. Any thoughts?

I took the step of connecting the unit directly to the 12v terminals. Again, the alarm is triggered.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And you're sure you've got it right?

I strongly recommend NOT to proceed. It could be there's something defective with the charger, whatever the issue: if it's warning, not worth the risk to proceed. Try another charger.

Got a new one myself for Xmas: CTEK MUS 4.3. A bit confusing, but seems a robust unit. Beefier cables than my old 3.3 one.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buy and install a new 12V battery.

4. mfduffy

mfduffy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My local Advanced Auto Parts had an Optima Yellow Top in stock... and was opened on New Year's Day! So, I've swapped them out and all seems well. I went for a good 45min drive, mostly freeway, in hopes it got good and charged. I'm pretty disappointed to only get 60k from my 2nd Toyota battery. I sure hope this Optima lasts longer!

And I'm still troubled by the behavior of that jump starter. After my last post, but before I went for the new battery, I hooked the booster up to my wife's 2009 Prius jump terminal and ground, to see if the polarity alarm would go off -- it did NOT.

Could it have something to do with how dead my battery was?? I'm also left wondering how the polarity alarm works -- anyone know it's precise method of operation?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe. Do you have the manual still. If not you can usually find a pdf version for download.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't need to actually drive the Prius to charge the 12V battery. What matters is how long the Prius is left READY. From the 12V battery's point of view it doesn't matter whether the Prius is traveling at 80 mph or 0 mph. If you want to make sure the battery is charged, leave the Prius READY for at least 8 hours.

It is certainly possible that the jump pack will refuse to provide power if the recipient battery is below a certain voltage. If you still had the battery around, you could measure the voltage across it.

m.wynn likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you could've asked the autoshop to charge up the old battery for you and keep it. It's only a small core charge you would need to pay

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, this was my first though when you said it didn't show any problem on your wife's Prius.

I'm guessing that your battery was pretty far gone and appeared to be somewhat like a short circuit to the jump start unit. That unit advertises having short circuit protection. Do you know if it has a separate warning indicator for short circuit, or is it perhaps shared with the reverse polarity indicator.

If you're feeling brave you could try shorting the output (instead of connecting it to anything) and see if it sets off the same "reverse polarity" warning.

#8 uart, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    m.wynn likes this.