1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Falwell dead...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by livelychick, May 15, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 15 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]442678[/snapback]</div>
    I understand your point. I just do not understand how people REJOICE in someones death. I have no real yardsticks - i find death sad and it is sadder when people do not lead their lives in admirable ways - what a waste. Sadness is not a requirement at someones passing - but i find rejoicing reprehensible - perhaps we can meet on neutral ground where no emotion is felt is ok?

There are some here who will not in the same way rejoice at OBL's passing - yet he murdered thousands of our own citizens - directly - - - i find that sad/interesting. I find a difference in causing potential harm vs. causing death - just my opinion. I wonder if Mr. Falwell given the same set of circumstances would rejoice in the deaths of those that now find comfort in his passing on - i would tend to doubt it for whatever reason.

Not to worry about the ganging up part - up until you showed up it was still my advantage overall :D

Hope all is well. Be safe. Cherish every day we are given.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 15 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]442688[/snapback]</div>

Thank you. As always we find a common thread in the bolded comment. :)

Enjoy your day my friend. :)

Justin

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 15 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]442667[/snapback]</div>
    The true nature of the Conservative-or-whatever-label-you'll-accept mind: Spout crap instead of valid responses...
    'Share'? With YOU? But rejoicing was a Liberal thing a moment ago?

Jerry killed the faith of millions with every non-Christian act he did. Punishing sin is God's job alone, yet Jerry was right there to make sure laws were passed to punish anything Jerry judged to be a sin...
    Spout elsewhere on things that you can't document...

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 15 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]442691[/snapback]</div>
    Hates destroys all who harbor it. It is sad you cannot separate your emotions from your personal constructs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 15 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]442690[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. It is amazing what can be accomplished with reason and respect!

David

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 15 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]442697[/snapback]</div>
    It seems that the hate has to be for people you agree to hate to avoid the platitudes, since it seems odd that hating bin Laden doesn't seem like such an awful construct to you...

6. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 15 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]442688[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think that I said "rejoice." It's not like I'm going "ding-dong the witch is dead" or anything close.

Personally, I too don't understand rejoicing at someone's death through non-natural causes.

However, when someone who you find disgusting passes in a natural fashion, are you really so much a hypocrite as to say "ahhh...I'm so sad that this person I despised is now deceased?"

I'm not hypocritical, and I'm not saddened by his passing, even if I feel empathy for those people who loved him's loss. I'm sure there's at least one kind and decent person among them.

Now, if he'd been killed by someone in a brutal fashion, I would've been saddened by that.

7. ari14850

ari14850 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If there is such thing as a hell, no doubt Fallwell will be in it.

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ari14850 @ May 15 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]442726[/snapback]</div>
    Why won't he be in heaven with all the "true" christians. Is that not where true believers go?

While I might not be jumping for joy, I acknowledge that with his passing the temporal world just got a little better.

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Although I shared no beliefs with Jerry, I knew him slightly and found him to be a man that followed his beliefs, unlike so many other TV evangelists.

10. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 15 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]442759[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, his beliefs were that the anti-Christ is a Jew, and 9/11 was a punishment from God because of gays and lesbians.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 15 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]442593[/snapback]</div>
    Whattya mean, doc? As a Christian, dying and going to God was Falwell's highest aspiration. He must have died filled with bliss despite the agony of a heart attack.

12. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Does Falwell's demise signal a change in (what Falwell believed were) God's attitudes towards homosexuals?

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ May 15 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]442720[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes in situations like this if you don't have anything good to say its best to not say anything at all.

Wildkow

14. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 15 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]442836[/snapback]</div>
    There will be less hate and bigotry in the world now that the Falwell is no longer with us. How's that?

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ May 15 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]442567[/snapback]</div>
    St Peter died two thousand years ago. By now there's not so much as a bit of bone left of him. He's not kicking anybody's nice person.

And I, for one, will shed no crocodile tears over the death of one of America's most vile hate mongers. Berman can spew his usual verbal diarrhea against "liberals" as much as he likes, it won't change the fact that Falwell dedicated his life to preaching hate and intolerance against everyone and anyone who did not share his narrowminded and ignorant world view, and doing his best to deprive Americans of their basic civil and human rights.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 15 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]442840[/snapback]</div>
    I am having difficulty understanding your statement and question. As pointed out previously, I am not the clearest writer on this forum and to use you as an example, I will clarify my statement with this . . .

I don’t particularly like some of the things you say or agree with your point of view on many things. Considering the blanket statements you cast and the way you paint many fine groups of people I think some of your comments are hateful and smack of bigotry. Your rhetoric and indeed almost anyone’s, mine included, can be and is no different than some of JF’s. However, when you die I will not start a topic such as this in order to draw remarks from others that I am unwilling to make on my own. Therefore, since I have nothing good to say about you I will say nothing at all.

Does that help?

Wildkow

17. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ May 15 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]442691[/snapback]</div>
    Jerry said many things he probably shouldn't have said. No one can judge another person's heart.

But Jerry was right in that he could tell about the gospel. That was his job as a minister.
    He was to present the word of the Lord as it was.

Yes, Jerry was a man and he wasn't infalable. But he believed in what he preached and only the Lord can judge what his motives were and what was in his heart.

I Sam. 16:17 "Man may look at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 15 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]442841[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Daniel! :) It's me again. I didn't care much for the way Falwell presented the word of God but that's what his job was.

Do you by any chance like the way Billy Graham preaches the word? Or would you say he was "bad rubbish" too? :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 15 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]442864[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you Wildkow.

18. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ May 15 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]442819[/snapback]</div>
    God never changes, otherwise how could His believers trust that He will do what He says He will do, according to His Word, the Bible?

I personally believe that it was God's personal timing to take Rev. Falwell home when He did.
    Evidently, Rev. Falwell 's purpose in life was fulfilled: he preached the word of God without compromise.
    He did not make God's word to be something that it was not.

There will be many people who will not like to be told whatever, especially if what they are doing is just the opposite of God's word.

The thing is that God has a very specific purpose and plan for everyone's life and so there are rules that are according to those purposes and plans.

But, I don't want to get off track here.

Personally, I think that since many people don't want God in their lives, that's exactly how the world will eventually end up. A world without God. When all the so called "righteous people" are removed or have committed "apostasy" then the world will truly be a world without God.

And I am afraid that it will definitely not be a pretty picture.

"The restrainer must be removed before the man of lawlessness is revealed."

Even now the men of lawlessness are at work today. One day it will be totally complete and the world will be no more unless God intervens.

But God will not intervene in the affairs of men unless men want Him to be a part of their lives.

Even without God being a part of their lives, He is still God, and He is still Supreme and He will still rule all of creation.

That's why the bible says, "Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, to the Glory of the Father."

Just because men want it so or think it so, does not mean that it will be so.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ May 15 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]442819[/snapback]</div>
    God never changes, otherwise how could His believers trust that He will do what He says He will do, according to His Word, the Bible?

I personally believe that it was God's personal timing to take Rev. Falwell home when He did.
    Evidently, Rev. Falwell 's purpose in life was fulfilled: he preached the word of God without compromise.
    He did not make God's word to be something that it was not.

There will be many people who will not like to be told whatever, especially if what they are doing is just the opposite of God's word.

The thing is that God has a very specific purpose and plan for everyone's life and so there are rules that are according to those purposes and plans.

But, I don't want to get off track here.

Personally, I think that since many people don't want God in their lives, that's exactly how the world will eventually end up. A world without God. When all the so called "righteous people" are removed or have committed "apostasy" then the world will truly be a world without God.

And I am afraid that it will definitely not be a pretty picture.

"The restrainer must be removed before the man of lawlessness is revealed."

Even now the men of lawlessness are at work today. One day it will be totally complete and the world will be no more unless God intervens.

But God will not intervene in the affairs of men unless men want Him to be a part of their lives.

Even without God being a part of their lives, He is still God, and He is still Supreme and He will still rule all of creation.

That's why the bible says, "Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, to the Glory of the Father."

Just because men want it so or think it so, does not mean that it will be so.

Sorry about the double post, the server went blinko on me and told me to come back again. So that's what I did, and that's why the double post.

19. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ May 15 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]442892[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry- I don't buy it.

I'm not a Christian and I don't purport to be a Biblical expert. And I can't claim to have any idea what was in Jerry Falwell's heart. But I have many friends who are Christian, including members of the clergy. None of them preach hate and intolerance. None of them would ever suggest that a tragedy such as 9/11 was the fault of gays, lesbians, feminists, and humanists. None of them ever promoted racial segregation as Falwell once did. None of them supported apartheid in South Africa. None of them attacked the Teletubbies. And none of them, certainly the Christian ministers I know, dedicated themselves to the accumulation of personal wealth while disregarding the plight of those who are hungry and poor. Certainly doesn't resemble the words of Jesus that I am familiar with.

Not being a Christian, I don't judge (not that it is my place to judge anyone, but we are all making judgements of one sort or another) a person by how well they have adhered to their beliefs. I can only go by the person's actions. Jerry Falwell to me was a person with a political agenda, who used religion to give his actions legitimacy and protection- after all, we can't attack someone's faith, can we? Now maybe he really believed that he was doing what God wanted him to do- I don't know. I can believe that about Mother Theresa, but it takes a great leap of faith for me to believe that about Jerry Falwell.

20. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 15 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]442637[/snapback]</div>
    I know this is useless, since the last time I challenged the words you (so readily) put in my mouth you were strangely silent, but:

WHERE does anyone (but you) in this thread state that they are "rejoicing" over Falwell's death? Please point me to that particular passage.

HOW am I "inconsistent" in my beliefs? Please point this out.

WHY do you insist, at least once in nearly every thread that you participate in, to assume that you know who we are, what we believe in, what we live for? Or is that world of absolutes you live in truly that black and white; if I don't agree with you, I must be evil (or a liberal) (okay, that was redundant).

You feel sadness for his death? Approximately 155,000 people die worldwide EVERY day. Are you saddened by each and every one of these deaths, also? If so, how can you possibly function?