1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Family estate trouble...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jgilliam1955, Oct 16, 2013.

1. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone have a crazy family member?
    My wife has always been the care taker in her family. Get togethers at our house. Take care of the aging parents. Her brother never did anything. This year her parents died 2 weeks a part. She is taking care of the estate. Her brother went in the house over the last year and took stuff out. He thinks since he is the only boy he gets first choice then the sisters get whats left. Yesterday went to court and got the fathers guns back.
    The will states everything is to be divided amoung the 4 kids. He has accused us of stealing money to murdering his dad, because the father had a "dnr".
    Atleast it is almost over with. She should be able to finish the estate in about a month.

SCH-I535 ? 2

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:Sad when greed gets in the way. Having a will will make things easier. Might have been best to have had a family discussion of division of assets in earlier years and better times. Same is true now.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, my minister has always said that you do not know truly know your family members until you have to settle an estate.

I have a family member going through an estate settlement. The grandmother had attempted to have discussions about division of assets before her death but everything seems to have changed after her death. It is sad to see brothers and sisters being so greedy.

4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My Dad went through something similar years ago. He had been taking care of a relative here in the states for years and had power of attorney. When she passed away her will gave him $50k and the rest (a paid for house in San Francisco and some other assets) to her daughter in Europe. The idiot daughter turned greedy and wanted everything and sued. The crazy thing is that since he had power of attorney the estate had to pay the lawyer to defend the suit. After more than a year and plenty of attorney fees he won the suit, got the $50k and the daughter ended up with much less than she would have gotten originally.

It's sad and amazing what money will do to some people.

5. ElectronFlux

ElectronFlux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My mother-in-law has been going through a similar problem. In her case, her sisters are the greedy ones and there was no will. They got her so upset she moved to another state and refuses to speak to them anymore.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in our family, i AM the crazy one.;)

spiderman likes this.
  7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    all the assets go into a trust. the heirs can borrow from the trust on an equal basis, the borrowers are required to purchase enough life insurance to pay back the full amount of the loan plus interest.

8. jgilliam1955

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the replies. Her sisters are great. It's just the greedy brother. We knew he was going to cause trouble. Always did the oppisite of everyone.

SCH-I535 ? 2

9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Money does strange things

10. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We've seen similar things with the cousins when their folks both passed... I know what my Da had promised me is still with my Mom... I do not know if I will get it from the folks in Ohio when my Mom passes though... they think I am a rich man and don't deserve anything more than what I have... and frankly, my sister's kids are thieves and white trash mostly... soooo, I'm not really expecting them to do what is right when they can make a few coins selling the stuff.

11. jgilliam1955

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yea know what you mean. The lawyer told them...( they were in there 90's when the will was done.) To give there stuff away before they died. It would be easier.
    Or told them to write down what they wanted people to have.
    None of that was done.

SCH-I535 ? 2

12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Think how complex a father who had children with wife 1 divorced and children with wife 2 and wife 2 survives the husband. Not my scenario but you can imagine

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jarndyce vs. Jarndyce. (Bleak House by Charles Dickens.) Family members sue each other and in the end the lawyers get every last penny and the litigants get nothing.

My father's trust specified that anyone who litigated against the trust would get nothing. Trying to claim more than your share would have been very risky and likely to fail. So there were no challenges. We all agreed that each of us could choose a keepsake of insignificant value. Everything else was sold and the estate was divided equally, as per the terms of the trust.

When my mother died, my sister and I agreed that each could take something. I took my favorite painting from my childhood, an original oil by an unknown artist friend of my folks which will never be worth money, but is a very nice painting in its own right, as well as having memories for me. My sister took my mom's diamonds. I felt that was reasonable because my sister had taken care of my mom in her declining years.

My family was totally bonkers and completely dysfunctional. But greed was not their particular failing. My psychotic stepbrother believed he was entitled to it all (by a peculiar line of delusional reasoning) but did not challenge the trust because he knew he could not win. His paranoia was probably a stronger motivator than anything else. Believing everyone was aligned against him, including all lawyers and judges, he was not about to sue the trust, with its clause that would have cut him off with nothing if he had tried.

jgilliam1955 and ftl like this.
  14. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is brilliant. Might have to steal that clause.

Litigation is a joke in the US anyways. Whoever has the most money is the one who draws it out the longest and by the end only the lawyers prosper. Same reason why big companies hound the littler guys with legal threats that they should never win.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry.

I told my parents that I wanted them to die in debt, and that we kids would divide the tab.
    They're probably going to ignore my advice.
    They have already selected a trusted cousin as the executor, and we've already worked out a very simple but detailed system for distributing the things that will not get sold or have not already been given away.

That's not always practical and there's no way to make it universally easy, especially when some heirs are geographically or financially challenged.
    It never ceases to amaze me how venomous family relationships can turn over the stupid stuff.
    I've seen sister and brother (in their 60's!!!) come nearly to blows over a table I wouldn't give you $10 for.

Parents and Grandparents:
    Make a will.
    Also leave voluminous instructions.

:)
    Even Lawyers have their uses!
    I love a happy ending!

16. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:Where's the liability to pay their outstanding debts if they're both deceased with no co-signers?

17. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Different States... different laws.

I understand... Some States don't allow Trusts... and some States have laws regarding unpaid debts that allow a injured party to sue for collection against whatever is there.

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Someone told me once that money does not change people; it expands their character. I've seen several examples of this:
    • Those who would fight for scraps fight even harder when there's more money on the table.
    • Those who struggle with debt when they have very little still struggle with debt when they have money.
    • Those who give what little they have to charity give more when they have more to give.
    • Those who do not see money as a solution don't care either way.

MJFrog and JMD like this.
  19. amm0bob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

And I have seen much of the same Bra... and while I myself have not won anything grand yet... I believe I will agree with you and add:

With a couple of other columns on the lists...

• Those that would cheat... still will cheat, even if they have 1000+= what the victim has.
    • Those that used to steal, will still steal again just because they like to steal.
    • Those that care about their family will give what they have to a family member again even if they know they are stealing from them.
    • And if they don't understand savings before they got any real money, they won't have any money before long.

20. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I always thought F Scott Fitzgerald author of Gatsby understood wealth and wrote about it often. He was from a cultured family and attended Ivy League school at a time when money was the entrance requirement. This passage perhaps best sums if up.

image.jpg

San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.