1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fan assembly replacement and spark plugs DIY

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alekska, Mar 25, 2015.

1. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hi all,
    The last time I was changing the oil on my 2005 (with 162 k miles) I noticed the fan blades on passenger side radiator fan broke off the motor. I ordered the fan blades from dealer (~$60) , but after the blades arrived I discovered that motor is burnt also (maybe from running without blades = without cooling ?). The motor is very expensive at toyota dealer (~$170) so I got the Dorman assembly (two motors with fans in a plastic enclosure) for ~ $130 on amazon. The Toyota blades will be returned.
    fan assembly.jpg
    Replacement of the assembly was not so bad, took about 2.5 hours of slow work. Had to remove the frame cross-member above the radiator (total about 10 bolts), disconnect wiring, radiator filler tube (the one with pressure cap) and disconnect all the hose placers/holders (all hoses were left connected except the radiator filler tube, so almost no fluid loss). Then I slowly worked the assembly up. The re-assembly with new part was actually easier as I already knew all the hoses etc. The new assembly is actually less noisy than old fans. Will see how long the Dorman part will last :). Made in Taiwan. The original assembly had Denso motors.

Next day I have removed the wipers, plastic cowl, relay block, and metal tray to get a better access to spark plugs. Plugs were replaced (by me) at ~ 105k, so it was a time. Out of 4 plugs 2 were very rusty (cylinders 1 and 4), see the attached image. 20150322_185539.jpg
    I'm glad I replaced them. The rust was nasty. The ignitor part was in good shape (as you can see, minor sand-colored deposits only, 55k miles on them). I had to use the vacuum with attached thin hose to get all the junk out of the spark plug wells and even from cylinders. As it was mentioned before at PriusChat, rain water from windshield runs down to the cowl and then somehow gets onto the engine top. I will probably apply a bead of sealant between metal tray and plastic cowl where they meet, to avoid the leakage in future. Also, the drain holes that lead water down from the cowl were sealed with junk.I cleaned them up. Sorry I did not take a picture of dirty drains, only the cleaned ones.
    20150322_154349.jpg
    and the other side
    20150322_154358.jpg
    The PCV valve was replaced too, as I was there already. The old one was original, and still in OK shape, rattling freely with only minor deposits. I use M1 full synthetic oil with changes about twice a year - between 5000 to 8000 miles.

In general, removal of the cowl and tray takes only 10 min, but gives a great access to everything, and allows to clean/inspect drain holes etc.
    Fan assembly is probably frequently damaged in even minor head-on collisions so hope this post will provide some info if you have to do it.

Thanks,
    - Alex

#1 alekska, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    2004priusgal and Patrick Wong like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great work, great write up, thanks!(y)

3. Dmanke

Dmanke New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model: