1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fan "flutter"

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IABoy987, Jan 27, 2024.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Began to notice random noise from the car cabin fan. It sounds almost like the noise your bicycle made when taping a playing between spokes (boy am I old!!:LOL:) Sound seems to rise then begins to fade away. Sound can start after long drive or when just turned on. Weather does not seem to factor in.
    My best guess it means end of life for fan motor or sometime else going on. Unfortunately the sound is random and does not persists, so it is futile to take it to dealer$hip for diagnosi$..And if it is the motor, bet it won't be easy to get at without extensive tear-down. :(

Any brilliant thoughts?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Start by removing the cabin air filter, which is directly above the blower. Then you can inspect the blower with a little dental mirror, or even a phone camera held the right way.

IABoy987 likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure about a 2018, but in the generations I'm used to, people have easily changed blowers without a big teardown, just a bit of contortion to do the work down where the passenger's feet go.

IABoy987 likes this.
  4. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2002 Honda Odyssey had a similar problem. It turned out it was debris that made it into the fan enclosure. Removed those debris and it was quiet again.

IABoy987 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might just be some debris, have you looked at it?

IABoy987 likes this.