1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fan Higher After Startup

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mr88cet, Aug 19, 2017.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Admittedly, I haven't searched the manual on this topic yet, but I was wondering whether we all see this, or if I'm just somehow imagining it:

When I drive home from work, with the climate controls not on "Auto," the fan typically ends up at a 30% or so fan speed. It seems to me that, when I later hop into the car for evening errands, upon firing it up again, the fan spins up a lot higher than the 30%ish I left it on. That, while it still reports to be in manual mode.

Has anybody else seen this, or am I just imagining it?

iPhone ? Pro

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you shut the car off in auto mode, is it supposed to come on in manual mode?

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2009 Gen II remembers the settings after the car is switched off. I always leave it on "Auto".

4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not that I know of, nor the reverse, which is kinda-sorta what I seem to be seeing. It comes back up in manual mode where I left it, but at a higher fan speed.

iPhone ? Pro

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That does seem odd. I would think they would emulate the old manual knobs functionality by having it start up the same way it was shut down.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on gen 3, i find it difficult to turn off auto mode. maybe try getting it in true manual mode for a drive, shut it down at the end, and turn it on to see what fan speed it comes back as.

edit: i misread your first post.:oops:

7. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    the # of bars for the fan speed re hard to read ... i would take a photo before you shut off so you can compare

mr88cet likes this.
  8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, I think I'm starting to understand what exactly I'm seeing here:

Even when the air conditioner is not in "Auto" mode, I find that it's not a completely 100% "anything goes" manual mode. In particular, what I seem to be seeing is that if the temperature difference, inside versus outside, is fairly small, the fan speed seems to have a limit. It won't blow at full power unless there is a substantial inside-to-outside temperature difference.

It occurred to me that this might be part of what makes ECO-mode more ECO, but turning off ECO mode doesn't seem to affect it. Come to think of it, I haven't tried turning off the S-Flow (or whatever it's called) mode to see if that affects it.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that would be a huge change from past generations.

10. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh, actually I didn't say that quite correctly. It's the difference between the thermostat SET temperature and ... I'm not sure whether it's the inside or outside temperature. I would guess more likely the inside temperature.

Just now, for example, we hopped into the car charging in a parking garage. I had the AC on and set for 80F, and the outside temperature read 85, initially. I don't know what the actual inside temperature was (no readout for that), but it was likely around 82 or so. I turned the fan up to ~70% on the "dial," and it spun up a bit, but not a whole lot. As I drove out of the parking garage, the outdoor temperature readout dropped fairly quickly to 79. At that point, I realized that the AC was just a semi-pointless power drain, so I turned the AC off, and dropped the set-point temperature to "LO." As I lowered the set-point temperature, the fan spun up to a fairly high speed.

iPad ? Pro

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, gotcha. i only do manual hvac with temp set at min.