1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fan noise when I turn off my Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phil Viana, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Phil Viana

Phil Viana New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Every time I drove for more than 5 minutes, when I get home and turn the car off I hear a weird, squeaking noise. I *think* it may be the cooling fan, but to be honest I had never heard a fan squeak like that. I recorded a video and uploaded it to youtube:

It's a 2015 Prius C One. Do you guys hear a similar noise?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    probably the coolant pump refilling the thermos.

Phil Viana likes this.
  3. Phil Viana

Phil Viana New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the reply! Is it common for this to happen 90% of the times I turn my Prius off?

After owning the car for 2 years I wonder why I'd never heard the noise before, but I suppose it may be because of my new garage which is a lot more silent than my previous one.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the sound is unusual, so it may be that the pump is on it's way out, and also why you are hearing it.

who knows, could go for years like that.

Phil Viana likes this.
  5. Phil Viana

Phil Viana New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I found a similar video on YouTube and got in touch with the guy who posted it. He said he thought it was the AC.

I drove for half an our with the AC off and when I turned the car off... No noise! Then I turned the car on again for five minutes, this time with the AC on. I heard the noise again when I turned the car off!

So it's definitely the AC. I just don't know why or what exact part of it. Any thoughts?

6. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Mayby the ac needs freon?

7. Phil Viana

Phil Viana New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Maybe. The AC is working perfectly, though. I can't see anything wrong with it. If it needed freon wouldn't my car be really hot? (I live in Texas btw)

8. Phil Viana

Phil Viana New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Maybe. The AC is working perfectly, though. I can't see anything wrong with it. If it needed freon wouldn't my car be really hot? (I live in Texas btw)

9. Phil Viana

Phil Viana New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I took the car to my mechanic and he said the noise is perfectly normal. There is nothing to fix.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent!(y)

11. PrincePrius84

PrincePrius84 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I know what noise your hearing I think based on what I can roughly hear, I had/have a 13 Camry with 157,000mi and a 17 Prius c Two, as the Camry got older in mileage it started making that noise, like you I was concerned something was wrong, but I was told by teachers at my auto vocational school that it was nothing to be alarmed about an most of them have 20 to 30yrs experience in the field, btw I am in Texas too

12. 08PriusXSJ

08PriusXSJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My Prius C2 (2012) has a high pinch noise with the sound like an electrical transformer in working whenever I turned the A/C on. The noise immediately stopped once the A/C was off. Also, the cooling fan will turn once the A/C is on and stops when the A/C is off.
    At the moment, I could not be for sure whether the noise is from the A/C compressor or from the cooling fan. I will take to my mechanics and let him tell me what the problem.