1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fan stops right before hottest day ever recorded!

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Thadeus, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Thadeus

Thadeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So, as it started getting warmer, and I started using the AC more, I realized it seemed a little weak. While the fan was running I went to check the cabin filter behind the glove box. When I pulled it out, the fan started going 10 times faster. Yay! That was the problem. I need to get a new cabin filter. Then, I realized there were remnants of a rat's nest in there. The fan sucked up a chunk of it and immediately stopped. No AC. No heat. No fan. I cleaned out the rat's nest as best I could with my hand and a vacuum, but it is still not working. I think there is stuff deep inside there that I can't get to. I don't know how to get in there.

Any tips? This is right before the hottest day ever recorded in Seattle. Great time for the AC to go out, right?

Thanks!

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get a new blower motor (not oem) for less than $75. I looked at a YouTube video recently and it’s fairly straightforward. I have a feeling your current motor is shot.

iPhone ?

Tim Jones likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Replacing the blower can't be done without taking the old one out. As that has to happen anyway, it's a good opportunity to find out whether it's in fact shot, or just works better when not wedged up with rat furniture.

Tim Jones likes this.