1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fans not blowing properly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by averageman97, Oct 25, 2020.

1. averageman97

averageman97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Upgrade
    I’ve got a 2015 Prius. Had it for about 6 months with no issues. I noticed a couple months ago that the fan slowing down and finally stopping. I noticed it was getting weaker even though I had not turned down the speed. Eventually it would slow down to basically just stopping and then all of a sudden it was fire up to full speed out of nowhere, and then the process would begin again. I also hear a sort of clicking noise when it does this. It isn’t very loud but it definitely doesn’t sound normal. Any ideas on what’s causing it? It happens on AC or heat and there are no temp problems either way, it seems to be solely related to the fan speed. Sometimes, turning it off or turning the speed down for a few minutes will fix it but most times not.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Most likely that your fan motor is going bad.
    Much easier to get an accurate diagnosis if the shop can get their hands on it while it is dead.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the connector for the fan. And check the voltage.
    The fan switch could also be a going bad.
    You could remove the fan and check the brushes, the commuter may be dirty.
    You can get some contact cleaner and clean it up.