1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fast Charging the NiMH battery - COOL TIP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stocky, Mar 9, 2005.

1. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    I've got 25 points that says there's no difference in 1/4 mile times on any charge short of one blue bar. Anyone want a piece of that?

BTW, speaking as someone who has crossed the continent, and several mountain ranges in doing so, there is no problem going over a mountain with a big fat pink (very low) battery.

Sure, there is not a lot of power out of the ICE, and it revs like a SOB, but the Prius does it without trouble.
    :mrgreen:

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Q:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"71171)</div>
    A:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"71063)</div>

Q:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"71205)</div>
    A: No.. just floor it. you would never get back up to the same speed again. you would waist a lot of electricity and gasloline trying.

Q: <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"71233)</div>
    A: Tried it on 17 before. same as i said above. it's a waist. sure.. you get a boost... but it's short.. and completely not worth it.

I bett 100 points it does make a difference on the quater mile. it makes a difference of a few seconds on the 0-60... it probably takes about the 0-60 time to do a quarter mile. i would try it, but no one i know had good clocking skills.. or even decent. NOBODY i know has the patience to wait for the prius to do a quarter mile.. hehe.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I must be missing something. The Prius is a reliable and *very* economical commuter car. At least that's why I bought mine. I could give a rat's a** how fast it is 0-60.

This "fast charging" tip sounds a lot like how "power braking" used to be done. I really don't see how that could be good for the car.

4. jeepien

jeepien Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stocky\";p=\"71060)</div>
    You apparently found a fix for a problem that does not exist. There is absolutely no well-founded concern over running down the battery, at least not among owners who have had their car more than five hours. When the battery discharges too much, the computer notices, and recharges it. End of "problem". Under no conditions is it ever a good idea to stomp on the gas and brake at the same time.

It might be better to wait until you have owned your car twice as long, or perhaps as much as a full day, before giving out expert advice. Or maybe not.

5. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Wow Jayman,
    All this time I thought it was a really cool toy. Like a video game that I play on the way to work. First vehicle with four wheels that I ever enjoyed this much. Now I learn it's really a reliable economical commuter car? This is very troubling. If that is true, then I must be an old man in a boring car. It's a bad dream. It's a nightmare. Gotta get away. Gotta......

Wait a minute. You tricked me. I'm still a kid and the Prius is still my technotoy. Nice try though.

Today's high score: 458 miles @ 59.9 MPG (not bad for march)

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok first I'd like to say something. Driving once around the block will bring it from 2 bars to 5 bars flat.

how? Well sometimes I wait for my brother and I don't want to turn the vehicle off. On occasions, he takes too long and my battery drains to two bars. Rather than idle and have people glare at me for not turning off the vehicle, I decided to take one loop around the block. When I returned, I had a full 5 bars waiting for me. So really, the car does charge itself up quite quickly assuming you're not going full throttle around the block

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. To stop people thinking you're wasting fuel, you actually waste even more fuel. :)

8. Stocky

Stocky New Member

jeepien

Well I have now had my car 7000% longer than I did when I started this chat. I can tell you one thing I have learned - being facetious is NOT cool - take a lesson.

I never professed to give expert advice, I posted in good faith to share my thoughts and experiences with like minded individuals.

GFY.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stocky,
    Listen, we want you to feel welcome here. And I appreciate that what you were hoping to do was in good faith. However, your original statement was laced with several misconceptions that, read by someone as uninformed as yourself, might be taken as fact or something to be concerned about.

As Jeepin stated, you found the solution for a non-existant problem.

But let's look at what you professed in your first post in the form of your "thoughts and experiences".

You suggest that there is concern over a problem, but never checked to see if there is truely a problem. Then, in the same sentence, you propose a 'fix' for that non-existant problem. Not really a thought or experience here at all...just a reiteration of a very false misconceptions and rumors that you took no time to fact check before repeating them.

Again, you provide not factual information here at all...how do you know that doing this once in a 3-4 day period is any safer than doing it daily? Or that doing it more than once a month might not be unsafe? To your credit you do state that you're not sure what this {force charging} might do, but when you provide specific numbers like once every 3-4 days it implies a certain knowledge of the process and technical aspects...but you don't really have that at all. Also, the issue of memory in the Prius battery is carefully managed by the battery ECU and is not something you need to worry about. However, over charging and deep discharge cycles can shorten battery life.

The implication here is that there can be and might be an "emergency" in which this technique could be used to recover from. There is no such situation. You fall into the same trap that we've seen uninformed reports publish creating unfounded fear of the system.

What several of us here have tried to tell you (some more elequently than others) is that your post is essentially non-sense and serves only as a source of confusion and misinformation for others.

Please do feel welcome here, but I strongly suggest you post questions while you learn about Prius before you start reporting information. Had you made this same post in the form of a question it would have been much more useful to all of us.

[font=Arial:86f3671c3c]Priuschatters,
    I've read elsewhere that the HV battery can be discharged to a dangerously low level. Is this true?

I've also heard that if it is deeply discharged that there is a special way to 'fast charge' it to recover from that condition. What are your experiences with this situation and is fast charging something I can or should be doing with my Prius? [/font:86f3671c3c]

Imaging the different type of response you would have gotten with that.

10. Stocky

Stocky New Member

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi Ray:

You seemed to be under a *lot* of stress at work, so I thought I'd brighten your day with my droll humor. I'm very happy to see it worked.

Otherwise we'll both become cranky 'ole coots with *no* sense of humor whatsoever. Ugh.

Like, I have to drive out to the hobby farm this weekend. The HVAC reports something wrong with the HRV ... :cussing:

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stocky,

You seem to have been overwhelmed with excitement. I don't blame you and congratulations. I do hope you keep your curiosity in high rev.

I wouldn't worry about the battery. Most of what you read about batteries is usually based on using (or abusing) a battery from total discharge to full charging - not something that happens with regularity (or at all on my Prius). I've gone up some doozies of hills, especially around Ithaca on Rt. 13, and when I've glanced at the MFD, it generally showed the ICE charging the battery as well as providing the drive. In fact I've never seen the SOC drop below half on my car but I've only driven mine a little over 2,000 miles (> 3200 km) over the last 4 months.

Just have fun! And keep us informed on what you find out. I for one am not sure of your driving environment, so hearing about that would great to me.

13. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Cool, thanks drash.

Yes it is all very exciting and I guess it becomes second nature after a week or so. Perhaps some of the others have had their cars so long that they have forgotten that and have become BOF - looks like I have been severely "moderated", so I will shut up from now on.

Check out the trip that Frodo took to return the Ring - think the Prius will make Mt Doom? All filmed here in our little country.

14. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    after first expressing my excitment.. well.. i learned to shut up and wait...

i am still excited about little things ont he prius.. but.. well.. it's ALL second nature to me. the most intersting things on priuschat to me is the chatting.. political debates.. and specs on items which i can't just figure out on my own.

15. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Seems like a very useful feature to me. So when everyone goes out and buys a Saturn race car, the poor Toyota dealers have an easy way to keep the batteries charged up on the cars that sit on the lot for a year or two.

Also useful for anyone planning to store the car for a year or more, so you can maximize your safe storage time.

Then there's people on mountains that arrive home with very low charges.
    They might benefit from charging the battery up so they can use EV mode to move the car around the driveway to wash it, change the oil, etc.

16. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Back to the original post, guess I'll have to try this tomorrow but. . .
    does the motor ICON come on when you hit the brake and accelerator at the same time?
    If it does, seems like that would put some serious stress on the motor or drive train (in particular the chain).

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First I'll ask...what chain?

Next, AFAIK, there is not stress on the system at all (other than the battery and the environment)....Keeping the brake depressed cuts power to the wheels and allows just MG2 to spin and charge the battery...you can see this on the monitor as it occurs.

18. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tomdeimos:
    Dealerships and storing.. good idea. Living in the mountains? you'll still have power.. even with only the ICE. I've ran on only ICE alone. It's plenty of power.

Dr. Jay:
    It looks like you're driving.. while charging. It's simply that. Since the breaks are keeping the car still.. the outer sun gear does not spin.. so.. it just creates electricity.

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's a nice way to drain your batts to pink. Park it in IG-ON for an hour+. :mrgreen:

I don't know of any other way to get the batts that low in normal usage.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike\";p=\"71650)</div>
    Put it in Ready mode, Neutral, run the AC and defrosters at max....a sure way to kill the battery. PLEASE don't anyone do this.