1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fastening down wiring in cargo area

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Frogerelli, May 3, 2020.

1. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To improve the lighting in the cargo area I purchased some led strip lighting, marketed to be used in pickup beds. I want to run the wiring behind the side panels, both for aesthetics as well as to avoid snagging the wires. But I also want the wires secured so they don't move around and make noise. Over the past two days I learned that duct tape does not adhere well to the white foam backing of the panel. Does anyone else have a better suggestion? 20200503_104526.jpeg 20200503_104449.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You might try Gorilla Tape. However, once it's applied, you might find it difficult to remove without damaging/destroying the foam. I would test it out"first in a location where any damaged foam would not be visible... ...or even better, test it on a scrap piece of foam material if you happen to have one around.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, but Gorilla tape is what I tried in the first picture.

Next attempt is to use Gorilla Glue (the foaming kind) with some 1 inch square mounting bases so there is a lot of surface area to bond together. Gardner Bender MTG Base 1 X 1 Qty - Bag Of 5 (MB-20UVB)

P.S. the lights work really well. Plenty of light and no glare because of the soft black surfaces they are aimed toward.

5. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm. I would have thought Gorilla tape would have done the job. Now you have me curious. I doubt Gorilla glue foam will adhere adequately, and a cyanoacrylic (super glue) will probably attack the foam panel. Epoxy probably would work but then you would have to find a way to hold the wires in place for hours while the glue cured.

Double-sided tape - the kind used to secure floor carpet - might work, but you would have to follow this with some covering tape/material to keep the exposed tape from adhering to other objects, dirt and debris.

6. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What did you do with the wire - re-route it?

8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Use a polyester cloth and 3m spray on glue. Spray the cloth and the foam and then place the two together holding the wire in between.

Works every time.

9. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, the wire followed the same path as before when I tried to hold it down with Gorilla Tape, I just secured it. Remember, it isn't a factory wire but a wire for some LED lights I installed.

10. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's not a bad idea. I still have an old race number stuck on a cycling jersey in 1988 with 3M Super 77.