1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Faster charging for Enginer kit

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by hkgngplugin, Nov 11, 2013.

1. hkgngplugin

hkgngplugin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    does anyone know the maximum current the BMS16D can take for charging? I’m planing to buy a 25A or 30A charger for faster charging.

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello hk,
    The BMS was rated at 25a. I had one customer that had this part of the BMS fail and it took out some cells with it. The risk is that if the BMS fails to disconnect the charger you will damage the battery pack. In this case, the BMS failure happened just from the startup spike that the chargers give at turn on. So you need to have the BMS rated much higher than the charge current.

I have done some work on charging at faster rates. There are 2 other potential problems.

One is that at 110v the input for a 30A charger will be a little above 20a with a higher turn-on spike. This requires a 30a CB in your fuse box and 10AWG wire.

The second is that you will see cells climb in voltage at higher C rates well before they are fully charged. Fast charging works for lower SOC but you need to slow down the charging rates when the SOC gets up to about 3/4 full. That is why all the fast chargers are spec'd for partial charges.

Thanks,
    Dan

dave77 likes this.
  3. hkgngplugin

hkgngplugin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dear Dan,

For your first concern, I’m using 220V in hk, and I have 6mm cables. That should be more than enough.

For your second concern, the chargers I’m considering clamin to have auto stop/ auto slow down abilities. I suppose I can leave this to the charger.

Tat.

4. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    speaking of which, I have read in other parts, that it is good practice to decrease the current towards the end of a charge , is there a such adjustment on the stock charges?