1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Fastest Growing Segment

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jun 21, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First off, I hate the term 'Green Cars' because they are actually 'Efficient Cars'. But many traditional car reviewers bought the 'green car is a style' hook-line-and-sinker. Regardless, here is the link:

Source: AD #2134 – New Camry Interior Sizzles, Activist Investors Should Back Off, Green Cars the Fastest Growing Segment – Autoline Daily

GREEN CARS THE FASTEST GROWING SEGMENT

Looks like sales of green cars have hit a tipping point in the U.S. market. For each of the last four years, the green car segment has been shrinking, dropping by a total of 95,000 units. This includes hybrids, plug-ins and electric cars. While sales of EVs and plug-ins were growing strongly, sales of hybrids were falling, which brought the entire segment down. But so far this year the trend is in the other direction. Sales of green cars are up a strong 22%, thanks to growing sales of hybrids, which are up 12% for the first five months of the year. Although sales of the segment leader, the Toyota Prius, are down, new entries into the segment and strong sales of other hybrids are making up the difference. New entries include the Hyundai Ioniq, Kia Niro and Honda Accord hybrid. Moreover, the Ford Fusion and Toyota Highlander hybrids posted strong sales increases. Put it all together and the green car segment is now the fastest growing segment in the American market, despite low gasoline prices. And that’s why we think this could represent a tipping point.

I'm not sure I agree with their metrics (Dashboard summary May 2017 | PriusChat) but like their summary.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i love the red interior. i wonder if i'll be able to talk my wife into it in 2019 if they offer it on the hycam.

we've been complaing about gas prices for quite awhile now. if these numbers are correct, i look forward to the day when ev's hit 4% of sales.