1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FasTrak transponder mount location

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tessar, Dec 16, 2005.

?
  1. Top center on windshield (behind the review view mirror)

100.0%
  2. Lower left on windshield (driver's side)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lower right on windshield (passenger's side)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other location (maybe illegal)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Swingshiftworker

Swingshiftworker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inventor00 @ Dec 18 2005, 01:21 PM) [snapback]175308[/snapback]</div>
    That's my reason for not mounting it on the window of my 4 vehicles. Actually, when I registered my Prius w/Fastrak, they told me I have to use THAT one just in the Prius. So, I just have to move 1 transponder between 3 vehicles.

Just the same, I live in SF and don't go over any bridge all that often and I don't like that BIG & UGLY square thing sitting on my windshield when I don't need to use it. I also don't like the look of the 2 naked velcro strips on the windshield when the transponder is not attached to them. What I've done is tape the transponder using the stock velcro strips to a trimmed down "Sticky Pad." This keeps the transponder from slipping when it put it on top and in the center of the dashboard, where it works just fine.

BTW, who cares if its "illegal" to put it anywhere than on the windshield? I just saw the reply stating that someone did in fact get a ticket for not having the transponder in the required position, but that was a really cheap ticket and I would have fought it. The CHPer must have been having a very BAD day and decided to take it out on the driver or the driver might have been an a**hole and the CHPer decided to do it in order just to get the driver on something. In either case, I think it's a very rare event and have no intention of mounting it where "required."

Besides, even if you have the transponder in the required position, if the transponder doesn't work (which is quite common), they have cameras to take a photo of your license plate and, as long as your car is properly registered w/Fastrak, they just charge your account.

So, you really don't even have to put the transponder in your car in order to use the Fastrak lane. Never saw any CHPer chase down a transponderless Fastrak lane user or a driver whose transponder failed to function ... just the carpool lane jumpers on the Bridge, which is an entirely different matter -- they're trying to get across w/o paying at all. In contrast, even w/o a transponder in your car, you will be charged by Fastrak for the toll after they pickup your license plate from the photo. So, no harm - no foul.

But, I'd still carry the transponder with you just in case you get stopped by a CHPer (like the unlucky reportee here) w/quick attach suction cups if need be, after passing through the Fasttrak lane. No need for additional questions beyond the purported traffic violation. ;)

2. mwhaley99

mwhaley99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was stopped by CHP the other day on the I-241 Toll Road in CA.

He asked me why I thought he had stopped me and I said I had no idea, he said I did not see your transponder (at that point he gazed up at the transponder above the rear view mirror and said, oh sorry I did not see it).

Then he let me go.

Apparently the toll road companies pay the CHP to patrol the toll roads and I see them stopping people all the time and most times someone is getting a ticket.

I was once stopped and got a ticket for not having a front number plate (the car had been in a crash and I never put it back on the car)

I think they just like to write tickets and rake in even more money from us.

Its like we are easy pray and will ticket 99% of the time.

3. OriginalGT

OriginalGT New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 24 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]229834[/snapback]</div>
    Slightly off topic, but believe it or not, the HOV lane is not intended to ease congestion on our freeways. It's actually to reduce emissions which I assume is why hybrids are being allowed in the carpool lanes (at least until 2008).

4. davidf

davidf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OriginalGT @ Jul 8 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]283162[/snapback]</div>
    I think the purpose depends on where you are. The Washington State Dept of Transportation states that the purpose for HOV lanes in much of California (to reduce emmissions) is in contrast to the purpose in Washington (to ease traffic congestion.

From the WSDOT site (in response to 'can single-occupant green vehicles use the HOV lanes'):

"Fuel-efficient and clean-fuel vehicles reduce the amount of pollutants in the environment and improve the air we breathe. These vehicles do not, however, contribute to reducing traffic congestion when they are operated with only a single occupant. The main purpose of the HOV system is to move people, not vehicles. As a single-occupant vehicle, fuel-efficient cars do not increase the number of people moved on a freeway HOV lane." (ref: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/HOV/guide.htm)