1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fatally Disappointed--The Thread I never wanted to write.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Electric Me, Sep 28, 2013.

1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't try a re-paint, if it is coming from underneath the same thing could happen to the new paint. Or you could try a repaint on one area first, say the hood for example.

Prieth likes this.
  2. bholdn

bholdn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Perhaps you could have your car wrapped in vinyl advertising, earn some money for it, and make lemons out of this lemonade.

3. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A body wrap that shouts "An Unhappy Toyota Customer" :)

4. bholdn

bholdn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, I was thinking that too... but trying to be nice. ;)

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If Toyota or insurance doesn't take care of you, then I would either live with it or trade it in. Say you keep it for 4 years, you'd take a loss in resale due to the spots. I'd argue that if you repainted, you'd take a larger loss due to faded paint plus whatever you paid for the paint job.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, I understand all of that (and all your frustration) but, the bottom line is, you still have the problem. Now you have to either do something about it or , live with it. A clay bar is not nearly agressive enough. They are for a showroom finish which means polishing. You need something to cut not polish. If you still have the rubbing compound, and you truly want to try to fix it, try what I said on the least visible spot and report the results back to us.

The body shops don't want to touch it because of the liability. If they screw it up, they have to fix it at their expense. I would encourage you to not seek anymore outside assistance for 2 reasons, 1) any third party will be concerned about the liability of ruining the paint and having to cover the paintjob at their expense and 2) they don't care nearly as much about your car as you do.

As I said before, you have to decide if you want to fix it or live with it. If the answer is, you want to fix it, then you have nothing to lose by trying this option. If the spots are only in the clearcoat, then the worst case scenario should be, rubbing compound or high grit sandpaper to the color coat and respray the clear. Buff it out and you're done. If its into the clear then repaint that particular body panel. Either way, it should not be that high of an expense.

I'll let you decide what you should do but just remember, I'm here to help and bounce ideas off of. I've been doing this kind of repair for a long time and I know a thing or two about it. The least we can do is make sure the body shops don't take advantage of you. If you want more advice or have questions, I'll be glad to answer them. Other than that, I will stop pressuring you. I truly hope this all works out for the best.!!! :)

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh...you've never seen me unhappy....you wouldn't like me when I'm unhappy......

Prieth likes this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still have a scientific curosity what caused this and if there are more cases. The more cases could be other motorists exposed to the same highway event, or more Prii with the problem. I am thinking Electric Me wants to get this looking better with a paint job. But waiting a little might help to see further data. I would be tempted to purchase some Toyota touch up paint and cover a few spots and monitor.

9. michinnom

michinnom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fatally dramatic. Should have skipped this thread.

10. KyleT

KyleT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ^^^Yup.^^^

I actually happened to notice one of these spots on my blizzard pearl car today. Even with a fingernail it felt perfectly smooth - yet we can get this out.

[​IMG]

I went to work with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound (which is abrasive, yet polishes out so nicely that it can actually be a last step product before waxing if you are in a hurry - this also means its hard to damage your clearcoat with this stuff).

Cleaned the dirt off the area then applied the product to a Lake Country CCS Orange pad.
    [​IMG]

Almost gone after just a minute or so. Another minute of work and.

[​IMG]

It's gone.

Now if I had a larger panel and a whole bunch of these, I'd just use the Porter Cable random-orbital (with a cutting pad similar to the hand pad I used here) and I could do a whole panel in a few minutes, possibly even something like the Meguiars Polish which is even less abrasive than the compound.

;)

cycledrum, uropip and mmmodem like this.
  12. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You mean its not screwed up forever???? You don't need a whole new paintjob?????? You are amazing!!!!! LOL.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read in a NUMMI tour brochure (Toyota / GM venture that built Tacoma / Corollas for years) that the factory paint process would take like 11 hours per car. They use clean rooms where no one can wear hair spray or any contaminants, car goes through a number of processes.

I can't imagine how any body shop Joe with a friggen draft hood can come anywhere near a factory paint job.

zhenya likes this.
  14. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll check ours now since we have the same color.
    I'm sorry for your pain. I'd be angry as well.
    If the spots are imbedded metal and get painted over I suspect the problem could return...thus a thorough sanding and primer up job is needed.
    Consult the insurance company.
    Painting will lower your car's trade value significantly (even a quality job) since , as the used car managers will tell you, the next buyer will only assume it was badly damaged and repainted. I've been there several times.
    Take the insurance settlement and work at the spots yourself. Save the insurance $ for part of your next auto down-payment.

15. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sheesh folks. This is not a Toyota issue. This is not an insurance issue.

It doesn't require sanding and primer. It doesn't require a repaint.

I don't know how the solution could be presented any clearer yet here we are after 6 pages...

uropip, Paradox and usnavystgc like this.
  16. rsb97080

rsb97080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're preaching to the choir with me, Electric.

17. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I appreciate the advice and support of everyone, even if I disagree with the opinions of some.

I would say, that a lot has been done to the vehicle to try to remove the spots without a repaint. That is I have tried clay bar and commercial compounds and elbow grease.

I've also had several body shops and detailers look at it. One detailer actually take the vehicle and try to remove the spots.

Everyone who has had the vehicle and tried anything is telling me these spots cannot be easily removed by any conventional detailing or cleaning process.

I wish that it was as simple an issue as applying some rubbing compound and being able to remove these spots. Regrettably it is not.

18. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you haven't personally tried rubbing compound, you can't say that. Bring the car to me and I'll get this off for $500. I get the feeling you really don't want to fix it. It sounds to me like your happy to just keep complaining about it. The people telling you this also have liability issues as I explained earlier. I'm telling you if you want this fixed, refer to my earlier post. The solution is there. If you don't (which is what it sounds like) stop letting it get you down. Life is too short to be unhappy about car paint for more than a day or two. :)

bdf and zhenya like this.
  19. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL^^^

I almost write the same post a week or so ago.

You don't know what's been tried other than the acid wash. You didn't use the resources I provided you initially to find a real detailer in your area, you didn't even call your guy back to find out what was done. I am 99.5% certain this can be removed with relative ease.

bdf likes this.
  20. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I was anywhere near Bowling Green Kentucky I'd be more than happy to give you your shot. I'd be betting on you being surprised and failing....as others have..but I'd also be more than happy to be wrong.

And I am "down" on this situation as far as I bought a new vehicle and was expecting to NOT have any worries about it for many years. Unfortunately this has not been the case.

But I do realize that this is ultimately just a car.....one that is mechanically working fine, and even looks fine if you don't get too close.....bigger problems do exist in the universe.

In an effort to not seem to be complaining...I've tried at this point to only keep my discussions limited to private conversations or just an update when a tangible event happens. And as far as the rest of my discussion within Prius Chat? I have tried to not let my current struggles taint or affect any of my comments or advice to fellow Prius Chat participants. I realize I am not the center of the universe.

I haven't done much the past few weeks.....because of life and the fact that other challenges and problems do exist. I am kind of at a crossroads with this situation.

I don't know how many times I have stated that detailing/cleaning remedies have been tried. By myself and others. I may try a few more...I have nothing to lose. But I have SERIOUS doubts concerning these resulting in positive resolution.

I'm unhappy and disappointed about this specific reality. But I am not unhappy in life as whole. Life is good.....My Prius has spots, I separate the two.