1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fatally Disappointed--The Thread I never wanted to write.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Electric Me, Sep 28, 2013.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can have SERIOUS doubts all you want. The fact is I offered you three solutions. I 100% guarantee one of those solutions will work. It does make sense to try the easiest one first (which is rubbing compound).

Rubbing compound is not a detailing/cleaning remedy btw. Most shops won't try rubbing compound on a car b/c of the liability issues. Rubbing compound is much more abrasive than anything you've mentioned has been tried. If you really want to solve this problem, this is the first step. If not, I can't help you (but Lord knows, I tried).

2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As stated numerous times, there are plenty of people who can do the kind of work this needs, but Joe's detailing behind the gas station won't touch it when all he plans to do is wash and wax it. A professional detailer will take care of this with no issues. They know to try their methods on a small, inconspicous area first and to work slowly so they won't do any damage they can't reverse.

Here is the kind of work we are talking about. If they can fix this kind of damage, they can remove your spots.

VWVortex.com - DetailersDomain.com - Much needed paint correction on this BMW M5 e39

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

50/50
    [​IMG]

usnavystgc likes this.
  3. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ^^^^^^ Nice. :)

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Comp claim in your insurance if all else fails. Seriously, not a single picture?

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  6. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm an amateur detailer and I guarantee as well I could get those spots off. I've restored cars to perfection just like the BMW above. It's not hard. You need a Porter Cable 7424, some Meguiars Ultimate compound, some swirl and scratch remover, and the right cutting pads for each product.

I can't believe after 7 pages you haven't done what's been recommended. You really have no idea what was done ... They said they acid washed it 3 times ... Who knows if they did ? You said you took it to a detailer who 'worked on it', yet you have no idea what he did, what products he used, or what equipment he used. These are all pertinent points in resolving this.

You either want to resolve this or you just want to bitch and moan about it. If you want to resolve it, then DO WHAT PEOPLE HAVE RECOMMENDED or live with it. I can't believe this thread is 7 pages long and YOU HAVENT TRIED ANYTHING THAT HAS A CHANCE OF WORKING.

There is absolutely nothing that can't be resolved on brand new paint. If you f*** something up on an out of the way place who cares ? I would have had this resolved in 15 minutes one way or the other.

I'm starting to believe you're not interested in solving the problem.

REV

uropip and usnavystgc like this.
  7. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    100% concur with revhigh.

8. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If this is just an aggressive detailing job, then why does the Toyota dealer and Toyota refuse to take care of it and make their customer happy?

9. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because Toyota dealers are not detailing experts. It's also not a warranty issue; it's a normal part of owning a car. Consider it wear and tear. Toyota isn't going to give you a warranty paint job because you get a rock chip in your hood either.

uropip and usnavystgc like this.
  10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you owned a dealership, would you do it? Dealerships are not paint experts. If they mess it up, they will be on the hook to repaint the car. Would you want that liability? For the dealer, it comes down to a liability issue.

11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I owned a dealership I would do what was needed to make the customer happy and earn their future business. If that meant bringing in a competent detailer subcontractor for the job, yes. I wouldn't tell my customer they were on their own and send them away. My job as a dealer is to serve the customer with the products and services they want.

12. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You wouldn't last long as a dealer.

bdf and uropip like this.
  13. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Correct ... Same as most detailers. People are so sue happy today that businesses need to be very careful.

Try what has been recommended .... There is no way that those spots can't be removed ... That is simply not possible. The right chemicals, compounds, and buffing media can remove anything.

REV

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What you guys are advocating is that the least experienced person in this scenario take on the task that "experts" shy away from because of the high risk of screwing it up.

Prieth likes this.
  15. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Really ? So if a customer wrecked his car through no fault of the dealership, you'd fix it ?

This was a 'well after the sale' incident. Toyota had NOTHING to do with what happened. The dealership has already gone above and beyond IMO.

You have an owner who is absolutely uncommitted to resolving the problem if it involves any work whatsoever on his part, even to the point of knowing what was done to his car. This whole thing could be resolved in 10 minutes by using a little rubbing compound on an inconspicuous area of the car and after 7 pages still has not been done.

This is a no win situation and a ridiculous thread at this point.

usnavystgc likes this.
  16. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course I would. That is the business I would be in, taking care of the customer.

17. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh please ... Taking a dab of rubbing compound on a rag in the least conspicuous area of the car and working on one spot is not risking 'screwing anything up'. How in the hell is anybody supposed to determine what will and won't work ? Nobody is suggesting he cover the car with compound and go at it with a 10,000 RPM rotary buffer with a wool pad.

This is just ridiculous at this point.

REC

18. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is so simple, why won't the detailer or the dealer do it?

19. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And you would not be in business very long either.

Sounds like obamacarcare to me ..... Mess something up and somebody else is expected to pay for it.

REV

Silver bullit and usnavystgc like this.
  20. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

In part because of the liability, but more because they probably just don't know how to handle it.

In this thread we've already done far more than the dealer would know how to do - we've looked at pictures, discussed what has been done, and several experienced people have weighed in with specific suggestions for rectifying the issue, even going to the point of recommending specific tools and compounds and even giving demonstrations of fixing the same issue. All the hard work is done. Now all he has to do is get those products and try it.

The hard part isn't doing it, it's knowing what to do.