1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Faux p0a80 code?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Moomoo69, Jun 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Moomoo69

Moomoo69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all. I got the p0a80 code after I came back from vacation and not driving the car for 8 days. I did the quick fix, pull the negative battery wire and wait for a min then put back. I did purchase the deluxe reconditioning kit from hybrid automotive.com and followed the instructions to a T charging and discharging 3 times then a big charge at the end. I also replaced the spark plugs. The hybrid battery does seem better, it's draining less quickly and overall is better but the code still comes on with the warning "check hybrid battery".

It seems to only happen when the car is switching from electric to gas as well. One instance I was just sitting in the car and the battery got low so the engine kicked on and you can feel the transition kinda harder than normal, it was not seamless. Lights and code came on again. Next instance I was driving slow and car went from electric to gas then lights and code came on again. For this instance I'm not sure if I pressed the gas at the same exact time the car transitioned from electric to gas, but should that make a difference?

My question is can this code appear from something else besides a bad hybrid battery? The deluxe reconditioning kit was $800 and seemed to work, they even claim it balances the cells. It also seems strange it's only happening when it goes from electric to gas in specific conditions. When I reset the battery to get rid of the code and dash lights, it drives fine/normal and doesn't come back on until it's triggered by similar situations like above.

Any ideas?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Grid charging will balance the cells and might even help with some degradation. But it won't fix a bad cell. P0A80 doesn't lie, but it might be worth it to make sure the battery fan is clean before spending big bucks.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And the inverters shows good output. To keep HV up? Inverter is not getting hot ? Inverter coolant pump performance etc.

4. Moomoo69

Moomoo69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will check the fan again but it looked good when I installed the reconditioning pack to the battery. Guess I need to check the cells/modules individually as well.

5. Moomoo69

Moomoo69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you think an app could tell me those numbers?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

7. Moomoo69

Moomoo69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    210k. 2012.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds about right, all the best with the grid charging!

9. Moomoo69

Moomoo69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got the Drprius app and it says I have a poor balance in block 7, and the battery temperature is higher. I ran the test twice and got the same results. I will open the fan and clean it for sure but I remember it looked fine when I hooked up the charging grid.

A few questions. What is block 7? I know I can replace modules, are they referring to a set of modules? Second, how much should I trust this app? Does anyone have experience with Drprius?

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bisco and CR94 like this.