1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured FCA Pacifica Hybrid MiniVan Beats Expectations

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by inferno, Dec 2, 2016.

1. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone looking for a Hybrid Minivan (and not the HiHy SUV variant) - you may find this interesting. The 2017 Pacifica is rated really well in safety and supposedly reliability. But the Hybrid *Plug-In* version seems to fair better. This is definitely going to take shares out of the cheaper Highlander Hybrid because now we're speaking of a MiniVan with the ability to go 33 Miles EST EV on each plugin (that's basically a gallon of gas for it). AND 32 MPG after the batteries dry up.

I can't see a negative in comparison, especially if your state has incentives and you can take advantage of the $7.5k federal tax credit (assuming it doesn't go away!) Wow...This is the 6+ seater I've been looking for.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Granted High Marks — EPA-Rated 84 MPGe Fuel Economy | CleanTechnica

How is FCA and Toyota undercutting their figures? Don't they have the EPA methodology which is how they target their ratings in the first place? Yet the Prime seems to be performing even higher...I wonder if it's political? Whatever it is, it's great news and the Pacifica Hybrid, even tested in LA got above the original estimate of 30 miles EV.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They run multiple repetitions of the test, and simply only use the ones with lower results for the final average. This also cuts the risk of the EPA getting lower than reported numbers if they audit the vehicle.

It likely isn't violating the law to use a lower value on the car's label and in marketing. So they could be using the best value for CAFE, and calling it lower on the window sticker, because customers that get or beat that number are happier customers.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll be in the market for a 3rd row vehicle and the Pacific just shot up to the top of my list. In fact, with the rebates, the plug in costs less than their regular gasoline counterparts. The battery sits in the stow and go compartment in the middle of the car where it can help with stability and not take up other cargo space. You lose the stow and go ability but you can still take out the second row seats.

The only negative I see is the EV experience is entirely automatic. There is no EV button or mountain hold. The car will determine whether you should be in EV or not. Your only control is to not blip the throttle beyond 50% which causes the ICE to turn on. DW won't care as she just drives the car. I like to mess with things.

inferno likes this.
  4. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Yeah the custom EV experience is something I like, but then again maybe just pay attention to the road with that big hauler and family in tow. And yes...my DW doesn't use the EV button on the PiP either...

mmmodem likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Inferno- Yes looks good.
    I have a 2009 VW Routan minivan which is basically a Dodge Caravan, but the VW version had very similar seat layout as the new hybrid/plug-in Pacifica.

Minivan is a misnomer, it's pretty big and my wife has now fallen out of love with the bigger minivans of today. The 2nd row is two bucket seats, which are fairly easy to take out. Heated bucket seats no less, funny they can put heat to the seats even though you can take em out. Third row is nice but for smaller bodies. Put the seats down and you have a humongous cargo space. I often put my kayak in there with the front seat down.

PS- The 3rd row seat folds backwards, so it makes like a bench to sit on for looking out the back of the car, like to to see fireworks or something...but we've never seen a use for that.

#5 wjtracy, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    FCA's market research likely showed them this, and thus the decision to keep it all automatic. Put in too many extra controls, and it might scare away some customers that have had no experience with even a hybrid.

7. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I want to know how automakers get their "market research". Prime, 2 seats in the back...Wth. Another turnoff is non-8-seat Pacifica Hybrid, but that's more minor than the Prime inability to take 5 squished bodies. It is cool to see a moonroof Hybrid though because the regular Pacifica only seats 7 with that option anyway.

Next up, AWeD

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! 30+ miles of ev for less than a prime? incredible. when do they hit the showrooms?

9. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How is it less than a Prime?

It's ~$34000 after incentives, Prime is 10k cheaper for half the seats and just a little less distance (including the 4.5k credit).

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, i thought 34k before incentives. but still, mini vans aren't cheap these days. depends on accessories i suppose.

11. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It starts at $41,995. If you get the full federal tax credit, that lops it down to $34,495, which is pretty comparable to the gas version. States that have extra rebates/credits should see more off the price tag.

Production Now Underway On 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Plug-In Hybrid

I honestly hope that the Pacifica hybrid sells well, along with the Chevy Bolt and Prius Prime, so as to encourage more plug-in sales. The more plug-ins people see on the roads, and the more charging stations they see being built, the more confident they'll be that it'll work for them as well.

Now, if only Mitsubishi would hurry up with their Outlander PHEV in the US. It's apparently selling well in Japan and Europe, but they keep delaying it, and losing valuable time on market. I hope we'll be seeing new plug-in SUV's being introduced soon, maybe within a year or two.

bisco likes this.
  12. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What I find tantalizing is knowing the that Van will perform the same or better than the new Highlander Hybrid which people rave about. It's a darn van, more space! More features, friendlier for families......and it plugs in!

What's also interesting is the Honda Odyssey Hybrid which they said they have their crosshairs on FCA, if the Pacifica Hybrid starts to sell well they are prepared to bring it to the US. Very interesting strategies going on in the market, I definitely think this is the age of plugins/solar hybrids, and when batteries can hold more charge and can get charged fast we will see the electrical infrastructure move faster.

Boo on Tesla charging for their stations now...with the current gas prices it's no longer viable to charge your vehicle unless it has high mpge which the Prime (and maybe Ioniq?) certainly have.

bwilson4web likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's really boo on the jerks that always ruin it for the rest of us by abusing a good thing. Fast DC charging is meant to allow a quick refill of a BEV so it can work on a long trip. Some people were using Superchargers all the time for their daily driving. Electric cost to Tesla aside, this meant they take up a space that someone that needs the charger for its intended purpose could use.

As it is, people getting a Tesla in 2017 only have to pay for a Supercharger after they have used 400kWh a year; that is about a thousand miles.

Also keep in mind that the people buying a Model S or X coming from a similar ICE car are likely use to fuel economy in the teens to low twenties.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this whole free charging thing is a black eye on ev drivers. how is the 500e doing? grow a pair and pay for your electricity. there's no free gas.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What I've found with my BMW i3-REX, it makes no sense to use the Fast DC charger at any SOC above 65%.

Above 65% our local, 30 minute limited, 100A fast charger is no better than a 30A, L2 EVSE. Above 80-85%, I might as well use a 12A, L1. The built-in, AC-to-DC chargers bring the car up to 100% SOC whereas the fast DC charger only reaches 97%.

Bob Wilson

16. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's another article that might draw some interest: Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid: Impressive 32 MPG, With 36 Miles Electric City Range

Basically it's amazing to see that the EPA tested the Pacifica at highway speeds and got close to 30 miles EV. Is there a similar test like this to other vehicles (like the Prime?) Was the Prime original 22 EV meant for Highway miles (meanwhile the PiP EV seems to be around 7 or 8 highway miles if you baby the pedal for acceleration).

What's also amazing is the variance in terms of pure hybrid mode. There's barely any. It performs higher in highway mode, most likely attributing to the aerodynamics and modified engine for the hybrid. Then it's 32 MPG in the city. "Composite" is an interesting figure. Does this mean if you plugin, the total MPG for a full tank of gas and engine is 52 MPG (http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/pacifica-4.jpg) ?

So if you intend to plug you get a 52 MPG minivan? That's crazy awesome!

I like this spreadsheet, we need more transparency in the EPA, though I still wonder how they test (do they use people, machinery)? What's highway speeds? 60 mph?

17. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The same FCA that is going to soon be fighting a class action suite for bypassing emission controls alongside Bosch, hmm

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this the same company that gave us the 500e?

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not so sure that case will go anywhere. Without CARB/EPA signing on, it will be a heavy lift however, I did find this technical article: http://wardsauto.com/2016/fca-ecodiesel-quiet-center-storm

A key contributor to the Ecodiesel’s performance and refinement, as well as its emissions compliance, is a multi-pulse injection concept Fiat developed some years ago. Small “pilot” injections of fuel before the main injection create a better air-fuel mixture for more efficient combustion and lower emissions. Then post-combustion spritzes send fuel through the exhaust system to create bursts of heat that clean the diesel particulate filter. As a side benefit, using multiple shorter, smaller injections also reduces diesel clatter.
    . . .
    “The EcoDiesel’s variable geometry turbocharger and the multiple-injection capability of Multi-Jet II technology are the most significant contributors, because they afford greater control over air and fuel management. Multi-Jet II utilizes high-dispersion nozzles that can accommodate up to eight injection events per combustion cycle.” It also required additional fine-tuning of its engine management controls. “Electronic controls are among the most powerful tools we have to achieve performance gains,” Lee says. “We developed new control strategies to shape torque in response to all the relevant inputs – pedal, transmission, engine and vehicle speed. This also required us to introduce new combustion controls to maintain emissions compliance . . .

Understand I'm not anti-diesel as much as anti-hyped diesel. It can be made to work but VW (and others!) screwed the pooch. Simple diesel does not work.

Bob Wilson

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    um . . . . Maybe if you figure by cubic feet of interior space - storage per dollar divided buy nothing else virtually has that amount of plug-in mileage for that price?