1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fear of Smart Meters...

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, May 29, 2011.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is this yet another example of the scientifically challenged being unable to keep things in perspective?

Smart meters, PG&E: Opponents of PG&E 'smart meters' stand firm - latimes.com
    Methinks that some people have watched The Ring one too many times.

I'm guessing a lot of people who don't want the smart meter won't be giving up their cell phones anytime soon.

2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hey it is CA, they must be stoned out of their minds!

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm just afraid of the horror stories of people getting enormously inflated bills because the new meters didn't measure correctly.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd be sceptical too. A few years ago the water companies here wanted to fit meters (previously it was just a set fee banded off your size of house) and said it would be much cheaper if you were metered.

What a crock of ****. Why did I believe them? My water bills are much bigger than those who still pay the set banded fee and there are only two of us in the house. Can I remove the meter and go back? No.

So I quite understand the concern of these residents getting 'smart' meters fitted. If the utility company think it's a good idea then it's usually only a good idea for THEM!

5. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You must use a lot of water Grumpy :(
    Anglian water put us on a £50/month band when we moved in, there's just two of us. After having the meter we're on £16 a month.

6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This happens.. if meter has issues and doesn't emit reading. The billing system is set up to generate ridiculous charge if meter was not read, to force you to call and schedule repair. This is the case with water meters since those are indoors, should not be the case with gas/electric as those are outside anyways.

It is all part of AGW conspiracy.

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was about £30 month here and now our use is nearer £45-£50 a month. I use an eco, low water washer and contrary to popular southern misinformation, we do wash daily up here ;)

I even got them to replace the meter and have been checked for leaks as the bill was just too high but it has all checked out ok. OK I might use a sprinkler on the lawn every now and then :D but that's not the point. lol

8. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, your water costs are pretty high there! I pay roughly $60/quarter except during summer when my sprinkler system runs. Then it usually doubles my cost. I've got 1 - 2.5gpm shower head for my shower and a 1.75 gpm head for the other shower. Low flow toilets, HE washing machine, and dish washer gets run every 5 days or so. Then again, there are places whose costs are 10x what mine are in this country too.

On topic, if I owned the electric company, I'd shut off their power if they blocked the meter. The meter is the property of the power company. Then again, I don't own the power company, either! I've had 2 meters installed over the past 3.5 years - one when my PV array went online and then they just switched to a new smart meter earlier this year. No issues to me, but as others have said, I'm not no Californian either.

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe without the meters people who use more just aren't paying their fair share.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That happened here. Our water authority is still trying to sort out the mess.

Tom