1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

February 2012 Prius v Sales

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by M8s, Mar 2, 2012.

1. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've been trying to find out how many Prius vees were sold in February. If my math is correct, here's what I get from the chart of total "Prius Family" sales for February (20,589) and the Toyota spokesman's comment that liftback sales were up 22% over February 2011 figures (13,539).

In February 2012, the "Prius Family" was only two vehicles: the liftback and the vee. So, if the liftback was up 22%, then that works out to 16,518 liftbacks sold last month (that's 22% over year ago figures of 13,539).

That leaves 20,589 - 16,518 = 4,071 Prius vees sold in February, 2011. Pretty strong for a model that's only been out since 10/24/11. I guess that answers the question (for me at least) as to whether Prius v sales would "cannibalize" liftback sales.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, 4,000 is OK but not stunning. The small SUV and small CUV markets are pretty big and it's not all about 4WD. Also we knew there was some pent-up demand for an efficient wagon since I believe the Sportwagen TDI was selling 1500 per month (it has one of the highest diesel takes) in a land where diesel consideration is only now up to 35%. It's early days yet, both in terms of pent-up demand and in getting consideration for a "w****". I'd give it at least a year..

We know from PriusChat postings that some owners have upsized, but there are positive signs since the reports from Toyota and dealers describe the v effect as:
    - Majority of customers buying the v are new to Toyota
    - Some new customers come to look at the v and then realize that the liftback is more than enough for them (as we all knew).

3. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I hear what you're saying. But, what if the Volt were selling at that rate? Would that be "stunning?" I would say it is. No reason to have a different, higher, standard just because it's a Toyota.

I also believe these figures say that there was a need for a hybrid with a bit more room than the liftback. I met a family of 4 that went to buy a highlander and ended up with a vee. They couldn't have been happier.

At any rate, I doubt that liftback sales are suffering as a result of the vee's introduction. IOW, little (if any) "cannibalization" is taking place.