1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Federal and State Incentives for Plug-Ins, EV's

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by wjtracy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That was posted in FHOP.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MD Boosts Electric-Car Tax Credit, CA Adds Funds To Rebate Program

Incentives news for CA and MD:
    • California (CA)- plug-in credits has funds again. $1500 for PiP.
    • Maryland (MD)- The good news is the current $600 Plug_in credit for PiP is extended but the bad news is the amount is reduced to $550 for PiP. On the other hand, Volt incentive is increased to $2000, and Leaf/Tesla to $3000. With a low MD sales tax (6%) and incentives, MD is a very good place to buy a plug-in. We still need Gov signature, and there is an incentive for home charging equipment too.

4. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I buy a new 2013 Plug-In Prius right now, do I qualify for the $2500 even though it's 2014 right now? I'm in Massachusetts if it matters.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Robert I believe yes on the Federal $2500 tax credit as long as you are orig title owner.
    One thing you want to check out, I assume you know MA has a new state PiP credit starting this year. I am not sure the rules or timing there.

6. Robert Fahey

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I'm not familiar with a new state incentive, and can't find anything online (in the last five minutes anyway). Will keep plugging -- uh, I mean searching for it.

7. Robert Fahey

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Found this, but it's pretty vague. I can't post links, so you'd have to put the usual web prefix on this

.afdc.energy.gov/laws/law/MA/11345

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Folks- I got so excited about the new PiP incentives (TX, MA) coming for 2014, I made a lot of updates to the OP.
    • added DC, TX, MA and some other states
    • updated NJ, VA, MD, PA and some other states
    • I added JimboPalmer's list of 2014 CARB states for completeness
    As always, please keep us abreast of incentives we may be missing...our primary focus is PiP/Prius incentives since the other plug-ins tend to be well covered in other places. Sometimes it's hard to figure out how states handle PiP in their incentives structure.

10. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I bought my PiP in January so I would claim the federal $2500 tax credit when I file my taxes next year in 2015. Just curious what would happen if I sold my PiP this year? Would I still claim it or would I pass this credit on to a prospective buyer?

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Without looking up the rules, my understanding is the Federal credit goes to the first buyer. That's why we had, in the early days of the Volt sales, some dealers were buying Volts to get the $7500, and then selling them as I recall.

I should mention, as you probably know, your CARB rebate is a whole different story...I think you're supposed to hold the car 3 yrs and I'd be clueless how CARB handles a hypothetical case where you trade a PHEV for an EV during the same year.

#271 wjtracy, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  12. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, if you resell (or trade in) the car, you are expected to send them a refund for the check you cashed.
    Also, CARB does not administer the program, CVRP does.

wjtracy likes this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More Good Incentives NEWS!!

CA - California HOV Green Stickers: More stickers coming, it appears almost certain
    MA - Massachusetts now active w/ $1500 PiP incentive starting 6/18/2014 (see separate post)
    VT - Vermont has $500 incentive (just a few) (see separate post)

2014 shaping up well for PiP!

#273 wjtracy, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  14. GenSao

GenSao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great news, I was forwarded the below email:

-=-=-

Dealer Principals, General Managers and Sales Managers:

On Friday, Gov. Brown signed the state budget including the budget trailer bill that authorizes the availability of 15,000 green stickers immediately (SB 853 -
    http://leginfo.ca.gov/pub/13-14/bill/sen/sb_0851-0900/sb_853_bill_20140617_enrolled.pdf, page 15 :
    Customers who purchased an eligible PHV after the last HOV stickers were depleted (roughly between early April and now) are eligible for the HOV Sticker. During this time, the DMV did not reject any of the applications that were submitted requesting stickers even though the HOV stickers under the previous 40,000 cap were exhausted in May. Therefore all HOV sticker applications are still active and the DMV will start processing them as early as today. There is no need for an applicant to resubmit an application and there will be no gap in the issuing of HOV stickers for applications received during the period of depletion of the previous cap and the new higher cap authorization.

For dealers, the Dealer Sticker program was previously suspended when the quantity of HOV stickers issued neared the previous cap authorization. The DMV has not announced when the Dealer Sticker program will restart. The assumption is that the DMV will fully resolve the backlog of applications and then a date for the Dealer Sticker program recommencing will be announced. The priority of the sticker allocation will focus on current eligible consumer vehicles.

In addition to this great news, rest assured that there are continuing our efforts on AB 2013 that will provide an additional 15,000 stickers beginning on January 1, 2015. These would be in addition to the State Budget Trailer Bill signed on Friday.

Good news that will hopefully motivate new buyers for our available Prius Plug-Ins!

Jason Whitmire
    Vehicle Field Sales Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc
    San Francisco Region

[Contact information deleted]

15. tweaver

tweaver New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "YAY! finally some good news on the incentives front...it's been so boring around here since WV got rid of their $7500 tax credit last year. I hope MA shows some respect for PiP and it qualifies."

Has anyone successfully received the MA incentive? What about on a lease via the dealer?

The Boston/Cambridge Toyota dealerships are so out of the loop! I've had 2 seperate dealers tell me there weren't anymore new plug-ins available, and one tell me I'd have to talk to my accountant about the federal incentive (and were were discussing leasing)! I'm assuming the dealers (especially in MA) dodge the incentive whenever possible.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We just had a big Prius convention in Boston (see TGB4 2014) in case you missed it.
    I was not there, but I believe a prominent dealer(s) assisted so that may be the place to start.
    I see no reason for them to dodge the incentive since it is not out of their pockets.

I don't recall any takers yet for the MA incentive...

tweaver likes this.
  17. tweaver

tweaver New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "We just had a big Prius convention in Boston (see TGB4 2014) in case you missed it.
    I was not there, but I believe a prominent dealer(s) assisted so that may be the place to start."

Anyone go to this convention and know which local (Boston Area) dealers were there? I can't seem to find this out on the TGB4 2014 website.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...write a PM to Bisco if he doesn't show up...he's your local PiP owner and senior member here

19. getinthecar

getinthecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So... buying a 2015 PIP in WA state this weekend. Qualifies for 2500 federal tax rebate correct? Sorry for this dumb question. The first post link is dead.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes keep in mind it's a tax credit so you have to owe that much tax to take the credit

I'll check the link tnx!

mozdzen likes this.