1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Federal and State Incentives for Plug-Ins, EV's

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by wjtracy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Ya, I see what you are saying.

I have read some articles regarding used EV vehicles selling for crazy low prices as in 1/3 of original price in only 3 years.

On the flip side, in calif at least, I am seeing late model used Prius plug ins selling for more than a new one with incentives which boggles my mind.

When I look for plug ins outside of California, I see them asking for $3,000 to $4,000 less.

Even though I see calif prices as high, I don't know what they actually sold for.

So long as the gas prices continued to fall, I am hoping these Prius prices become less inflated as far as price.

iPhone ?

#301 sillylilwabbit, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Do the new Plugin Prius have HOV stickers?
    If not, that may explain it.

3. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Yes, the new ones have HOV stickers. Calif extended or increased the amount of HOV stickers.

iPhone ?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a new Plug-In incentive in Connecticutt...not sure what PiP gets

Connecticut is offering money off the cars directly from a $1 million fund aimed at moving cars off lots. The state is putting up to $3,000 on the hoods of some cars, depending on battery size, to incentive purchases of hybrids and electric cars. Through July, about one-quarter of the incentive money available had been claimed.

“This is the type of program that can be a win-win-win for the state, auto manufacturers, dealers and consumers,” said Leo Karl, who owns a Chevrolet dealership. Karl said he was nearly out of 2015 Volts, which qualify for $1,500 from the program, and expects that the 2016 Volt, which will qualify for $3,000, will go quickly too.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking about updating for some new incentives, but not much use with new PiP mostly gone. The purpose of this thread was to capture state and Federal incentives for new PiP purchases.

We still have a little advising work. Anyone who bought a new PiP in 2015 will qualify for the Federal $2500 tax credit on their 2015 taxes due April 2016.

We had some exciting times on this thread. When PiP came out in 2012, West Virginia had a $7500 state tax credit over and above the federal $7500 credit. That was wildly fun while it lasted.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gen2 PiP supposed to come out shortly after Gen4 Prius. You'll have a lot more to update then. :)

wjtracy likes this.
  7. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Zythryn likes this.
  8. Mark in NY

Mark in NY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Update on NY rebate:
    Law passed in April 2016 and budget money was allocated - $2000 for each plug-in vehicle.
    This is being handled through NYSERDA. Even though the money is there, the mechanism has not been put in place. Was told that the law mandated NYSERDA have a procedure in place by April 2017.

NEW YORK
    NY state appears to be in with the crowd (VA, NJ, GA) that does not give state tax PiP incentives. You do have some free HOV access that any hybrid qualifies for (eg; Long Island Expressway). Also there are Green EZPass discounts, but see discussions on PriusChat as the rules are complex in the NYC/North Jersey areas due to different EZPass jurisdictions.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mark yes this thread is out-of-date because we PriusChat users are no longer allowed to EDIT old posts, which is how I used to update the Post #1. This older thread was trying to focus on the older PiP.

The current Prime incentives info thread is here:
    Prius Prime Preliminary State Tax Credit Discussion | PriusChat

Recently, a kindly moderator has offered to assist in creating and maintaining a new sticky thread for Prime.

10. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question: Is a used(bought from a dealer off lease return) PiP eligible for these incentives ? I am not sure if the previous owner has applied for the incentives or not. (The previous owner didnt apply for the Green HOV decals, also didnt apply for PG&E incentive, I got them both. But now how to check if the Government incentives were used or not? What would be the worst danger if I apply for my taxes with these benefits? worst case, IRS/CA FTB may deny the taxes OR I may end up in paying those incentives back? Any good idea?

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On the federal tax credit, it doesn't matter if the original purchaser applied for the credit or not. Only that person is eligible. "Additionally, the original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer and the vehicle must be used predominantly in the United States." from: Plug In Electric Vehicle Credit IRC 30 and IRC 30D | Internal Revenue Service

I don't know about individual states since my state doesn't have any income tax from which to ask for a credit.

12. SlidingBike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Many thanks Jerry, you are right.. first use by the tax payer condition is the killer here. I did some more research and confirming this.
    I also have learned that the first owner(Toy Dealer) didnt apply for that break(strange...)

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. SlidingBike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is the wealth of rebates that your vehicle MAY be eligible : Drive Clean

jerrymildred likes this.