1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Federal and State Incentives for Plug-Ins, EV's

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by wjtracy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Additional Information for Virginia
    (County Property Tax Relief)

As I mentioned in the OP, the state tax credits can be extremely complex as it gets down to local level. In Virginia, some individual counties give property tax relief for "clean special fuel vehicles". Unfortunately, my fair county does not offer clean car property tax relief, so I pay full property tax on a Prius. However, our neighbor Arlington County gives a nice tax relief for "clean special fuel vehicles" as defined by VA. In this case, it is PiP + Prius Hybrid and all clean cars get the tax relief. Wow its a substantial tax credit...could see this adding up to several thousand $$ over life of car.

http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/ManagementAndFinance/budget/file76410.pdf

2. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interestingly enough, I know one of the lawyers that drafted this tax code. He claims that the intent of the code was to include EVs and Plug-in Hybrids but to exclude a non-plug-in hybrid like the Prius Liftback, v, or c. This Alt fuels tax code was actually the revival of one from 1996 (IIRC) that did include non-plug-in hybrids. The way the code is written, though, technically does allow for any hybrid that has an EV mode like the 3rd gen Prius, c, and v. It sets no minimum speed or distance requirement on the EV mode. Local dealers are actually advertising the Prius, c, and v as part of this Alt Fuels tax credit. Knowing the lawyer and the intent, that is certainly in the gray area, but the PiP is in the clear. I actually have a coworker that made the claim on his non-plug-in Prius (3rd gen) for the 2011 tax year and pocketed a cool $5k. Of course, this doesn't mean he isn't an audit waiting to happen, but so far it is not being policed very well.

The WV Alt Fuels tax credit is a mess, IMO. It allows vehicles that are capable of running a blend of alt fuels of at least 85% to be included. One of the "alt fuels" is ethanol. So, that makes E85 applicable under this tax incentive. An E85 capable Toyota Tundra (with the big guzzling 5.7L V8, the only flex fuel offering from Toyota) falls under this tax law. The ironic part is that E85 is only available in something like 8 gas stations in the whole state. I've been tempted to swap my 4Runner for an E85-capable Tundra (which I ironically have to go to Kentucky to buy; they aren't technically sold in WV) because it would cost me zero out of pocket, the mileage cost would be minimal because I put all my miles on my Prius, and I'd have a truck for when I need/want one.

wjtracy likes this.
  3. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    WJTracy,

I happen to be a proud citizen of Arlington County :cool: , famous for the Pentagon, the Cemetery and the "Arlington Rap" of 2009. Its EV/hybrid tax relief varies from year to year. When I owned my 2007 Gen II Prius, the entire Virginia car tax was under County relief (I didn't have to pay any). This year, Arlington relieves the Virginia car tax by 40% for us EV/hybrid owners. Considering the significant chunk of change that Virginia takes for the car tax every year, I'm grateful for the 40%.

re: my OEM EVSE from our earlier posts - "OEM EVSE" means the blue-handled EVSE (charging cord) that comes with the PiP. A member of this and other EV forums, known by his e-moniker "pEEf", ugrades these OEM portable EVSEs to work a bit better. For details, pls google "EVSE Upgrade".

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...wonder why Arlington does clean car tax relief and not the rest of us (Fairfax etc) ? I have to write my rep he sends me enough emails I will send him one back. re: pEEf gotcha....all day I've thinking about making a new e-moniker out of my own college degree (not EE).

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am speechless. Fun day on the incentives sticky post project. Nice post.
    I heard on the grapevine a number of Prius owners moving to WVa. :)

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI I have a added a nice interactive map from Plug-in-America to the OP.
    It shows state-by-state incentives:

State & Federal Incentives | Plug In America

The added benefits of this sticky post on Prius Chat, are
    (1) specific info for PiP
    (2) based on PiP owner's input we have more details, for example, we list incentives for Virginia which shows up as "no incentives" on the Plug-in-America map

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I have added a list if the 14 PiP Roll-out states for 2012 to the OP.

Gee, I don't even own a PiP so I do not want to be overly pluggin' Plug-ins!
    But if you think this is good current $$ opportunity, you may need to go to one of 14 PiP roll-out states.
    These are (think I have them memorized now): CA, AZ, WA, OR (west coast)
    and we have VA, MD, NJ, NY, ME, MA, CT, RI, VT (east coast) almost forgot NH

There is some urgency as the Toyota sale is over Nov. 5 unless it is extended.
    For example in theory a West Virginia resident can get a PiP for <$20k after incentives, but would have to travel.
    Call ahead to confirm deal of course.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quentin- Do you still think trading in a car reduces your credit in WV?
    If so we may want to capture that.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ARIZONANS- It was pointed out to me discretely than I said had used the incorrect abbrev for AZ.

AZ is a PiP roll-out state, so AZ'ers you have to Nov. 5 to buy a discount PiP in AZ

10. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For Virginians with PiPs and other EV cars, here's what Virginia's dominant electric utility Dominion VA Power just sent me, about two weeks after they installed my dedicated EV meter. One item is the Utility's letter, the other item is a large refrigerator sticker with their VA Electric Vehicle tariff fridge magnet.jpg VA Electric Vehicle utilityspecial rate program.jpg EV rate / time graphic.

I am posting this here for anyone still considering getting onto this pilot program in Virginia. The program is supposed to close for new enrollees by 01 December (details on Dominion VA Power site Dominion). I expect at least the current enrollees to keep this dedicated EV rate whether the pilot program stays active or pancakes in the future. Dom VA Power people told me there is still space available for enrollees.

I frankly expect this to save $$$ for everyone in the future as EV cars get larger traction batteries, as hard-wired EVSE systems get more amperage to handle the increased battery size, and as households buy more than one EV per house.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I have clarified the OP re: PiP leasing - consumer who leases do NOT qualify for Federal Tax credit.
    If you don't believe this, here is prior thread where Toyota USA Team logged into Prius Chat to explain this:
    PIP Lease Terms - Will Toyota Give Us a Fair Deal? | PriusChat
    Some people (even car sales persons) think otherwise but the answer in NO WAY lease does not count.
    Some people think after the lease is over you might qualify, but NO WAY the IRS tax credit goes to first title owner only, not used cars, no way.

When you go to a PiP dealer to lease, it is important that both the sales person and the consumer understand clearly that the those who lease do NOT qualify for the Federal Tax Credit. You still may get a very good lease deal, because the tax credit goes instead to the leasing company/dealer who actually owns the vehicle you are leasing, but a consumer who leases cannot "double dip" and take a Federal tax credit.

We are stressing this due to several reported misunderstandings by both consumers and car dealers.

Having stressed this, please note the complexity: some of the state tax incentives do apply to both lease and purchase. So there is much room for confusion.

12. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You should change the IRS link to Qualified Vehicles Acquired after 12-31-2009. Also, clicking on Toyota sends you to the right page now, so you can remove that notice about the link being broken.
    Thanks!

wjtracy likes this.
  13. blmoore

blmoore Threadfinder

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PA has a $1000 rebate for the PiP but you have to apply within 6 months of purchasing it. Since PA is not a roll out state, I bought mine out of state. The dealer didn't know about it, and I didn't realize until after 6 months that I missed the rebate... :-( Hope this post helps someone else!!!

wjtracy likes this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch!! This is exactly the type of info we want to capture...thank you for sharing. I would have "liked" your post but under the circumstances, I don't like that 6-month rule. I will add this to the main post. Thank you.

15. blmoore

blmoore Threadfinder

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's the link to PAs rebate: Alternative Fuels Incentive Grant

(and yes - "ouch" is right!!)

16. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    West Virginia Alternative-Fuel Tax Credit:

35% of the net sale price, purchase minus trade if any , up to $7,500 per plug-in vehicle. Has to have a plug to qualify and you can have more than one. 7500/.35= $21,428 Anything over this gets you the max allowed.
    There are credits for charging equipment and add-on batteries also.

Net zero tax minimum income needed per year average
    1 year net taxable income of $132,700=$7,500 in tax
    2 year spread is $75,000=$3,750
    3 year spread is $55,400=$2,500
    4 year spread is $45,000=$1,875
    5 year spread is $38,320=$1500
    6 year spread is $32,800=$1,250
    Credit rolls over as long as the vehicle is registered in WV, schedule goes to 2021, and can be allocated between several WV tax paying owners. Think syndicate.
    Minus is if you deduct state tax on your Fed form as you don't owe any state tax now.

http://www.state.wv.us/taxrev/forms/2011/schedule-taxRates.pdf
    http://www.state.wv.us/taxrev/forms/2011/taxTable.pdf
    http://www.state.wv.us/taxrev/forms/2011/personalIncomeTaxFormsAndInstructions.pdf
    http://www.state.wv.us/taxrev/forms/2011/it140w.pdf
    http://www.state.wv.us/taxrev/forms/2011/aftc1.pdf

wjtracy likes this.
  17. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Where is the form to apply for Federal Tax Credit? I saw a link somewhere, but the form still says 2011. Is there one for 2012?

18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably after the turn of the year.

19. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that's the one he saw already. I went through this with the TDI and I'm pretty sure the Feds updated the form about halfway through January.