1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Feds blame hybrids for clogging HOV lanes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by WA98296, Aug 14, 2007.

1. WA98296

WA98296 Junior Member

The Federal Highway Administration feels that HOV lanes on Highway 99, Interstate 80, and Highway 50 are not moving as fast as it would like.

Federal authorities believe it might be a different story if California had not provided exemption stickers to hybrids. So they sent a letter to Caltrans ordering to "take action to promptly bring the (carpool lanes) back to the required operational performance level."

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=31533

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't matter lol. I do the speed limit on the HOV lanes and I get overtaken by SUVs... even though it's in Canada!

3. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    • Traffic Triggers Carpool Review
      by Gary Richards
      Mercury News

" While a recent study shows solo drivers in hybrids make up only 6 percent of vehicles in state carpool lanes and are not to blame for the added congestion, eliminating them from some spots is one of four solutions Caltrans will consider to reduce the number of cars in some of the most heavily used diamond lanes."
      (emphasis added)
    I think that same study revealed 15 percent of vehicles in carpool lanes are cheaters. Click on the article title to see the full text. I think the San Jose Mercury-News had a longer article, but their web site uses subscriptions and BugMeNot wasn't providing one to use quickly enough for me.
    --
    Robert

4. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is really simple. Single-driver hybrids shouldn't be in the HOV lanes. If you bought a Prius simply to avoid the traffic, then you are a moron.

5. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 14 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]495318[/snapback]</div>
    Personally I agree with that. It's easy to understand the rationale behind the initial granting of access to HOV lanes for hybrids, but I wouldn't use one if I was alone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 14 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]495318[/snapback]</div>
    But that kind of offensive and deliberately demeaning remark has no place here. Being contentious is one thing, but setting out to belittle others shouldn't be an accepted way to communicate.

6. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 14 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]495320[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for ruffling your feathers, but I am sick of the people who are buying hybrids simply to be able to drive in HOV lanes. They didn't buy a Prius to save on gas or help the environment, but rather to exploit a loophole in the law. If that is truly the only reason they bought a Prius, then I do think they are morons.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Should motocycles with single rider by allowed in HOV as well? Going by your logic, the answer is NO.

8. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Aug 14 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]495328[/snapback]</div>
    HOV = High Occupancy Vehicle

So, no, motorcycles should not be allowed in HOV lanes unless they have a rider and a passenger.

9. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 14 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]495322[/snapback]</div>
    What ruffles my feathers isn't so much the language, but the belligerence here. I understand the point you are making (and agree for the most part with the sentiment) but calling people names on the basis of an assumption made on their motives isn't helpful to dialog or the community climate as a whole. We each have our reasons, often a complex mix of reasons, for buying a Prius. It doesn't seem at all appropriate to be demeaning of those who's reasons don't match our own values. What about the guy who buys a Hummer and with a passenger can quite lawfully use the HOV lanes? Isn't that far worse than having a law that allows single-occupancy hybrids too?

10. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 14 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]495322[/snapback]</div>

I didn't buy a Prius to help the environment. I bought it so that I would be able to travel the carpool lanes here in Virginia. Examine this strategy for a moment...

Pre-Prius in my 16 mile to the gallon Nissan Pathfinder in the non-carpool lane, I would burn nearly three times the gas in my commute because my commute would often take over three times longer with the engine running three times as long by comparison. By using the carpool lane in my Prius, I further reduce my gas consumption by one third to one half of that just on increased mileage alone -- 49 or so versus 16. So by purchasing the Prius for convenience, I experience the consequence of reducing my commuting fuel consumption by a third of a third.

If I JUST pick up two slugs, I only use a third of the about of gas that three separate commuters would use. Therfore, by using my Prius in the carpool lane alone, I STILL use just a third of the fuel over picking up slugs would use and nearly one sixth of that I would have used commuting alone in the regular lanes.

Now, if that's not fuzzy math, I am a moron with a Mensa card. lol...

Howzabout you lighten the hell up with the ad hominem attacks, whydontcha? I suspect that people who buy Prii regardless of motivation tend to put more thought into buying a car than the average car buyer. But that's just a guess.

Dan

P.S. My new RV makes up for the difference. :) So it all works out evenly. lol

11. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 14 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]495331[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry Miss Manners, but this is an Internet chat room and not a knitting circle. We've all seen people called a whole heck of a lot worse than morons.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan-Wolfe @ Aug 14 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]495333[/snapback]</div>
    Congratulations on Mensa! Just what has that self-serving group of "intellectuals" ever done to better the world?

You can justify your behavior in whatever manner you wish, but I find it rather foolish to buy a Prius with the sole intent of using the HOV lanes. Hybrids like the Toyota Prius save energy by cutting off the engine while idling and using the electric motor to accelerate. Thus the Prius saves the most gasoline and reduces pollution the most when it is stuck in traffic. When it travels at highway speeds its overall efficiency declines and emissions go up. So, there is no benefit in allowing hybrids in the HOV lanes.

I am glad to see that the Feds are finally getting wise and are looking at ending this failure of an experiment.

12. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 14 2007, 05:57 AM) [snapback]495318[/snapback]</div>
    I bought a Prius simply to avoid the traffic and to save a few bucks at the pump. If you can't handle that, then Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform.

I carpool with my wife, so when I drop her off, I am in the carpool lane by myself when I go to pick her up in the afternoon. I have said many times on this site, that I did not buy my Prius to save the whales. By driving one though, I have reduced my footprint on the planet, and that might help the environment.

The very week that Ahnold Schwartzenegle signed the HOV sticker law, I bought the car. I live in Southern California and I drive almost 3K miles per month on these freeways.

Time is money, so I am having more time in the afternoons when I am home from work.

Go ahead and start bashing people out here for not thinking like you do. There are no laws against acting stupid.

13. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Aug 14 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]495339[/snapback]</div>
    So, are you going to sell your Prius once you get booted from the HOV lane?

14. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 14 2007, 08:28 AM) [snapback]495330[/snapback]</div>
    As a motorcycle rider I agree, BUT, I also believe that motorcycles and scooters should be allowed to split lanes in all states just like they do in California and the rest of the developed and undeveloped world. There is no reason for me to sit in stopped, grid-locked traffic with the cagers when I could easily ride between the cars to my exit and be on my way.

15. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 14 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]495336[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, so name calling is a nice and grown up thing to do when anyone disagrees with you. OK then. It won't be long before you're chatting entirely to yourself. Given the crap I see posted here, I doubt Prius Chat has much to offer in the way of reasoned discourse if your contribution is much to go by.

Sad really, but there are other places to glean useful information. Meantime, good luck with the attitude.

16. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ooops, duplicate post.

17. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Aug 14 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]495357[/snapback]</div>
    Lighten up, Francis.

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron

I am entitled to my opinion, just as you are entitled to yours. For the reasons I outlined in previous posts, I think anyone who purchases a Prius just to gain access to the HOV lanes is foolish.

18. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, there is another alternative to ease HOV lane crowding - better enforcement on the cheaters. Just yesterday (in my non-HOV stickered Prius (I got it after the supply of 85,000 stickers ran out)), I was passed by 4 cars in the space of 10 miles that were driving in the HOV lane with only 1 occupant. Bump up the fine and enforce the law and I will bet the problem will go away.

19. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 14 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]495363[/snapback]</div>
    If you actually consider writing that someone is a moron is a productive use of your time you might want to consider a different hobby. If you didn't join the forum to exchange useful information then all you are doing is wasting your own time and the time of those who have to cull through that type of detritus. I completely respect your right to your opinion. In fact, I'll look forward to reading anyone's point of view as long as it is a solid argument. The request to express it in a way that conveys information is completely reasonable and should be respected.

20. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tballx @ Aug 14 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]495371[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps Swanny is bored????