1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Feedback of Ecopia EP422 plus?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Manny210, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I suspect they're a notch down from EP20, not really sure. In our 215/45R17 the EP422 plus are the only all-season Ecopia option, EP20 only come in 195/65R15. Also, there's the "quality control" factor: there's two versions of the EP422 plus floating around, one with 3 grooves, one with 4.

All I know, with the EP20, I put them on in place of worn Bridgestone Insignia SE200_02, the stock made-in-japan tires that came on our Civic Hybrid (noted as being good LRR), and mpg never skipped a beat. Those Insignia's are acknowledge be excellent for RR, Honda spec'd them for that reason.

So, it can happen.

2. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Upping the tire pressure a bit will help but not that much. Temperature drops always hurt mpgs. Have you had more wind than normal? I find that cross winds tend to hurt my mpgs by 3 to 4 mpg.

3. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    @ kevinxd

I've never run my Prius with less that 38 psi. Usually keep 39-40 front and 37-38 rear. Kept OEM Yokohama Avid Ascends 52K+ miles. Tires as low as 31-33 psi will definitely yield significantly lower MPG. I switched to 17 inch wheels last year and stuck a set of 205/50 17 Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires on them. MPG went from 54-55 to 52-53.

Push some air into those tires... but make sure that MAX Pressure marked on the tire sidewall is never exceeded with a "cold" tire.

#123 B. Roberts, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  4. JamesKFChiu

JamesKFChiu Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Kevin, I'm also in SoCal, try to up your tire pressure to F40 R38 and if you don't like it, drop the tire pressure by 1 to 2 PSI each time until you find the combination works best for you (of course don't go lower than OEM suggested value)
    Oh, and I am sure you know we are talking about cold tire pressure. I got constant 52~53 with the tire pressure set to 40/38.
    Just my 2 cents :)

5. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The dealer set mine to factory specs hot in the shop and cold they were below the minimum requirements. Unsafe.

IMHO never let your tires get below 38 PSI cold/43 hot.
    Hot is inside tire temperature after driving several miles.

6. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I keep mine at 35PSI cold for comfort. Anything higher is uncomfortable.

7. Markee

Markee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I could use a little advice here ?

I have a 2013 Prius with about 23k miles on it that came with the EP20s
    I just had a small fender bender accident and insurance had to replace one of my front tires
    Got the vehicle back today insurance gave me a new EP20

So the 2 back tires are at just about 4/32" wear and the one other front is at like 5/32

I'm thinking best to replace them all at this point ?

Anyone recommend the cheapest place to grab them ?
    Also I'm reading theres different tread wear versions Can anyone tell me how I can tell which version that the new tire i got is so i can try and match it ?

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this thread is about EP422 and not EP20. different tires.

9. Lorentholcke

Lorentholcke New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bought a pair of the 422 plus from costco like other posters and thought I would share my opinion of them. I love them. When we purchased the car, it came with 15" yokohama avids and replaced them just over a month ago. Reading other reviews, I was worried about a drop in fuel mileage but saw an increase. Calculated fuel mileage has gone from 49mpg to 52mpg with my wifes driving. My driving from 51mpg to 55mpg. This is within the first 2000 miles on them so happy to see an increase in MPG. I was hesitant to buy these due to reviews of people losing fuel mileage but I took the risk and am happy with the return. I run front at 41psi and rear at 39psi and it feels pretty similar to the avids as far as ride and handling goes. I would say the road noise is a little less at low speeds with the 422's but about the same on freeway speeds. I live in southern California so I cannot comment on how they perform when cold or in adverse conditions. I was contemplating getting the Michelin energy saver a/s but they have been discontinued, are more expensive, and have a lower mileage warranty so I thought I would give bridgestone a chance and couldn't be happier. When the tires on my mazda3 need replacing, I will certainly be purchasing these again. Hope this helps others.

10. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    They are being used as original tires on a number of cars like the Volt and Bolt EV and probably others. I doubt very much that they will be discontinued anytime soon. They are sometimes in short supply at independent tire shops.

11. shri_chanakya

shri_chanakya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got these on my 2011 Prius III. It was pretty sweet deal 328 out of the door at costco. I do see a hit in mileage I was getting around 56 to 58 on the worn out Yoko S33 (lasted only 38.5K miles). If you are executive member watch out for 60$ rebate on top of 70$ rebate.

422+ are still new only 70 miles so far. Costco also put tire pressure as per toyota (35/33). I was running my Yoko at (41/39). Did argue with the installation guy but he won't budge and given me good gyan on why recommended pressure is best.

Going today to get lug nuts checked (routine after 25 miles), might get it upped if some other guy is there.

Will post more details once I have broken in to them (approx after 1000 miles).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it's a really good deal. I didn't know about this additional discount. I helped to my son fine a good deal on discount tires direct same model. First a few days tires were noisy, but then they are really quiet on his car. He likes milage as well.

13. shri_chanakya

shri_chanakya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I upped the pressure to 42/40.... Mileage is a bit less but close to where it was easier... hopefully they will last longer than oem which went only 37.5k

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. grodnyc

grodnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see three types of Ecopia EP422 plus in tirerack....one made in US, one is MX, and one in JP. Which one is the one that is recommended?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Last time I looked there was only two iterations, lol. This is turning me off on the tire, have pretty much thrown in the towel on the EP422. The differences between US and MX are not trivial, for starters: they have distinctly different tread patterns in 195/65R15, different number/spacing of tread rows.

My pure guess would be the JP would be best.

16. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For those of you wondering about the version on tire rack that is made in Japan. Here is the tread on those

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  18. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    yes, stock sized tire for a 2014.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be getting them installed at Costco tomorrow morning! I wonder if MPG will improve. My Continental PureContacts are great tires but MPG dropped quite a bit. I'm hoping the Ecopias handle similarly as the Continentals.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like a Christmas present to me, lol.

pidginbil and WolfpackBill like this.