1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Feedback Requested:Battery Health Test

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SageBrush, Oct 4, 2015.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I followed the recommended protocol by members here as well as one of the Berkeley garages to test traction battery health by observing block voltages under load. The load was done by putting the car in reverse and holding the fuel pedal to the floor while holding the brake at the same time.

Three runs obtained, although all the data ended up in one spreadsheet.

Car: 2004 Prius
    173k miles
    Mixed Driving, No garage. New Mexico

Protocol:
    Car started, then I waited until the ICE started and then stopped.
    Test #1 ran
    ICE started and then stopped
    Test#2 ran
    ICE started and then stopped
    Test #3 ran
    I left the car in reverse the entire time, but took my foot off the fuel pedal during the battery recharge. Emergency brake left engaged the entire time.

The data looks great -- perhaps too good ?
    In particular I don't understand why each test took about 10 minutes. Other data I have seen shows the test running for ~ 4 minutes with a healthy battery which suggests I ran a low load test. Opinions ?

Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 11.51.23 AM.jpg

#1 SageBrush, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Aaron Vitolins and bisco like this.
  2. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you crank the AC as well? This adds additional load.

Your plot of max min is interesting. I would not expect the outer blocks to have much red in them. This might be an artifact of excel. Instead of layering colored dots on top of each other you should calculate the % time a block holds the Vmin designation. Only do this for load portions of your data.

Also, delta V is the end of life indicator. You need to plot this.