1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Feel like a target when using adaptive cruise control

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by wgary, May 27, 2017.

1. wgary

wgary Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all -- I have a 2017 Prius IV, and I wanted to get others' perspectives on an issue. When I am using the adaptive cruise control on a busy highway, it leaves a "safe" interval with the car ahead, which is a great idea.

However, when I am in the left/passing lane on a 2-line interstate, many aggressive drivers seem to think that I am not going fast enough and that they should zoom around me to fill in that space. Of course, after passing me they have really accomplished nothing, because they are still going the same speed as the car in front of me. My car then has to slow down a bit to reestablish the interval. Plus this is making me feel like a sitting duck.

I have found speeding up to fill the gap when someone tries to do a right-lane pass isn't a great solution. Although it does give me some satisfaction. :) I have tried decreasing the sensitivity to decrease the interval, but it still leaves enough space that some drivers still feel the need to do this. Any thoughts or advice?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I read a report recently that in places with lots of testing of autonomous vehicles, other drivers have learned to spot them and drive like extra jerks around them, expecting the AVs to safely accommodate....

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Feel similarly. The problem also is that when you move into the passing lane, it takes a few seconds for the automatic acceleration to happen, only encouraging drivers to pass you on the right because the gap doesn't close quickly. So I usually cancel the cruise control as I merge left, manually accelerate back to the cruise control speed, or sometimes to fully pass, and then I turn it back on. Also, the more traffic there is on the road the more likely I choose the shorter distance setting. But I also find I can't use the adaptive cruise control is there is a lot of traffic because it can be a bit jarring when someone merges in front of you.

Oh, after fully reading your post again, I see you are talking about left lane driving on a 2-lane highway. In those instances, I'll turn cruise control off if the road is so crowded I find myself mostly in the left name. I find CC effective only if I can stay in the right lane at the speed I want, and then to pass I use the process above.

#4 sclevine, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    BruceInOKC and RCO like this.
  5. bbunge

bbunge Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The law in most states is still drive right pass left... but of course that is a suggestion the same as the speed limit, yield and stop signs...

P01M ?

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Learn to live with it.
    IF you actually keep a safe following distance, the same thing will happen if the cruise is ON or OFF.

fotomoto, GlennCocoBad, Tyfly and 2 others like this.
  7. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I think post # 6 is accurate....if I understand the OP's question.

Auto cruise controlled distance would be the same as driver controlled distance...if keeping a safe distance.

Other drivers would merge in front of the OP under both cases.

Best advise may be post # 2...for the OP to stay right.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Only problem (with living in the right lane): sometimes you need to get in the left lane, say for an upcoming left turn. You have to take advantage when you can, then reside in left lane for a bit.

More than once when changing lanes leftward, into a decent gap, with a good amount of signal (first mistake...) I'll have the guy (or gal) at the back of that gap surge forward, then stand on the brake at last moment and lean on the horn.

They have the mindset of an offended sea lion in heat...

Or maybe one of those pro soccer whingers...

jerrymildred and RCO like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The responsiveness of the adaptive cruise control depends on the drive mode. I find it too sluggish when I am in Eco mode. It gets more responsive in normal or PWR mode.

esfishdoc likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I try to emulate an AV and yeah, I can see that.

11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As Prodigyplace said, PWR mode will make it respond a bit quicker, and the 1/2/3 bar distance, I tend to keep it in "1" for most tighter traffic. When on more open roads, I increase the distance.

While in Adaptive Cruise control (DRCC), you can still exercise your accelerator foot momentarily if you need to close a gap, and it will just resume automatically.

DonDNH and RCO like this.
  12. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The adaptive cruise control is a good tool, but I'd use it sparingly. In city traffic, only use it in the right lane. Behind a semi-truck throwing rocks in the right lane, set the distance to "long." In medium traffic, set the distance to "medium." In heavy traffic, either set the distance to "short," switch to normal cruise control, or turn it off. You can always cancel the cruise control at any time. Your brain is still the best tool. Use adaptive cruise control when your brain is tired (slow to react) or impatient (prone to tailgating).

#12 BruceInOKC, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps you've forgotten that the whole purpose of Eco mode is to drive economically, i.e. gentle right foot.

Mendel Leisk and kithmo like this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cruise is too gentle in Eco mode adding to Prius rage.

kithmo likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In Florida, I think almost all "Q-Tips" (white fuzzy things showing above the head rest) assume it's a capitol offense to drive in the right lane or to drive in the left lane any faster than 10 under the limit. And lots of others are emulating them. Other than adjusting to driving on the other side of the road, our two weeks in England were WONDERFUL. Drivers in Yorkshire, at least, are almost civilized.

kithmo, Harters and RCO like this.
  16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the 2017 is different, but if I push the accelerator in Eco, I move. Floor it and I'm up to speed in no time at all. Easy to cruise in Eco without dawdling. (y)

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was referring to the DRCC acceleration. The non-radar cruise accelerates fast regardless of drive mode. The mode does not affect the maximum acceleration when you press the pedal. Just how far you need to press it.

RCO likes this.
  18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But surely, if you want the extra oomph in DRCC you need to be in Normal or Power. I say again, Eco is for fuel economy, not acceleration.

19. 90miler

90miler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a widespread myth that I would like to help debunk. Actually, most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code, which requires drivers to keep right only if they are going slower than the "normal speed of traffic" (see: State "keep right" laws ). Normal speed of traffic can actually be higher or lower than the speed limit, which is another discussion all by itself. This being said, I don't like to see anyone being a jerk and blocking people who are trying to pass. You never know what their reasons may be. I like Florida's law. Basically, it says that if you are in the left lane and a faster vehicle approaches you from behind, you should move over to the right and let them pass. Not that even 1% of Florida drivers seem to obey it, mind you, but I like the idea....

RCO likes this.
  20. wgary

wgary Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks to all for the input. The typical scenario I am referring to is interstate driving, where the right-hand lane is running behind speed limit due to RVs, trucks, etc. Left-hand lane is running 5+ MPH faster, and I am just following traffic with Adaptive Cruise. If there is a short break in the right lane, some NASCAR wannabes feel compelled to do the right-side pass and squeeze in just in the nick of time, after which they are going the same speed as I am. But they have the satisfaction of having moved up 1 place in the NASCAR "standings" (????). Meanwhile, it makes me feel really unsafe.

Based on the above sage advice, I will consider:
    1. Not using the Adaptive Cruise so I can follow more closely manually... which is actually unsafe.
    2. Continuing to keep a safe interval using the Adaptive Cruise and just live with the stupidity of others... which also feels unsafe.
    3. Staying in the right lane and getting there a little later... which can get frustrating.
    Actually, I have experienced options 1 & 2 for years before Adaptive Cruise, but I think using it just makes the issue more obvious.