1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Feel like a target when using adaptive cruise control

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by wgary, May 27, 2017.

1. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Over in UK where we drive on the left of the road, the rule is whatever your driving speed, keep to the left except when overtaking other traffic.

I believe you will be putting yourself at greater risk of collision if you opt for idea #1!

2. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the tips on using normal or power mode with the cruise control to make the acceleration less sluggish! Will try it out - I generally keep it on ECO.

RCO likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Please remember that even when in Eco DRCC, you can press the gas pedal to increase your rate of acceleration (to the point of pedal to the metal - which gives you full power regardless of the preset mode) and just ease off as you near your set speed. (y)

tucatz and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Tyfly

Tyfly Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it's the "human" mentality we are dealing with here. Other drivers don't have a system to keep a safe distance. This causes them to follow more closely to other drivers, since they have never been shown what a real safe distance looks like.

This causes them to become stressed and irritated when another driver ahead isn't driving as closely as they would be. They do not understand that even at a closer distance, the time saved by tailgating is negligible.

tucatz and RCO like this.
  5. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wgary, I understand your frustration. Slower traffic should keep right, but they don't. People should leave safe following distances, but they don't. People shouldn't tailgate other drivers, but they do. People shouldn't cut between you and the car in front of you, but they do. Worse yet, after cutting in front of you, they hit their brakes to make more space. Really? Take a deep breath and calm down.

Keep to the right lane. A good rule of thumb is 3/4 of the time it's better to show more patience with slower drivers, 1/4 of the time you should pass them. Don't pass unless they're driving under the speed limit or you're getting tailgated badly. Better yet, don't pass until they're 10 mph under the speed limit. Don't regret losing your temper. Yes, I know it's a cliche, but don't allow other drivers to control your behavior. Control your own behavior. Leave early, so you're not in a hurry. Getting there safely beats getting there first.

6. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Every time I return from the mountains it's a culture shock. I feel the freeways in Oakland are a battleground. If you leave 50 feet in front and not actively accelerating they will cut you. You can activate DRCC, set to single bar, and push down on the accelerator. Good luck!

7. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    People who have to fight traffic in major cities have my deepest sympathy. OKC has bad drivers, but we're far from the worst.

RCO likes this.
  8. smalltimeart

smalltimeart New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm a service tech in the Orlando area and cover the entire state of Florida. I LOVE the DRCC. It was worth every penny. However, I experience the exact same issue. I've found it's best to just stay in the right when you can, and if anyone gets super road rage at you, smile and wave. It often confuses them long enough to miss their opportunity to pass or flip you off. Ignoring them also works incredibly well.

BruceInOKC, RCO and tucatz like this.
  9. wgary

wgary Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kindness as a weapon. I love it!

10. wgary

wgary Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So having started this thread, here's my update: I am just learning to live with the issue. I stay right unless the speed goes below my threshold of toleration. Then I merge left for as short a time as possible and tolerate any craziness until I can get back to right lane. (Although I intend to implement smalltimeart's advice on joviality.) My travel time may be slightly higher, but my stress level is lower and doesn't hurt gas mileage either!!

smalltimeart, jerrymildred and Tyfly like this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds good as long as you don't drive too slowly that you annoy others behind you.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I limit the number of people that I give the power to influence how I drive.....or whether or not that I'm in a good mood, and I LIKE being in a good mood.
    I don't have an adaptive cruise control....but a few years ago my beloved company DID put a GPS/Cellular data logger into my car, therefore I'm compelled to drive within a few ticks of the PSL, or somebody a lot higher than me (or my boss) in the food chain will get an automated nasty-gram about the little white Prius that's speeding and give all of the lurid details.

One would think that since I CANNOT drive faster than PSL that I would get hateful gestures, tailgaters, and calls to the1-800-HoZmydriving number that......somehow.....isn't on my car.

FORTUNATELY.....
    I live where traffic is relatively light and I can still hand-fly the car, which is more fuel efficient anyway..... ;)
    I'll usually wind up a safe distance behind a truck that's also being tracked by a data-logger, in the right hand lane, and going about the posted speed limit.
    If some low octane driver wants to get between me and the truck, I've discovered a secret hack that's guaranteed to work every time it's tried!!!!!!

I just let them!!.......and then I re-establish my safe following distance.

I arrive at my destination frustration-free, and I actually get pretty good mileage while doing so.
    I'm thinking that the DRCC might even facilitate this policy, but since I've never used one I cannot say for sure.....

Advice: Do this....

jerrymildred, Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Amen! I've gotta bookmark this:

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. Tyfly

Tyfly Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's exactly how I drive. The few extra minutes it takes to reach my destination, is worth the reduced stress and higher MPG.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.