1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Feeling Conflicted with my 2020 Limited....

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mister2cool, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Biodiesel blends are a heating oil option here. If the tank is outside, B20 is probably the limit on what you can use. Might even be B15 for your location.

But then they dumb it down, and leave out the details for the report. X amount of problems per 100 cars doesn't tell you much when the X can be the engine head gasket, loose trim, or just a non-user friendly infotainment system.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I have looked into that option in my area in the past. But at that time no fuel dealer close enough to deliver it for our location. I even thought about DIY home brew type of biodiesel from our kitchen... But a year supply of used cooking oil from our kitchen would be enough to heat our house for maybe a few hours. Not worth my time. :(

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You could probably just add that used oil directly to the tank, after filtering it. Might need to be premixed with heating oil, or thinned with kerosene. Add some to a jar of heating oil, and see what happens.

I have been wondering if it would be safe to add a tiny bit of biodiesel to gasoline as a fuel injector cleaner.

4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They show the relative problem areas too.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. mister2cool

mister2cool Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, my commute is 13 miles each way, 18 miles if I make kid stop.... charge at work and at home.. so far 4300 miles and I have 180MPG so I have been doing mostly EV driving as well.

Don't get me wrong, the Prime does fulfill the role perfectly and that was the initial thinking getting the Prime, that the 25 range would be able to handle most of the driving I do with this car, and we have two other gas powered AWD Infiniti's for her commute, longer trips and snowy weathers, although I think my wife is getting tired of her twice a week gas stop... Yes I have an Infiniti M37x sitting there waiting for snow...

What got me thinking about switching is the 25 mile EV range causing me unnecessary range anxieties. It's like I am constantly checking on battery status even though I know I'd get to work or home with plenty to spare. Then on the trips a little longer, I found myself fiddling with the HV\Charge and trying to time it perfectly to use up all the charge when I get home.. I know it's all stress I brought onto myself, not the car's fault at all. But you kinda can't help yourself in a car like the Prime. I guess I would have been happier if they took away all those options and just told me to drive.

In any case, after some more consideration, I think it is more prudent to push this at least a little bit further down the year, if not longer. Basically the incentives that makes the switch financially attractive are in effect the rest of year, prob next year too, so there is no really rush I need to do this now. I am going to hold off for now and see how things go and re-evaluate closer to the end of the year. Maybe I just need some time to adapt to the way to drive a Prime, as it is a different car from the others.

I want to thank everyone for your opinions in helping me sort through the situation.

mr88cet, hans1 and GKL like this.
  6. hans1

hans1 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    XLE
    Good plan. And at your usage, you'll only build up a few thousand miles a year on the ICE, so even in 10 years, you'd only have a few 10,000's of ICE use. Barely broken in. And with 10 year 150k mile warranty on the Traction Battery, little to worry about (and if unlikely issue comes up, refurb/replacement battery should be much more affordable than a larger full EV battery?] :)

GKL likes this.