1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Feeling kind of dumb-

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by blueumbrella, Feb 26, 2010.

1. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me prep the post by saying that I am probably the only person who has ever done this.

I got in to my Prius, late for an appointment, pushed the power button and nothing happened (small group of yellow lights light up). I check the doors, check that I am pushing on the brake and try again. Nothing but the yellow lights. Battery is good, horn works, inside lights fine. Try it again and again. Nothing. Get the manual out of the glove box and reluctantly head back inside to read it. I am going thru the manual and sudden it hits me, I did not have the key in my pocket when went to the garage. I missed my appointment but learned a valuable lesson.

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is difficult to drive a car that does not forget and runs by a very set list of rules!

1 person likes this.
  3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do it routinely at home, grab a different coat or something. I'll go days without touching my keys, but may drive my car multiple times.

The best clue..there's a little "key" symbol that pops up and a quiet, polite... "Hey idiot, get the freaking key" beep!

1 person likes this.
  4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lock the car every time you leave it. Then the next time you forget the keys it will become obvious sooner.

1 person likes this.
  5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    blueumbrella, you aren't the first & won't be the last. At least you didn't call the dealer.

1 person likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't done anything that dumb!

Unless you count hitting the inside electric lock button while stepping out, closing the door, then remembering that I'm driving the other car today. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let me add that I've done it also.

There's a good chance that if you can find a way to humiliate yourself, there's a decent sized crowd here who have beaten you to it. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've left my key IN the car, gotten out, then yelled at it for not locking when I told it to. I did this at work in front of co-workers. Took me a while to figure out why my "stupid" car wouldn't lock. :redface:

I'm glad it's smart enough to not let me lock myself out, no matter how determined I am to do it.

1 person likes this.
  9. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to a local sports equipment dealer and bought a small knife scabbard that just fits the key-fob. Then I put it on my belt and forget about it for the rest of the day. It's been a wonderful discovery not to have to fumble for the key-fob anymore and if I need it... I know where it is at all times.:D

1 person likes this.
  10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've done demos of this to show the Smart Key System and just how "Tony proof" the car is. Just to be safe, though, I roll down the window first. With my luck, the fob battery would die just as I'm locking and shutting the door. :eek: