1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

feeling 'sluggish' like car is working harder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eatdrumss, Dec 7, 2015.

1. eatdrumss

eatdrumss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my car in a garage for 5 days and it started up and drove fine. I went to the store got back in my car and now if feels like the car is working harder to move and the initial electric motion feels impeded.

Tires at 29-33psi
    Oil was at low line. Filled it up....test drove and it feels the same sluggishness

The gas engine even sounds like it is working harder to move.

My car has over 200,000 miles.
    I live in Cleveland, ohio
    I think I need a new cat converter....but I have been trying to find one...

#1 eatdrumss, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2015
  2. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Are any dash lights on? How long has this behavior been exhibiting itself? Does it continue all the way through extended drives (10+miles)? Any unusual noises? Is your parking brake engaged?

There are a ton of things it could be, but unless there are any lights on (and without further information to go on), my guess is it's in your head (cold weather makes the Prius "work harder").

eatdrumss likes this.
  3. zak.kapoor

zak.kapoor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When was the last time the spark plugs were changed?

My Prius had same sluggish feeling at around 100K but it was only the gas engine and was a gradual change. Changing the spark plugs and switching to synthetic high mileage oil made the difference. I also changed the PCV valve for good measure.

eatdrumss likes this.
  4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At 29-33psi my tires would feel like they were rolling through goo. Increase the air pressure to reduce the rolling resistance and improve the traction.

eatdrumss and The Electric Me like this.
  5. eatdrumss

eatdrumss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll try bumping up the tire pressure..
    My check engine light has been on for months bc of the cat converter..

I've had the car 3 years (2006) I haven't done the spark plugs.

I Will have to find the pcv and clean it.

Tested parking brake and it was holding the car back more engaged.

No other noises just engine working harder.

I topped of the oil with a full syn.

Been having the problem for 4 days drove 15 miles on it right after I noticed issue.

6. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ah, so you do have codes. A failing/blocked cat can decrease power. Assuming you have no other codes, it's probably just time to get that cat replaced for real.

eatdrumss likes this.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Your first post said it was in the garage for days, do a trickle charge of the 12v and then try the car again, it may have been empty or close... unintentionally, check your emergency brake, cycle it a few times, unplug the 12v for 5 minutes.( after its full)

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car may have more serious issues. Sounds like the car has pulled timing and is running in "safe mode". Lots of posts about doggy running cars here that turn out to be pulled timing. Alot report suspicious engine noises most report alot of top end engine noise which turns out to be main bearing failure.
    Get under the car while its running and listen for lower end banging noises.

9. eatdrumss

eatdrumss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel like it is the cat...the cat code is what made the check engine light come on....but the car was driving okay for so long and it struck me as odd that it felt funny after I had made one stop and came back to the car an hour later...I feel like it can't be good to drive the car like this.
    Should I get it towed to the mechanic?
    Btw I just bumped the tire pressure to 40 psi...but I'm still getting the engine noise when the ICE has to work going from 25 to 50 mph ... maybe im just feeling it more with the cold weather.???

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Before you waste anymore time with this one, go get it checked out. We can speculate all day, but until you get the codes "all of them" and have it checked out completely it's just posturing and guessing. If the CAT and /or related O2 sensor/s are the issue for sure, see if your state allows the installation of non-OEM smog parts. With an "07 model I would be willing to bet aftermarket installed correctly will last longer than you keep the car...and the assembly comes in one piece (minus the sensor/s) for as low as $250. Google is your friend here.

eatdrumss likes this.
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I seem to remember one post where the cat was clogged and killing the engine. But the "timing pull" posts way outnumber that post.

I hypothesize about deeper issues based on the mileage especially if the engine is not critically maintained and oil level not continuously monitored and you mentioning low engine oil level. Run a G2 low on oil and damage will ensue.Very easy thing to do as many G2's eat oil especially at that mileage.

How many times have you found the oil at the low level line or have you ever found it to be lower than the line? If lower than the line I highly suspect you have lower end damage to the motor.

Like Frodoz said have the codes pulled again. There's probably a misfire code hiding in there. Usually multiple misfires. A P30XX. This car like alot of other cars confusing detonations with misfire. All it see's is mistiming between ignition fire pulse and crankshaft revolutions. The lower end vibration and knocking disturbs this pulse count.

This is not a hybrid code so any auto parts store can pull these codes. Make sure you capture all codes verbatim and post them back here.

Don't put any money in it till you figure out if the engine is toast. But.....if you ran the car real low on oil don't bother.

eatdrumss likes this.
  12. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Not saying I think you're lying, but I can't find anything through the search tool related to such issues. Got any links to those threads? I always like to read up on issues that are new to me.
    Speaking as someone who doesn't know a whole lot about cars and comes to these types of forums to learn and get help when problems arise, you might be scaring the crap out of someone for no reason. The car has cat codes already, which CAN explain the issues here. Main bearing failures, lower end knocking, misfires... they could all be possible, but sheesh. You're gonna give someone a heart attack! ;)
    This is really the way to go. Pull the codes again. If it's still showing only the cat, then you've finally got a big enough problem with it that it should be fixed. If other codes have popped up in the mean time, depending on what they are, it might point to other failures. We can't know without a new code pull.

eatdrumss likes this.
  13. eatdrumss

eatdrumss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What should I look for in a new Cat?

Are there more efficient ones that can offer more power/economy?

I looked on eBay and some have one chamber and others have 2, what does all this mean?

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Again...verify the problem first, but if the CAT and/or O2 sensor/s are the problem, buy stock aftermarket for your state. Even Ohio says you have to put the same "type" on. Only California and New York have different emissions standards/equipment installed. Below is just one supplier to consider. While craigslist and ebay have their place, I would be more focused on fixing and not taking a chance buying stolen or bad parts at this time...but that's me.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You already know the cat is an issue, replace that first. This is the cat you need, on Amazon for about $100

Magnaflow 99205HM Universal Catalytic Converter

16. eatdrumss

eatdrumss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That. Was a weird link JC....can you link me to that specific magnaflow?

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just note that unless you can drag stick or run wire, the assembly is usually cheaper and easier for the car owner to install because, as in this case, the cost to cut/weld in a new CAT element will exceed the bolt on assembly price. Best wishes.

Jeremy M likes this.