1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fender Bender, check hybrid message

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gmacfan01, Feb 24, 2016.

1. gmacfan01

gmacfan01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So i was collision about 10 days ago, the collision was in the front end. insurance company came out put together an estimate which stated it was safe to drive. So i picked up the vehicle yesterday to wait for the shop to get the money from insurance company to be repaired and while running around today the car stopped working. I tried restarting vehicle several times and just cant get the ready signal to come back on. Needless to say i had to get it towed, i hope it is related to the collision because it doesnt sound like its an easy fix.

Check hybrid system stop the vehicle in a safe place immediately.

Any ideas why this is happening?

also i dont believe the bumper was ever removed during the inspection for the original estimate , could this be from something under there?

and right now they have it as a seperate claim which is terrible for me ....two claims in 10 days ..no bueno

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say without more description/pics, but it's likely a wire(s) or plug was pulled loose and finally disconnected altogether.

3. gmacfan01

gmacfan01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    looking at the vehicle you wouldnt even know i was in an accident but the repair estimate is just under 1600 before this prob, so even if i did have pics nothing to see. What should i take a picture of in the morning that could help....and i am not super car savy but not extremely dumb either.

4. davidc83

davidc83 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Check your manual. Mine States if in collision the hybrid system may disable itself.

XT830C ?

InPriusLove likes this.
  5. gmacfan01

gmacfan01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thats what i read as well, the shop said they found the problem.....loose connection to something im about to head down there and check it out

but they are saying that there is no way that they car prove its from the accident.

6. InPriusLove

InPriusLove Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The dealership could declare it is related to the accident, based on what took place. Common sense is also and sometimes you have to argue about why it is related to the accident, or otherwise the handling of the car about the accident. It is good that it is minor.

You could have a dealer check it. Insurance companies do not build hybrids.

7. gmacfan01

gmacfan01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So it was some wire under the driver seat that was corroded i guess which is what made the hybrid system shut down. Id say the accident may have made it happen sooner but i guess was gunna happen regardless.

8. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    "some wire under the driver seat"??? Seat belt detector / occupancy detector / seat warmer / side air bags what else could there be under the driver seat? No hybrid system wires from what I know.

Didn't they specifically say what was disconnected :(

9. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Well since the battery is under the rear seat one supposes that the high voltage cable goes that way. That would certainly be consistent with the "check hybrid system" message. He didn't say anything about the connector being under the driver's seat, just the wire...

10. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    Nope.. the high voltage cable goes under the body and its on the passenger side. If you look under the car you will see the orange plastic cover that protects the cable.

BTW all orange color cables are high voltage cables (obviously not the thin gauge cables like 22AWG), that is for the emergency respondents to identify the high voltage cable during a crash recovery and not to cut through them.

11. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I just checked my car and you are mistaken - the orange high voltage cable does indeed travel on the left side of the car. Perhaps you're thinking of the full sized Prius rather than the Prius C that we're discussing in this thread, or perhaps you live in a right-hand drive country...?

Or perhaps gmacfan01, the Original Poster, lives in a right-hand drive country and it is I who's in error...?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or, like me, when you crawl under the car, and are looking at everything upside down, dyslexia kicks in, lol.

13. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    Yes, I have a right hand drive and the HV cable goes on the passenger side (left) under the car, the inverter/motor assembly is also on the left side. So if you have a left hand drive things should be other way around.. right?

14. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    :rolleyes: :whistle:

15. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The difference between left and right hand drive cars is in the controls, not in the rest of the vehicle. It would be unnecessarily expensive to make mirror image parts of everything in the car. So the engines, transmission and most of the other stuff under the hood is the same on both types, and the HV cable always goes down the left side of the car no matter where the driver is sitting. The main underhood difference is in the steering linkage.

16. gmacfan01

gmacfan01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    no they didnt specify, they just said it was a corroded wire under the seat

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    odd that you should have corrosion on a 4 year old vehicle interior.

18. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    Did some digging and yes that was a BIG STUPID assumption on my part :oops: Thanks for correcting (y)