1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fender Liner Pop/Screw Rivets from Hell

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jzchen, May 26, 2017.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Cracked the fender liner under the washer fluid reservior causing a leaky line. Opened it up to replace the leaky washer fluid hose. Decided to get a replacement liner. Removing all the pop rivets and screw rivets we're fine except for these two. The second one I ended up cutting because it bent the metal tab it was attached to and wasn't going to come out!

Any advice on how to get the new one back on?

Thank you, and take care!!! (I should have just let the old one be, it's not a major crack to be worth this effort!)
    IMG_20170526_120859.jpg IMG_20170526_121030.jpg 1495826225174.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Someone use a pop-rivet where a riv-screw was called for?

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Those fasteners are pretty much one-time use. Get some more from the dealer.

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    These are built in from the factory as far as I know. I started from the front as the washer fluid was leaking. Unfortunately they are the ones towards the rear. The lip was over the liner! I pulled the liner inner part over it and left it in tact. The outer one was also attached through the liner, bending that little metal attachment point so I ended up just cutting it!

If you want to keep the original screws note that the inner and outer are not the same even though they look like it.

Go here for part numbers:
    Toyota Parts Online | Genuine Toyota Parts & Accessories

Looks exactly like the dealer screens!!!

Just placed an online order last Sat. through Camelback in Arizona and hope I can add some as the order has not shipped yet.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Those can be finessed out, but it helps to have a light source in your forehead, 3 hands and macro-vision. Examine the one you have out and you'll see the the way it holds. you need to reach into the central hole with either a pin or a very thin flat-blade screwdriver, even a jeweler's screwdriver.

Angle the instrument outward, towards the edge of the hole, get it on the outside of the tab, and push it inward, towards the centre. While doing this, (with your third hand) get a broad bladed pry tool or putty knife, and pry up on the fastener's flange. If you get lucky you'll be rewarded with a little lift up. Try to hold that up, and use your slim screwdriver blade now on the diagonally opposite side, aiming to release the other tab.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wait a minute. I'm more interested in how you got yourself a third hand! I only have two. Scissors it is for me. That sounds harder than neurosurgery, and I didn't even make it to medical school!

I told the parts guy yesterday I'm just going to put it in behind the liner, not through it, and find some sort of nylon washer for the screw to hold the liner on.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've swapped a fastener or two for something easier to remove. Nylon license plate nuts and bolts are usable in one place, on the rear wheel well liner on our regular Prius.

Use these in place of the original fastener, which is very hard to remove/install, on rear wheel "spat" at top:

IMG_6890.JPG

(They do require you to be able to hold both sides of the connection, not always utile. )

#7 Mendel Leisk, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Found the part numbers for the black grommets. Ended up cutting another one so I have two black plastic washers.

I mounted the new grommet behind the liner. The inner one still intact. I used the two newly created washers and original screws. Liner back in place.

Now onto the LED light whose mounting was damaged....

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Post the numbers?

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle: