1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

few error codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chronon, Jul 12, 2019.

1. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well, i buttoned up the HV bat mostly and decided to take it for a spin, got about 200 feet away and saw the engine light come on then heard the HV fan take off .... (whiring that start out calm then gets to full blast quickly ) ..
    I couldnt even shut the engine off, I discon 12v bat then had to hold the start button about 5 seconds instead of the usual quick tap.

Got the error code, it is a P1116 " Coolant temp sensor circuit stuck for heat coolant storage system' " -- That is the tank on the left , about a 1-2 gallon thermos bottle thing .. .. there is another kind of canister on the right, -- does it have to do with the heat coolant system ?

MFD is not on either ...

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Probably a failed 3 way valve ;).

chronon likes this.
  3. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    and pretty sure i dont have the pinky fluid in there at $17/ gal for 50/50 mix what a rip off and what a bigger rip off even more$ at the stealership. ..

3 way valve is easily accesible ? I read another member removed the left headlight and it was right there ...
    Found this vid, the guy wishes he removed the light, he fenagles the invertor up , he clamps the hoses and even corks them, very thourough, he attempts error fault 'root cause ' analysis on old unit but comes up short of finding failure problem .....

then I found this one, also this guy doesn't go through the light either, he shows some special modes for running the engine to get the coolant to circulate ..

this guy also didnt go through the headlight, but has a lift, sounds a little like Pauly Shore, kind does this froma different angle than the 1st 2 videos show .. - I guess there is a TSBulletin from Toyota about this known problem and the part is about $50-$80, or you can have the stealership do it for $500 !!!

this guy goes through the headlight, seems to be having alot more fun than the non-headlight access 3way valve replacements .. !

#43 chronon, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    on a side note, the zte zmax droid i installed the torq to, it drained bat down and now wont take a recharge, is there away to get the app off one droid and put it on a more stable droid (samsung) that has more battery life and stability ?
    and the fix for that is to hold the pow but 10 s ...

#44 chronon, Jul 21, 2019
  5. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    couple of very short test runs, noticing I CAN'T TURN CAR OFF normally .. it stays on, and/or the front color display will not go away -

after last short drive, error P2238 came on, the exhaust sensor may not be connected / sensor broke which doesnt allow emmisions to go into closed loop .... reports as " sensor positive current control circuit low bank1 sensor 1 "

before that error P3022 which reports as powertrain.

The Craftsman pulls up P3022, P1116, P2238 and P3022 again , finally P3000.

After having (opened the craigslist to the rescue weekend sidejob special ) and seen the modules, this was no 'wreck pull' (where everything is in tact) but at least 1 or 2 modules replaced and jammed in there without having removed the rest of the modules ..

state its in now, it starts, it moves, after being on either with 2 putton pushes clicks or button and break (engine start mode), within about 30 seconds the HV fan kicks up to level 6 (highest) as if somebody's temp. sense in the battery area got unhappy fast ....

#45 chronon, Jul 21, 2019
  6. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    From what I read, this is not a mission critical device (you can drive with this error - AND the main thing you may be lacking is cabin heated air (but you'll still have electric heat) - so if you live in the south, not a big deal ...!

7. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    so codes can clear, i can sit there in park and run car long time, as soon as i back up about 5 feet pull forward back to position-- then the engine light throws the p3022 and the hv fan starts taking off into orbit on high speed - funny thing is I looked at the bat voltages streaming and block 12 is not the low block, block 3 is reporting as the lowest voltage block so .. how is block 12 ' becomes weak' ? ???