1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Few Questions About Installing A Boss 10"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Austin5, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Austin5

Austin5 Go Bruins

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazon.com: Boss BASS1400 1400-Watt 10-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer: Car Electronics

I'm looking at installing the 10" Boss Sub/Amp combo.
    I have a 2010 prius, NO JBL system, all stock... And looking to install it under the passenger seat.

SO, After searching forums and knowing NOTHING about installing a Sub, I'm kinda confident :unsure:, but I do just have a couple more questions.
    I understand you need to tap into the speakers for the system to work, and connect it to the battery as well.

1. Will the amp shut off automatically with the car? I don't want to have to turn it on and off all the time. If not, how can I make it so it will turn off and on with the vehicle?

2. Do I need to tap into both the left and right speakers, or only one?

3. If I buy the amp, the complete 8 gauge amp install kit, and some wire tap-in squeeze connectors, do I have everything I need??

2. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1) You have to connect the remote turn-on lead to something that is switched ignition. (like the 12V power outlet in the center console.
    2) Both.
    3) Probably, depending on what is included in the "kit".

Austin5 likes this.
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    8 Gauge is a little overkill for a BOSS, I used 12 Gauge that came with the BOSS. make sure to run BOTH positive and negative power leads directly to the battery. The sense line will work off the cig lighter power. it's off when the car is, perfect.
    If you can locate a schematic for a non JBL 2010 Electrical system it would be a help in tapping into the speakers!
    You do not need heavy gauge wire for the speaker run from the speaker to the amp. You need signal, not power. All that happens is the speaker feed is terminated into a resistive pad, then the low level signel is fed to the BOSS amp!
    I threw my BOSS in the back, then camouflaged it!
    [​IMG]

Austin5 likes this.
  4. Austin5

Austin5 Go Bruins

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the responses. I'll take pictures when installing.. and won't waste my money on a higher gauge wire.

I have switched though to a different sub and amp. The stupidly cheap http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WN2JS4/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Dual 8 inch sub. I believe its a wal mart brand, but

I cant find bad reviews anywhere, and I'm not looking for huge stupid sound that will rattle everything, and I do not care about space because the prius is already the biggest car I've ever owned.

5. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't recommend bandpass as the response isn't always flat.I'd use bandpass if your looking to play one type of music like hip hop where it would be ultra efficient( subs will play louder on less power). I would go with a sealed box setup if your after sq(uses more power, less output), If you really want to bump in the whole food's parking lot I suggest a ported box(good compromise between power and output)I always recommend ported if your after some chest pounding bass . Using higher gauge wire is warranted on higher level setups like on 1000 watt rms or something. Car Stereo Wiring Sizes | Car Audio Advice | Stereo Terminology And Education Since you are running a 160 watt rms I assume sub you could go with 10 gauge as recommended.
    10 awg = 60 amps
    12 awg = 40 amps
    14 awg = 25 amps
    16 awg = 15 amps

This is such a small setup I probably wouldn't waste the money personally, Thicker wire will help you get the most out of your sub as the wattage gets maxed out. More current thicker wire.

Austin5 likes this.
  6. Austin5

Austin5 Go Bruins

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am one of those people that listens to hip hop, pop, r&b, and some alt. rock, so I am ok with the bandpass, but that is really great information when I'm willing to spend more. Right now I'm just looking for an entry level sub that will give me the lows that I can't hear with the prius, and I don't want to blow the prius speakers. hopefully keeping the bass on -5 will help with that.

7. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hmmm I have the 2010 jbl package and tbh I think it rocks. My previous car had 400 watt rms infinity amp and it could get major loud, but I think the jbl gets loud enough for me and all that I need to do is add a hefty amount of bass.

8. Austin5

Austin5 Go Bruins

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly I got the car used with no upgraded audio, so we'll see if I ever change the stock speakers out as well, I'd rather not.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Initially I got the BOSS 1200 powered sub and stuck it in the rear storage compartment under the floor. I was pretty happy with the sound. Unfortunately the amp burned out... just from adjusting the sensitivity. Rather than paying an arm-and-leg to send it back for repairs, I went ahead and built a custom enclosure with a 10" Hertz sub and got a JL HD900/5 amp. I am really happy with this setup now and the JL amp is rock solid. A lot more than I wanted to spend but sometimes it just makes sense to pay a little extra.

Radiospank likes this.
  10. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yeah I think the jl amp is a good choice, aloh with a good sub. for a stock stereo yes I would upgrade front speakers at least and sub

11. Austin5

Austin5 Go Bruins

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got everything connected, no power to amp. :(:(:(. Fuses in, grounded, power to battery, and centre console remote turn on connected to white and gray cable under cig lighter. Car on.. Any clue what's up???

So I can get power when I don't use the centre console, and I'm also having issues with sound now.. So I'm thinking its the wire tappers? Should I just cut the cable, strip, and connect, and then electric tape it up? Or am I missing something.. All the wire taps are in place so I'd like to use them...

12. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've never been a fan of those wiretaps, they don't make a very good connection. I prefer to use an inline stripper like this one: [​IMG]

Then splice the wire you want to attach, solder it, and use electrical tape to insulate it.

Austin5 likes this.
  13. Smee342

Smee342 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three