1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Few questions about my "new" prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by master4g, Jun 4, 2009.

1. master4g

master4g Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i recently bought a used 05 prius and had some questions if someone can please give me their input.

1. when i turn the car on, after a few seconds the engine turns on and then if it let it running, it will turn off after a bit. My question is should i let the engine warm up and wait until it shuts off again before driving? or should i just start driving right away with the electric motor.

2. When i turn off my car and walk away, my car makes a bizzing sound in the engine area as if its adjusting something for several seconds? does this happen on all prius?

3. When im at a complete stop (red light or stop sign) is it more efficient to accelerate very fast and get to a good speed quickly? or to accelerate slowly and get to the good speed slower?

4. also, i have the california HOV sticker on the car. Can i just drive the car in the carpool or do i need to carry some type of documentation that comes with these stickers? because i dont have any documents for it.

Thanks in advance

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Just drive the car. :) You would'nt get far on the battery anyway as the car is going to turn itself on to warm up before you got more than 50' down the road.

2. You may be hearing the sound of the coolant recover system engaging. The GenII Priuswill store some of the hot collant in an insulated bottle to help pre-warm the engine when you restart the car later. The GenIII Prius went away from this system.

3. This is a matter of debate but I believe moderate excelleration works well and keeps you from ticking off everyone behind you at the light. So don't floor it but don't be a total granny either. Get up to speed then lift off the accelerator then reapply pressure just enough to maintain your desired speed. Then let up again when you see a stop ahead, my placing very light pressure on the pdeal you can glide the remaining distance to the stop using neither engine nor battery power.

4. The stickers are good enough but you may try to call DMV (or go online) to get a printout of the sticker registration? I've never had to show mine except to wave it in the face of some road rage nice person^%$ that flipped out on me for being in the carpool lane. :rolleyes:

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's a little more on questions 2 & 3.

2. I agree that it's likely the "Coolant Heat Storage Water Pump" (the official name). If it's just a low-volume humming sound, it's normal. If it's a rather noisy squeak when it's cool outside, it may qualify for replacement under the power train warranty in accordance with this TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). The squeak doesn't mean an imminent malfunction, but it suggests a somewhat higher risk of failure down the road.

3. Here's a method to help judge how much acceleration to use.

4. prioki

prioki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have the HOV stickers too, and although I've never been asked for it, I always keep the paperwork in the car with me just in case. Did the previous owner not provide you with the paperwork? I took that paperwork in when I registered the car and sent away to have the HOV registration switched to my name. Like I said, I've never been stopped or asked for this information, but I like to have it in case it's ever an issue.

That being said, the stickers allow you to drive in the carpool lanes by yourself. You can also use the carpool entrance lanes to the freeway (which comes in really handy). And as far as I know, you can still park for free at meters in Santa Monica.

Enjoy! I've been loving my "new" 2001 Prius for about a year now. ;-)

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess your questions have been answer. I do suggest perusing the Knowledge Base section at your leisure for more information and tips!!

Welcome to PriusChat and enjoy your stay!

6. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    1. This is normal. The software is engineered in a way that tries to get the engine up to temperature as quick as possible so that emissions will be reduced.

2. The buzzing sound is normal. I think there's mention of it in the manual.

3. It depends. If you have a long moderate speed cruise ahead, get up to your cruising speed briskly. If you have another stop sign/light in a block, easy does it and you can get there without the engine turning on.

4. I don't know. I live in a free state where I can drive in any lane I want to.

7. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

LOL number 4 :)

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Couldn't help someone out without making a politically inspired remark could ya? :rolleyes:

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys deserve it. :p

Tom

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A