1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Few Questions before Pick Up My Prius (Especially for Canadian Owner)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by berserk_sun, Jul 22, 2009.

1. berserk_sun

berserk_sun New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great! That's good enough. I'm not sure I can stop using "Physical" way to check my car. Although I'm a huge gadget fan and willing to accept new thing.:D

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well the other way is pull the rear door handle (assuming you have the auto locks in the default setting of unlocking all doors when you shift to P)

3. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked the same question to the dealer about verifying doors locks, who showed me 2 ways:
    1- The hand detector is behind the handle. So if you pull the handle by holding it on its top and bottom sides only (not touching its back side), it wont open.
    2- The key detector has a very short range. I was standing besides him with the key in my pocket and he could not open the door - I had to move closer to the door. That car had a key detection range of about 2 feet (!). So I believe if you hold the key in your left hand, keeping it away from your right hand with which you pull the handle, the door wont open if it's locked. But I have not tried that.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. You'll have to have deft hands. you don't even have to touch the back of the handle to unlock. Just your hand near it will unlock it (heck, water will unlock it lol)

2. This is probably the better solution. The range is about 3 ft so good guess on your part!

5. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont have a Prius myself - not yet, unfortunately :-( So I cannot try it ... but when the dealer showed it to me, he really pulled the handle using his fingers, holding the top and bottom sides of the handle. He tried twice - the door did not open. Then he moved his hand to the back of the handle, waited for about half a second, after which we heard a beep, then when he pulled the handle the door opened. (Well at least that is what I recall.)

In any case the 3-feet range solution will work - thanks for confirming that.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok fine.. not quite so deft hands :) hehe.

7. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume that if I lock the door and my wife's keys are in her handbag that she left in the trunk, the doors can then be unlocked by anyone without keys - is that correct?

In the manual, page 587, it is said that the smart key system can be deactivated by the dealer. Does deactivating SKS deactivates both door unlocking and engine start?

If SKS is deactivated, can the trunk still be opened?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but not with the SKS method.

9. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is "Yes" an answer to the trunk question or to the door unlocking / engine start button question? Or both?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The trunk. I would say it wouldn't affect the engine start but I'm not 100% sure. On the old Prius, you'd just slot the key in (cause we had an SKS OFF button), now that it's dealer-adjustable, I don't know.

1 person likes this.