1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fiesta smokes Pruis!!!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Driven_M60, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ronvalencia

ronvalencia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Refer to http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9751868-7.html
    Synthetic petroleum with the help of genetic modified microorganisms.

2. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This thing you refer to as "my knowledge" consisted of posting a mildly provocative title with the body of the message being nothing more than a link. What is this knowledge of which you speak? The ability to post links? We are not terribly impressed.

But yes, it is a hot topic, we've had multiple trolls of late gloating over cars that supposedly get better mileage than the Prius.......but that are not even available and will not be for years to come!! Kinda funny when you think about it. Well, whatever, and I can actually say that I hope some of this fantasy comes to pass one day as we need more fuel-efficient cars. It's too bad that so few manufacturers figured that out; we've only known that these days were coming since the early 1970s.

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm seeing a very American-centric slant to this thread. How many of these posts have been something to the effect off: "IF I can't buy it in the US who cares"? These are irrelevant questions to the other 95% of the world's population. As it stands, a diesel Fiesta is for sale in Europe if not the rest of the world. It gets very good fuel mileage and in many parts of Europe, diesel costs the same or less than petrol. In the UK the Prius costs 50% more than diesel Fiesta. They are both in the same class for CO2 and are both exempt from London congestion charges. Yes, the Prius is bigger but for many europeans that park on the street, a bigger car isn't necessarily better. Remember that not everyone is an overweight American with a 2 car garage. Last I knew Priuschat is not an US only forum.

4. Rakimb17

Rakimb17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Even if this car happens, Why would Ford name it the Fiesta?
    Isn't that name synonomous with one of the WORST cars ever made?
    Good job Ford,

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Absolutely correct. Something like a Detroit 60 or Cummins ISX is engineered to last a minimum of one million kilometres with proper maintenance. They usually have wet liners, an oil sump of at least 20-30 litres, and a foot-to-the-floor goverened RPM of 2,200-2,500

When they fubar, it's usually fatal to the motor. Eg the timing belt snaps in a VW diesel

At least $3,500 to replace the common rail pump system you're referring to, in something like a GM Duramax (BTW Designed by Isuzu), Ford PowerJoke ... sorry PowerStroke, or the Cummins used in the Dodge pickups

I don't think we want to go back to rotary mechanical injection, due to emissions, but at least they were *proven* and held up. A common problem with Ford 7.3 litre PowerStroke was the oil pressure accumulator leaking. You'd notice a puddle of motor oil under the truck. The injectors on the PowerStroke are operated using engine oil pressure

Fuel filter maintenance is absolutely critical. Most of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks sold here with diesels have a fuel filter change interval under 50,000 km.

For a cold climate like mine, a diesel vehicle is a dumb idea anyway. If you forget to plug it in, or the breaker trips for the block heater, forget about starting it the next morning

Careful, you're likely to get the diesel fanboys so fired up, they'll get their panties in a knot

What a terrible waste of wine. I prefer to drink it myself. The Manitoba Liquor Commision had a clearance sale on Outback Traminer Riesling - Westend Estate - a few months back, so I stocked up on two cases. After 3-4 glasses, I can't tell the difference between fancy-schmancy wine or cheap wine

I figure if the world comes to an end and we have to live like Mad Max, I'd sooner drink the wine than put it in my fuel tank

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, it tends to make me burn that these folks compare the Prius fuel economy in miles per US gallon, but the fuel economy of this super-efficient Euro market car in miles per IMPERIAL gallon.

They either are clueless to the difference in US gallon - used only in the US vs Imperial Gallon, used everywhere else

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The issue I have is that it's not even an apples-to-apples comparison. Eg: quoting Prius fuel economy in miles per US gallon, but the EU market car in miles per IMPERIAL gallon.

Size does matter. I fully expect a much smaller car to automatically get very good fuel economy. True not everyone needs a car the size of the Prius

I often wonder why the only motor on the Yaris is the 1.5 litre, that's the "hot rod" motor in the EU market. I'd buy a Yaris with the 1.0 litre motor

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well thank you Jayman, the last line, I can't agree more. If reality is total crap escape reality. Is that why more alcoholics own Fords than Toyotas? Don't believe me, check the carpark at your local pub!

9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Again, American-centric. This car WILL happen, it is simply the 4th generation of the Fiesta which has been sold for more than 30 years in the rest of the world. It is the best selling car in it's class in the UK and Brazil. The only speculation is if Ford will bring the Fiesta to the US in 2010 as they say they intent to.

BTW, I think you are confusing the Fiesta with the Festiva, a Kia built car sold by Ford in the US during the mid-80's.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ever wonder why they have a carpark at a pub? That is just ASKING for trouble. Have the carpark 1.8 km away, most of the drunks will stagger off into the ditch, pass out, and the world will be a safer place

I have a 1984 Ford F-150 at my hobby farm as a "work" truck, eg snow plow for winter, garbage to the dump, etc. Last year in Canada for a non-emission light duty truck, even the fuel fill is large to accomodate leaded fuel nozzles. Haven't seen leaded fuel in Canada since the early 1990's

Everything electrical that could go wrong, DID go wrong on that Ford thing. The only gauge that still works on the dash is the speedo - it's mechanical - and the fuel gauge. I had to rig up mechanical gauges for battery voltage, oil pressure, and coolant temp

The 5 litre V8 came with a cast iron manifold and 2 bbl MotorCraft carb. I put in an Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 4 bbl years ago: much more reliable, runs much better, same s*** fuel economy

That V8 also came with DuraSpark ignition, which was REAL crap. I put in an MSD box ages ago. Replaced the starter more times than I can remember. Most of the wiring has simply fallen apart, I have a small aluminum box atop the dash that has switches for headlights, heater fan, wipers, etc

I'm not saying that truck drove me to drink, but it didn't help matters too much

11. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I try to like everyone. I try harder to like every Prius driver. You for some reason I cannot care much for. If you check the membership of this forum you will see that it is overwhelmingly U.S.A.

You sir are in my humble opinion of course, an arse. Fit that in your populist car park cubby hole. I really wish this site had an ignore feature!

12. mrg

mrg Member

Ford already built and sold a Fiesta here in the US. It was not a diesel but it was discontinued like many other models that did not sell. That might have something to do with the reason they are not bringing the Fiesta diesel over to the US. It wasn't a quality car.

My daugther bought one because it was new, cheap and built by a US company and repairs on foreign cars were very expensive, at that time. Times and companies change, now people know they don't have to buy inferior quality cars. With the internet, these blogs and consumer reports we can find out the truth about what we want to buy.

In my opinion, there is no reason to compare a Fiesta to a Prius. I am sorry if this hurts anyone feeling but that comparison is a bad joke.

13. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It does, Sheepdog. It is harder to find after the new look but it is on the member's page that shows up after you click on their name. It doesn't show up like one of the menu selections. If I remember correctly, it is to one side and near the top. Maybe someone else could be more specific as I've only used it once since the site layout changed.

EDIT: OK, it is just under the username and listed as user lists. Click on that and select "ignore."

Cheers!

14. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It does:D I wouldn't come here if it didn't. Go to UserCP and on the list on the left you will see Edit Ignored Users. Just add jhinton to the your list and his posts will (thankfully) automatically be hidden. Unfortunately, if somebody quotes an ignored user it show up but is pretty easy to navigate around.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too right, stupid isn't it?

Mechanical gauge for voltage, I need to see that!

Well yes, that explains it.
    Do try to remember the F150 is the best selling vehicle ever in the world so it must be good.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fiesta's 0-60 is 11.2 seconds for the 1.6l . A full second slower despite 300+ lbs lighter than Prius.

17. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I hope you find the ignore feature here on PriusChat. I would hate to bother you with diverse opinions that take all of the world's population into account. You'll find that I really don't care if you think I'm an "arse". Of course if you were a true American you would simply call me an nice person instead of using the distinctly British term arse. :tsk:

18. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So you are comparing a 1978-1981 Ford Fiesta to a 2000-2008 Prius? I agree that would be a very bad joke. It would be almost as bad as comparing a modern Ford to a 70's Toyota. If my father's stories are to be believe, a early Toyota wouldn't make it 5 years of Michigan winters before it rusted to badly that the frame and suspension would fail.

Have you actually driven a modern Fiesta as available in the rest of the world? The Fiesta rental I had in the UK was a nice driving car and would be about perfect for my needs.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That was poorly worded on my part. After most of the wiring fell apart on that Ford, I had to re-wire everything. I built into an aluminum box - perched atop the dash - a master switch, and separate switches for starter (Pushbutton to the solenoid), headlights, wipers, heater fan etc.

The voltmeter I wired to the master switch, so when I flip the master switch to On, the voltmeter indicates system voltage

Actually, I don't think there are any original Ford electrical parts left on that truck. When I replaced the alternator - for the last time! - I put in an aftermarket GM style one-wire 60 amp unit. The original Ford external voltage regulator was also complete crap

Hehehehehe. They had to make so many to replace all the ones that quit. Almost a disposable truck just because of the crap electrics.

On the other hand, the C6 automatic is a *very* durable transmission. It's important to keep #2 band properly adjusted, that is done on the passenger side of the transmission case and is fairly easy to do.

The vacuum modulator *will* go bad, and once that happens shift points are very odd and you can overheat the trans. Aftermarket vacuum modulators are much better, under $26 for the TCI one I got. Much better shift feel

The C6 is also very easy to service. The truck has been in the family since new, and I've worked on it most of its life. With the pan off, you remove the shield between the bellhousing and the transmission. Use a bump switch to turn the motor over until you see the torque converter drain plug. Remove the plug and wait 10-15 mins for +14 litres of ATF to dribble out.

Mechanically, the Ford wasn't too bad. It has around 527,000 km on it, but only because I was fanatical with maintenance and repair. Oh, did I mention the water pumps on the 5 litre V8 are complete crap too?

Went through around 6 of those leaky poorly designed things until I put on an aftermarket FlowKooler high volume pump. That was 1995 and it has been fine ever since

There is a good reason why so many 10-15 year old Ford pickups are parked in a field somewhere. If you don't have the time, patience, and mechanical apptitude to work on them, you give up on them

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, I have. I have also had the EU market 1 litre 3 cylinder Yaris, and that car would also fit my needs just as well as the Prius. How many large SUV's do you see in UK driving?

With the exception of very expensive Range Rovers owned by wealthy folks, nobody can afford to putter around in a gas guzzler. The Prius delivers good interior space, great fuel economy, and very low smog-forming emissions

Based on the 2008 Prius I test drove earlier this year, Toyota appears to have fixed the Traction Control sensitivity issue, especially compared to my 2004 model