1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fiesta smokes Pruis!!!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Driven_M60, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Footballers' wives :p

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've seen very few SUV's in Europe, with most of them being Land Rover's in the UK. I have seen a Hummer H2 in downtown Frankfurt though! I've noticed that most wealthy europeans tend to drive large wagons instead of SUV's. E-Class wagons and 5-series wagons a very popular. Volvo wagons seem to be almost a requirement in Sweden.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Volvo turbocharged gasoline sedans - "saloons" - and wagons are also popular with police departments in the UK and other EU countries.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw a H1 and a big old 1960s Chev Impala in Burnley England!! This is a poor part of the UK. I had a Vauxhall hire car (next size down from Zafira) which was about the size of a Corolla wagon and the people I was there to see said it was huge! However there were any number of Mercs and BMWs racing up the motorways which have speed limit of 70mph doing easy 100+. I was doing 80 to keep up with traffic, they were a danger to everyone. I don't think they have speed detection on UK motorways.

Hey Jayman, sorry I didn't mean to pick on ya mate, it was just too funny to let go.

I had a F100 work ute about 24 years ago when I was working on road construction equipment in Northern South Australia, and it was a reasonable agricultural machine but it was also new.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No worries. I can now laugh about all the effort I put into that F-150 just to keep it alive. After heavy drinking I can almost forget about it too!

6. HomeandRanch

HomeandRanch New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Haha My 0- 60 time on my Prius is either never or about 30 seconds. People hate driving behind me.:fear:

How about a fiesta diesel hybrid that gets 100 MPG? I would be all over that who cares how dirty it is.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha.. yeah I see ppl change lanes all the time, even if it's the longer "lineup" at the traffic light.

You still breathe the air in you know. Emissions are still important

Cause it's like Americans buying American cars?? Besides, a T5 AWD and snow tyres will get you to places faster than any SUV on less fuel too.

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think I'd bet on a Cayenne Turbo S in a race against any stock Volvo T5.

9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, many Swedes buy Volvo'ss and Saab's because they were Swedish made / owned cars. All the Swedes I talked to also know that Volvo is owned by Ford and Saab by GM and not all the cars are still made in Sweden.

Notice I said that Volvo wagons are almost mandatory. I see a huge percentage of wagons in Sweden.

Also most of the people I know that live is Sweden don't have AWD or 4wd. Snow tires are mandatory and the people I talked to said AWD was just a waste even in snowy Sweden.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do and so should you :(

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Swedish transport research institute, VTI, has performed extensive testing on the topic of winter road safety. Among others, they determined that "modern" studded snow tires (Eg, the factory studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5) are still the best tire to use in "real" winter conditions

VTI also disproved the relationship between studded tires and PM emissions in winter. Winter PM road emissions are mostly caused by road sanding. Cars and trucks driving on dry sanded roads tend to "grind" the sand further, hence contributing to PM emissions.

With the possibility of outlawing studded tires, like the Province of Ontario did back in the early 1970's, to prevent road damage, VTI carried out studies on the topic. They concluded a frozen paved road had virtually no wear caused by studded tires. Some cement roads were being eroded by the older studs

Based on the results of VTI research, tire companies like Nokian and Goodyear introduced a new generation of aluminum studs for winter tires. Ironically, the new studs provide better ice traction than the old steel studs do

Interesting that around two winters ago, the Province of Ontario lifted the ban on studded snow tires in the "northwest" region of Ontario. Among the interesting findings of new research, a street near Toronto in the early 1970's they claimed was being rutted by studded tires, has become rutted every 3-4 years ever since.

Turns out poor clay soil conditions and bad drainage allow frost heaves and the street must be repaved every 8-10 years. Studded tires had nothing to do with it, they were a convenient scapegoat

About the only time a 4WD or AWD comes in handy is deep snow and poor roads. For example, since they started hauling logs north of my hobby farm, the sideroad has become a rutted mess. No way in hell my Prius could make it in, and I'm not walking 4.5 km

Thing is, in winter I run Toyo Open Country G-02 Plus studless winter tires. I've *never* used 4wd on the highway or on streets, simply no need to no matter how bad the conditions. I've ordered Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV 5, which are factory studded, to use this winter. My Prius has better ice traction with the studded tires

I really have no use for idiot 4wd drivers who use 4wd as an excuse to drive fast on icy roads. They might have an advantage when the light turns green, but the first sharp corner, or a deer jumping in front, and they're toast

12. Rakimb17

Rakimb17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ???
    Well kid I don't care if you think i'm America-centric. I know a crap Ford product when I see one. It would be a slap in the face to the American consumer to name a car the Fiesta. This car probably will happen like you say. But for Ford to use that name in this country? Sounds like another great PR move for for Ford.

BTW, I saw a couple old Fiestas last week. In a junk yard piled six high.

13. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So you can determine the quality and reliability of a product simply by viewing a photograph? You should build a business around that very unique talent! I see $$$$ in your future.

The typical entry level customer that would buy a Fiesta has no idea that the first generation Fiesta existed. Most weren't even born when the Fiesta was sold. Now some of you old-timers might not like the name Fiesta but you aren't the target market.

Seeing some 30 year old economy cars in a junk yard proves what exactly? Are all of the Toyota's and Honda's from the 70's still running?

14. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No profile info, no post history and a single quoted URL as a post with no comments of your own is not spreading your "knowledges"...

It reeks of Troll.

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What an odd post.
    Why not post a picture of a Fiesta so we (no USA plebs) can see the car about which you speak? Was it even related to the current Fiesta?

I'm guessing Ford should have the name Capri on a permanent "never use" list too after this
    [​IMG]
    LEMON!!

Australia's shame from Ford.

16. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Patsparks,

I guess you didn't notice Sheepdogs post #51 in this thread. PriusChat is a US only forum and as a non-American, your opinion doesn't matter. He even put me on his ignore list for mentioning that maybe be should take a world viewpoint on the Fiesta since it isn't sold in the US. :D

This is the Ford Fiesta that Rakimb17 speaks of:

[​IMG]

The Fiesta was sold US in 1978,1979, and 1980.

17. mrg

mrg Member

As I stated in my earlier post the Fiesta wasn't a quality car then, and is probably not a quality car now. It looks very similar to what we had back then. I still think comparing it to a Prius is a bad joke.

Ford could not sell them over here so if they can make some minor changes and sell them in Europe, more power to them. One was enough for me, I would not want another one.

The Fiesta is just a cheap car. It should not be compared to a Prius. I was not trying to hurt anyone feelings, but if you are going to compare products. You should compare apples to apples. That is just my opinion.

18. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't worry it takes a lot to hurt my feelings. :cool:

I will repeat that it is a bad joke to compare a 30 year old car to a modern car. You owned a 1st generation Fiesta designed in the mid-70's. The Fiesta that will be sold in the US in 2010 is the 4th generation Fiesta. You keep saying that a Fiesta "IS" a cheap car when you have no experience with the current model Fiesta. Lots of things change in 30 years.

19. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Capri was sold in the USA to compete with Mazda's MX5 Miata at about the same price, most likely why no one ever heard of them.
    It was a front wheel drive 1.6 litre 2 door convertible, basically a convertible Ford Laser or Mazda 323. It was slow, sloppy, noisy, and almost all had leaks in the roof. There was a turbo version which served to highlight the shortcomings of the chassis.

I'm a little worried that a person would believe a vehicle which is 30 years old is an example of what the namesake is now? That was the early days of front wheel drive for most manufacturers including Ford in the USA.

Another apples to apples comparison if 30 years doesn't make a difference
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So glad I didn't write off a Prius because of the short-comings of the 1978 Toyota Corona although not the best example as the Corona was a great car really but nothing like today's Toyotas.

I didn't think anyone was comparing the cars head to head, only the economy and price. There is a place for small diesel economy cars in this world it just might not be in yours or my garage but for someone who does a majority of freeway driving and needs to park in tight spaces it could be just the ticket. Maybe the thread title is a bit provocative, but it got you to read the thread.

20. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    and just so you know Pat, I love the Aussies and have since my Air Force days. I however do hate trolls and fools. This hinton kiddie is both a troll and a fool. He cares less about Fiestas he is just stirring up SH*T for fun. He would date but he hasnt come out of the closet yet.