1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Figure this one out!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mschickel512, Nov 11, 2015.

1. mschickel512

mschickel512 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Pri-ites, first post. I have searched extensively, no luck. I have a 2007 Prius w 136K. 3 years ago, I had to replace the 12V battery when my car started doing essentially the same problems as now, but I will throw the variables out in a minute.

symptoms - after several weeks of the prius nearly stalling and having VERY rough transition from electric to ICE motor, today it stalled completely while driving. Other times is has had an intermittent and infrequent lack of power that shortly subsides, almost like the stability control is kicking in. The red triangle of pain on the dash appeared, and the red car side profile with the exclamation in the upper left of MFD came on. My wife was able to start it after 10 minutes, then drove it home without any AC, lights, or radio successfully.

Here's the kicker. Once she got home, I put the car into diagnostic mode, and the battery appeared to charge fine and hold charge. 12.3 in ig on position, 12.3 w acc, 14.1 w car on. So, after reading, it seemed unlikely but more probable than anything else, the inverter pump. nope, was flowing fine. I checked all the 12v battery connections as I thought maybe a loose ground, but no, all was well.

After that, I continued to fiddle with the diagnostics. I never cleared any codes but the triangle and mdf warning went away, but the orange check engine light remained. I did it once more, then the orange light went away. However, I started the car and ran it for a few minutes. When the ICE came on, it seemed to want to stall, almost running at 500rpm of a conventional motor. No lights came on.

I know, i know. what codes are there? I'm not sure. anyone have any idea in the interim? I sincerely appreciate it. Sob story - I work 60hrs/week minimum, father of 2 daughters, son coming in january, plus i'm taking 6 hrs college (emergency management administration program at WTAMU, taking marketing and risk management - UGH).

I'm heading to the zone tomorrow. I'll check back, and thanks.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your HV battery (the big one behind the back seat) is dying and will soon be dead.

Prepare for the repair if you dare.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its all supposition till the codes are pulled. You have much unhappiness there with both Hybrid and Engine codes being registered.

But like Jad said get ready....and don't let the wife take it till you figure it out. Cause next time it won't get her back home.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the battery icon erratic at all?

5. mschickel512

mschickel512 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i'm not sure about the battery being erratic. haven't been driving it much. just weird that the ICE would be running really rough.

6. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    when you find out let me know my 05 did the same gave me a code for a bad #9 battery module(# 17 and 18), replaced it and still have the same problem..

7. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    just rebuilt mine after pulling codes with techstream, still have the same problem..more like charging problem from the CVT

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As in a previous post all is supposition until the codes are available, but my first port of call would be to clean the throttle body, and MAF sensor. The throttle should be turned by hand against the spring with no feeling of roughness or sticking.

John.

9. mschickel512

mschickel512 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting development. I read another article on checking voltage in the diag mode, the author stated to allow the car to sit for an hour or so. I let the car sit overnight. I went and checked voltages and I found the ignition on at 12.1 and ACC at 11.7. Looks like it is the 12V battery. I'm going to drop a new optima in this afternoon. I'll let you know what happens. Fingers crossed.

10. mschickel512

mschickel512 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    dangit, just reread the article and voltage levels, they seem within normal range. Back to square one.

11. mswtoyota

mswtoyota Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you need help in the Tx panhandle area, I've got 2 code readers and Techstream available...

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12.1 is low, i would check it under the hood in the morning.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your time is limited, the first thing you want to do is have the codes read, so that you don't waste any more of it. In general, you should have them read with a scanner that can read all Prius codes (this is not always true of scantools used by places like AutoZone, and a scan that doesn't show the full set of codes also consumes your valuable time.)

There is a trap a lot of new PriusChatters fall into, and it works something like this: car starts misbehaving; owner immediately starts thinking it must be the traction battery or inverter pump, or something else Prius-unique. Why? Because when people talk about Prii, a lot of the time they are talking about the things that are different from other cars. The owner might even post a new thread on PriusChat (with no codes) and invariably a few responses will also pile on to the battery idea, even if there wasn't anything in the original description to suggest a battery problem, and that wastes even more time. It almost takes a deliberate reminder that every Prius also has a gasoline engine, and nobody here is too young to remember that gasoline engines run roughly sometimes, and need to be fixed. It just gets left out of the conversation, because that's just something the Prius has in common with other cars.

Now, there is one way that engine trouble in a Prius feels different from engine trouble in other cars, and that's the way the Prius will try to keep moving you down the road electrically even as it is trying and retrying to keep the engine running. It feels rather odd, and it can be misleading because it's not the same as lurching straight to a stop in some other car. (It's also worth paying attention to when the car feels like it's doing that; if the engine doesn't smooth out eventually, the computer does give up, and then you are on the side of the road. If you are feeling stumbles and restarts, you can plan your route and speed to avoid, say, merging onto the interstate, until you are sure things have smoothed out.)

-Chap

GrGramps likes this.
  14. mschickel512

mschickel512 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you Chap. So, I went over everything, including checking terminals on the 12v battery, making sure everything is snug. The car has since ran fine with the exception of the comb motor running rough the other morning. There have been no more red triangles, etc. I am going to change the spark plugs (135K, original plugs) and keep on. 38mpg average. go figure.

15. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you cleaned the MAF sensor yet? I've experienced what your describing several times and that's always been the problem.

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the lights came on, it will latch a code/s. Just get it read and fix it. As much time as you have wasted already you would be done.

17. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Old spark plugs can make the engine sound horrible and run rough.

Plugs are supposed to be changed at 120k miles. I like Denso Irridium plugs. Don't forget to check your dipstick too. Most Prii that come in my shop are low on oil if they have over 120k miles on them. Some have less than 2 quarts in them.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a month old? this guy will never be back. he'll take his 38 mpg and like it.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...well if he comes back he should check his HV Batt fan for clogs and I wonder what gaso brand he is using. He should go TopTierGas.com...per Paul above we've had a few folks replace plugs poorly and they get loose and rough engine results.

20. mschickel512

mschickel512 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry Bisco, were you saying something? First, thank you everyone for your help.

I just changed the plugs (Bosch double platinum), cleaned the MAF and the TBI. The TBI was crusty but not too bad. With the new plugs it is def running smoother. It also no longer has any spark knock. I was using 93 gas to help deal w the knock, but my wife put in 87 and no knock at all w new plugs.

I will take wjtracy's advice and check the hv battery fan next. THanks again everyone.

bisco likes this.