1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Figured Id Introduce Myself

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by durallymax, Feb 21, 2010.

1. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Clean diesel is a 2010 dies with SCR and DPF. It's fairly clean and is what they are referred to as.

New diesels are still built heavy but overall weight is being reducing by using aluminum and compacted graphite iron.

Diesels don't like to be started and stopped very much but neither does a gasoline engine. I think all of the current diesel hybrids just keep the engine running constant to generate electricity to propel the vehicle which dies save on fuel end emissions.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    why not go even cleaner ... natural gas!

. . . . and welcome!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are they as low as the prius engine?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think that the prius engine doesn't mind starting and stopping a lot seeing that it does it hundreda and thousands of times a day over many hundred thousand miles.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't want to come across as anti diesel, but you all might want to do a search on google for diesel particle filter problems. This was one of the reasons I went hybrid as the latest DPF's often block up if used in heavy town/city driving.

I don't know if the technology is different in the diesel cars they are starting to sell in the USA but if it isn't then watch out.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

6. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I know all about dpf issues, fords throwing flames , and others clogging up.

Currently they do have a lot of the bugs worked out of them but they dk still plug sooner if the car doesn't get worke from time to time.

7. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because it would be too expensive.

8. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    those numbers are hard to find and I don't have the answer

However on average diesels have lower emissions per mile due to their efficiency.

You guys also need to realize that efficiency is not measured in mpg irbid measured in bsfc.

9. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And on the subject of particle filter problems and recalls how about combining them together. The traditional London taxi is popular with the tourists but not so popular with the blokes who have to drive them! Give me a hybrid everytime.

The dramatic moment a black cab burst into flames - on the day hundreds of taxis were recalled over safety fears | Mail Online

Surprisingly this hardly made the TV news in the UK despite over 600 cabs being pulled off the roads until proved safe. Yet Toyota is being slated for a problem that has occured mainly in the USA.

Cest la vie :(

10. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does the above article have to do with DPFs?? It doesnt mention anything in the article about them. Maybe I am missing something.

If its starting on fire due to the DPF then that is the manufacturers problem. Just like the Toyota issue, and just like the hug Ford recall that is still ongoing for cruise control switch fires.

11. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just read that article.

The US technology is somewhat different as our DPFs dont require additives. And active regeneration can take place at idle.

So far there is only one safety concern with regeneration and that is the immense heat. However manufacturers have adressed this with interesting exhaust tips. The Duramax trucks have the "Bazooka" tip, the powerstrokes have the dual tips and new semis all have huge stacks. The purpose of these tips is to mix cool air with the hot air.

12. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gasoline engines tend to be more tolerable however diesel can do this as well. Standby generators do it all the time, they go from sitting idle for months to full throttle in a copuple minutes. You just have to keep the coolant warm and they will run fine.

The thing to remember with any starting and stopping of ICE engines is the initial startup emissions which are high on both gasoline and diesel engines.

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah I messed up. Yeah it was the DPF that would overheat causing the fires.

I figured that a DPF problem and a major recall story in one was worthy of reporting. Whether with hindsight that remains the case remains to be seen. :rolleyes:

14. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How I'd the dpf cause the fires on those cabs?? Like I said it's usually a manufacturers fault for engineering something wrong.

How old are those cabs? Were the dpfs add ons or from the factory.

Ford had three trucks cause fires from flames shotting out of the exhaust. Later investigation revealed that an uncontrolled amount of fuel was dumped inti the exhaust causing the flames. An ecu update on 34,000 vehicles was performed and the issue was resolved.

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

They were all brand new with the latest DPFs as required by the latest emissions legislation. Perhaps it was so new the problems had not been ironed out. I don't believe it was the adblue/urea system.

I trust you will have searched the net for DPF problems. The problem is not limited to just one or two manufacturers, though granted some of them do not yet sell diesel cars in the USA - yet.

Also, my experience does only apply to European diesel cars (not trucks) but your previous post stated that your cars don't need the additive. Some perhaps, but take a look at the latest European clean diesel CARS being sold in the USA that are 50 state compliant and you will find that they do indeed require the additive. I could be wrong but I'm sure the bluetec/adblue urea system is the only way that they can get the emissions to pass the stricter 50 state compliance.

I'm not wanting to get into an argument with you. I'm just offering my (limited?) experience of ten years of heavy driving of the more modern diesel cars than are now, eventually making their way to your shores. The diesel cars have benefits, but they are also not the only solution. Has the technology arrived too late now that hybrids are common place in the USA? I am only opening an alternative perspective.

16. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The article referred to a fluid that was injected before the DPF which is not SCR although I suspect it was just an editorial error.

So what is SCR? Selective Catalyst Reduction. It mounts after the DPF and basically converts NOX into nitrogen and water using DEF.

So what is DEF. Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Plain and simple its ammonia just like your pee and just like the stuff farmers put on their fields for fertilizer, however dont try to pee in the tank or put some 28% in it, the vehicle will reconize this and will not run. AdBlue is one brand of DEF.

The only downside thus far to SCR is that you have to fill the DEF tank every oil change.

Almost all Tier II Bin 5 Engines (build date after 1/1/10) have SCR. The 6.7 Cummins is rumored to not need it as it has advanced in cylinder technologies to reduce NOX.

As for DPF issues yes i did good "DPF Issues" and what I founf was very outdated articles explaining issues that have already been corrected. Most of these issues are plain and simple, engineers faults.

Ford recalled 34,000 of their 6.4L powerstrokes for blowing flames out of the exhaust. 3 started fires. A simple re-program of the computer fixed the issue. The engineers didnt put a limit on how much fuel could be injected into the exhaust.

The plugging issues on vehicles is again the engineers stupidity. The only vehicles plugging abnormally are ones that do not have Active regeneration.

There is one other downside to DPFs besides fuel economy and that is heat. The exhaust gets very hot, which is why you see very interesting exhaust tips on DPF equipped vehicles. The Duramax has the "Bazooka", powerstroke has the twin tip and all new semis have huge tips with air inlets. The purpose of these akward tips is to mix cool air with the exhaust.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no need to remember it with the prius, it's the lowest emission car on the road, including startup. i'm not sure you have a complete understanding of how a hybrid operates.

18. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not entirely.

But initiall startup of any motor is where the highest emissions always occue even if its the lowest emissions vehicle on the planet. Unless the prius has some other technology. I can see it being lower if they use electricty to get the motor turning before making it create power.

The prius is low emission because of the hybrid system, im talking about using a diesel in place of it to drop emissions per mile even more. Emissions per gallon may not drop, but per mile they should in theory.

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thats what i am trying to say.
    diesels have lower c02 then pertrol diesel got more energy per 1 galon or liter of diesel and but there is more to it then just co2 and mpg
    the prius is build to have a cleaner exhaust and thats what matters to me:)

20. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Am impressed. You know your stuff.

How do you see the future of diesels in the US? Do you think they'll take off in the same way they have here in Europe where they now account for about 50% of the market? Is there any trouble with diesel infastructure - are there special car diesel pumps at gas stations or do you have to use the truck pumps?

What are peoples attitude to a modern diesel car? Are they intrequed or do they have memories of diesels of old?

And can I ask, what made you go the diesel route?