1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fill up at a 1/2 tank! or pay $159.12

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mdescher, Aug 1, 2006.

1. mdescher

mdescher New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Aug 1 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]295910[/snapback]</div>
    Manual says 11.9 on my 2006 but it is a bladder tank so depending on the outside temperature you may not fill it all the way up. Funny huh?

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 1 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]295879[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, and it's also a good idea to have on clean underwear just in case you end up in the emergency room. :rolleyes:

1/4 full for what reason? As a bladder stretching method? Or, for safety in case of natural disaster?

Your Prius should feel no ill effects from having the gas level below 1/4 tank all the way down to 1/20 of a tank. I fact, not carrying around that extra weight (dead weigh it you never use it :angry: ) and minimizing the number of trips you make to the gas station is the ecologically correct thing to do.

3. mdescher

mdescher New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 1 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]295919[/snapback]</div>
    I did see that, and I agree common sense says you should always keep 1/4 tank in ANY car. Especially in Los Angeles in case of earthquakes...bt hey...sometimes stations are few between like when you are on the road in the desert....Plan ahead! Glad I did not run out or have this happen in Baker Ca. on the way to Las Vegas...tow would have been over 150 miles to a dealer ;-)

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The dealer ripped you off.

Report them and don't ever go there again.

If you paid by credit card, I'd have the payment stopped.

I'd go so far as to call the manager (or owner) of the dealership, tell him what happened, how they ripped you off, what you did and that you're not only never giving them your business again, you're posting their rip off on the internet so any Prius owners in the area that read the boards will know to avoid them.

Then do it.

Yeah....I'm Italian. What of it?

5. mdescher

mdescher New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 1 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]295932[/snapback]</div>
    Well...I am takin it to the streets..er web as it is...but allowing them to work thru their customer service structure. I think I owe it to all the folks who own a Prius to get a formal apology from Toyota Corporate, and the Dealership, and make changes in the manuals and training of all employees nationwide so this does not happen to any more of us. The dealer told me this "happens all the time with "new Prius owners" Amazing chutzpah! Yes I am italian too ;-) I have many contacts in the press as that is my business...so I will give them their 3 days until Thursday to resolve the issue, then the scope of publicity widens ;-) With the help of this forum, it is turning into an amazing story to tell......

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I regularly fill up with 10 gal and have put in over 12. No problem with running out if I get gas witin 15 miles of the blinking gauge.

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I ran out of gas once -- as Evan says, a slew of lights popped open on the board. Then I drove another 1/4 mile or so on EV.

Then I filled up the tank, and off I went. No trouble starting, no tow to the dealer, and most certainly no ECU reprogramming BS.

The dealer is FOS, and either/or incompetent and dishonest.

8. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

With a car as "smart" as this one, I still am dumbfounded that it does not have a "Distance till empty" function the same as my 04 Sienna...and the Sienna is deadly accurate...

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 1 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]295932[/snapback]</div>
    Thank God(iva) you're not from New Jersey too...or else there'd be a gun in that emergency tote, right next to the chocolate! B) (And I am a recovering New Yorker...thhpppptttt :p ....from the Bronx, no less!)

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was born in Connecticut.

I have connected through Newark a few times, though.

11. inMothersservice

inMothersservice New Member

i just returned from a 6065.9 mile round trip from san antonio texas to new york city, boston, ma., wisconson dells, wi., santa fe, nm., and back. i bought my 2006 prius in march and have put 18,000 miles on the car already. i travel for the joy of traveling, and with the navigation system in my prius, it is truly a joy to travel. but that's another story.

during my journey, i would travel anywhere from 350 mile to 578 miles before filling the tank. not once did i experience any kind of trouble with the fuel gauge, or anything else for that matter. i would travel at the maximum posted speed limit with my cruise control set.

one factor, i believe, that has been very beneficial in my driving experience, has been to "drive like i want to conserve energy", rather than driving to "get somewhere quickly". my mpg ranged from 43 mpg to 62 mpg, depending on gas quality, terrain and speed. it is sad to see another prius speeding past me while i'm going the maximum speed. but then, it's their "carma".

just one small selling point for driving with your cruise control. the mental peace you'll get when you come upon "the man". as other vehicles brakes are applied, you'll just by without fear. and that's a good thing. you'll be getting better gas milage too.

12. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inMothersservice @ Aug 2 2006, 04:30 AM) [snapback]296158[/snapback]</div>
    I'm 19,400 since February, so I think you're in the same ballgame, but ahead by a run or two.

I know cruise control is an easier way to not creep up or down on your speed by accident so that's a huge up-side. I find that my mpg is significantly better if I don't use cruise control. You have a pile of miles, were you able to figure out if it makes any difference or which is better?

I get 52 over my 19k. When I set cruise, the running data rarely will show above 50 much less average above.

Most of the time, I'm in commmuter traffic, so cruise is not an option. Just wondering what you've figured out on that cruise and your mpg.

13. tkdorsey

tkdorsey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Aug 1 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]295910[/snapback]</div>

I put in 11.2 gallons the other day and my last bar was beeping!

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Aug 2 2006, 02:55 AM) [snapback]296159[/snapback]</div>
    Still less (fewer?) than 2k on my odo, but...BUT...and, as a true fan of cruise control since I first had it...approx. 1993...THE PRI DOES BETTER WITHOUT IT.

That nasty little confession out of the way...I still DO and always WILL use it on very long and steep upgrades, when safe, as well as on very long flat stretches, regardless of what I CAN SEE it does to my mpg.

Much as I do/did love cruise control...I am learning I will either have to take a BIG hit in my mpg, or adjust my habits.

Bottom line...which is more important to you? Maybe after more than 2k miles, I'll get a bit more blase about it all...but NOW the difference between cc and NOT is way too dramatic for me to ignore... :huh:

15. mdescher

mdescher New Member

New Update on all of this...I did get a call from Carol McPherson from Frontier Toyota, she also added that she did not feel there was anything that could be done about a refund, but would check further into it and get me copies of the service bulletins that say not to run out of gas, and that all these tests must be done out of warranty if you do. She said she would get back to me today...it is now 5pm, and of course I have not heard anything from her. Well she did call back and was nice enought to say that there is nothing that can be done from the dealer ship level, but is sending me the page from the factory handbook showing the codes and servicing required. She did say there was one more code that did not come up, a 3191 code - Engine does not start. Amazing to me...computer is always right, but code did not come up Hmmm...that will require more info.

At any rate,m she was very nice, and understanding, but would do nothing. They see it as a standard issue. They have had 5 Prius owners come in with the same issue...running out of gas. We as Prius ownere should know that this is highly technical stuff, and we should never allow our car to fall below 2 pips. Once it blinks...find a gas station near a dealer, and get out your check book.

For me, I am off to Toyota Corporate near my home to find out more. If you have had this happen to you, please let me know. This really should be public to all possible buyers of Prius's. If true, it is an engineering flaw that should be made public. :(

16. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mdescher @ Aug 3 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]297382[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't the problem however that you DID NOT run out of gas? Everything they seem to say as far as your being charged...etc is due to YOUR running out of gas. But as you stated, you went from 2 bars to 1, pulled right into a station and gased up. Never did the car tell you that it was out of gas, did it? So it seems the problem is that the car "thought" it was out of gas, when it fact it wasn't, thus causing the problems.

FIGHT THIS! My Dad's BMW one day wouldn't start - very similiar to you. It was brought to the dealer and they said the car "thought" it was out of gas, when in fact, he had plenty of gas - over 1/2 a tank.

If you had filled up at 1/2 a tank and had this same issue, would you have been treated different? Never give them more information than they need - you did not run out of gas - the car failed and gave an error code when it sohuldn't have and THAT should be covered under warranty.

17. mdescher

mdescher New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Maytrix @ Aug 3 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]297390[/snapback]</div>
    I agree and that is my point. Unfortunately the service manager and management team thinks computer do not make mistakes...I find that hystericla as I have been in the computer business for 25 years, and they do make mistakes...and cars do throw out wrong codes sometimes. Off to Toyota to see what their engineers say.

18. Cruising7388

Cruising7388 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 2 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]296798[/snapback]</div>

The "cruise control" syndrome is not just a function of the Prius - it applies to any vehicle because
    cruise does not concern itself with maintaining optimum vacuum for the driving condition.

19. mdescher

mdescher New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tkdorsey @ Aug 2 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]296372[/snapback]</div>
    I put 9.7 in mine and it was so empty it ran out of battery too would not start and had to be towed to a dealer. Always keep 1/4 of a tank at minimum! Or better yet...fill up each day..that way your gas bill will seem way cheaper. ;-) LOL!

20. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 2 2006, 02:47 AM) [snapback]296136[/snapback]</div>

Yo, what's da matter with being an Italian from Jersey??