1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fill up at a 1/2 tank! or pay $159.12

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mdescher, Aug 1, 2006.

1. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RaleighMatt @ Sep 11 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]317873[/snapback]</div>
    Actually it isn't so much that you had 2.5 gallons left, but that you were unable to put in any more than 9.4 gallons. That's due to the bladder, for the most part.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RaleighMatt @ Sep 11 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]317873[/snapback]</div>
    I believe this is due to a combination of:

1. The bladder, which seems to hold different amounts of gas for different people under different conditions; and;

2. The filler pipe causes some pumps to shut off too soon.

I fill up fairly soon after the Add Gas warning, and I've never gotten in more than around 9 1/2 gallons, and that was when I had driven farther than normal after the warning, and the weather was hot (allowing the bladder to stretch more and hold more gas.)

The gas gauge issue is a separate problem, which others have reported as well. There was a Service Bulletin for the 2004s (and maybe some 2005s?) meaning that if you complained they'd fix it for free, but they didn't send out notices to owners. Some VINs got a new gas gauge computer and a new filler pipe. Some just got one or the other. I forget which.

I suggest you take it in and describe the behavior of the gas gauge. At the very least, you'll have placed on the record that your gauge is flaky, in case it later causes more serious problems.

Toyota does not seem to have gotten the whole business of the gas bladder quite right.

3. adriennepratt

adriennepratt Junior Member

Mdescher, it's a long time since you posted this, but since I had a similar problem (see http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...p;#entry298179) I wanted to know if you had heard back from the regional customer service rep. I haven't been able to get to it over the last couple of months but was still thinking of making an official complaint about what happened to us. Would like to hear about your experience with Toyota.

Thanks so much.

4. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mdescher @ Aug 1 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]295729[/snapback]</div>
    :eek: My two cents - haven't been a long time owner and have only filled up three times - each with only 1 pip left and no problems. About 9 gallons each time.

5. 2006priusowner

2006priusowner Junior Member

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2006PriusOwner @ Aug 6 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]329923[/snapback]</div>
    That is what the Dealers & Pricing forum is all about.

7. londo-cat

londo-cat New Member

I must have Wednesdays car or something. I have run out of gas at least 11 times. I purposely run out of gas just for the hell of it - and then I can usually drive 2-3 miles on electric!

I remember once heading north on 101 towards Novato, ran out of gas, all the lights go red and the car goes on electric and I had just past St. Vincents Drive, went all the way up that hill on electric (30 Mph) and then took the Nave Drive exit, and tooled along the Nave Drive up to the Shell station at Bell Marin Keys Blvd. Of course - the electric was at 1 bar, so cut the engine and coasted into the gas station.

Pumped in 11.8 gallons and then started up.

I have *NEVER* had any issues with running out of gas - and having the car not start later. Luck perhaps - or just a car that does not have the same issues, who knows.

I'd say the dealership was trying to screw you over. I would complain to Toyota.

8. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(londo-cat @ Oct 9 2006, 02:28 AM) [snapback]329966[/snapback]</div>
    So what happens if you are not within 2-3 miles of a gas station when you run out of gas and battery indicator gets down to one bar?

9. mootsman

mootsman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Oct 9 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]329990[/snapback]</div>
    I guess one would assume you would be SOL. But the guy's point is valid in that he's had no problem that required a tow to a dealership and the ensuing issues with the dealer.

10. mdescher

mdescher New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dri @ Sep 21 2006, 03:17 AM) [snapback]322736[/snapback]</div>
    I heard back from the cutomer seri c rep, and they did nothing. Then went back to Toyota, again nothing. I am sure it is an untrained dealer 'Northridge Toyota" as I have talked to numerouse service managers on the west coast and they ALL said this dealer swa out of their mind. Onlhy if the battery is dead and it is out of gas at the same time is there an issue that needs attention, and is not under warranty. In our case, it is a faluty computer which said it had run out of gas when it did not. Went in for a normal refuelingwith enine and air conditioning running...battery lights on dash and radio all worked after refueling car would not start. All dealer had to do was hold the start button in for 5 seconds and that would have been that. Still love the car, hate the dealership, and I am not sure Toyota will ever get any more ofmy business...which is not large just 15 years of 2 cars every 3 years...

11. rockmon

rockmon New Member

the wife has taken our '06 past the blinking LCD to a complete stand-still... coasted down a hill into a filling station, filled the car, started the motor and went on her way. Not a single problem.

As late we've been able to average our usual 49.3. All 'appears' to be normal...

12. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ Oct 9 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]329998[/snapback]</div>
    That may be true, but I don't understand why somebody would deliverately run out of gas time after time. The owner's manual does say that running out of gas can cause engine damage.