1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fill up your gas tank today ... Ike headed for Texas!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That has been the prevailing wisdom, but it didn't hold for the season of Katrina/Rita etc. The water is routinely so much hotter than in the past that these things can repeatedly gin up to levels that were unusual before. The energy level is higher to begin with (the trough is fuller), so a single storm doesn't deplete it below levels where particularly strong storms can form. Other surrounding weather patterns seem more important than anticipated energy depletion. I was looking at a plot of sea surface temps following Katrina and noticed that the temps were recovering in only a few days. Gustav wasn't as monstrously powerful as some of the others in recent Gulf history so I question it's ability to depress subsequent storms.

There was discussion of adding a Cat 6 or even 7 for the new higher power storms. My understanding is that it was not seriously entertained because the wind damage from a Cat 5 is so high that higher indications were deemed overkill for planning purposes.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bin Laden gets much of his funding from Saudi Arabia, but he's no pal of the ruling family, because he wants to overthrow them and restore the Caliphate. There's no democracy in Saudi Arabia, which is how the U.S. government likes it, because free and fair elections would likely put Islamic fundamentalists in power. Thus when you ask the above question you have to be more specific: If by "the Saudis" you mean the Saudi government, the answer would be no. But if you mean individual Saudis and powerful interests outside the government, then the answer is probably yes.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Daniel, most of your post is spot on, but I cannot imagine anyone outside of Al-Qaeda's inner circle having a good handle on the who contributes how much.

It may also be misleading to think that the organization is dependent on others. Osama Bin-Laden is a very successful business man who parlayed his family's connections into a far flung financial empire. I think of him as a mixture of the mafia and the CIA in terms of hard to trace funds.

4. MikeSF

MikeSF Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So even though you will NOT have any problem finding gasoline, gas prices will go up due to "reduced oil production"??

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Cool. I just noticed that the graphic at the beginning of this thread is self-updating. Nice! :)

6. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Three factors to consider:
    1) The ocean is VAST and the supply of water is limitless by comparison.
    2) Even though the clouds from the hurricane may blockout sunlight, with at least a week or more between hurricanes Gustav and Ike, there is plenty of opportunity for the water to warm back up. (keep in mind Newton's Law of heating/cooling)
    3) delta(U) = delta (H) - delta (W). (If work is done by the hurricane, then heat must flow into the hurricane) Consider the earth to be an isolated system, as most infrared heat loss from the water will be reflected back by the clouds and dispersed throughout the clouds instead of lost to space.

*I am not attempting to be an authoritative figure. We are all equals here. This is a discussion.

7. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid