1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filled tank full morning, afternoon "Add Fuel", one bar blinking?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sachminu, Mar 22, 2017.

1. sachminu

sachminu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2009 Toyota prius and gas tank had 3 bars, so I filled gas till tank full. All the bars lit up, then went home. Later in the afternoon when I started the car, only one bar left which is blinking and a message came up which says "Add Fuel".

I then drove the car to the gas station, tried to add fuel, but the tank is full and it wont take any more gas, so there is gas in the tank. The car has around 65,000 miles on it.

Whats wrong? Anyone else had this experience? I tried to reset the fuel gauge using the ODI /power button, but doesnt work.

I have scheduled an appointment with the service center for tomorrow afternoon. But can I use the car still, I need to drop off/pick up kids from school/classes etc. Is it risky to drive the car?

Any other solutions I can try myself to fix this problem, at this moment I really cant have an added expense.

thanks,
    Cooks

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    #2 Stevewoods, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  3. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would try parking it on level ground, disconnecting the negative battery cable (the black one ) from the 12 volt battery for a few mins and see if it resets to full after a few miles of driving..

4. sachminu

sachminu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi thanks, yeah I already did that. I saw the six numbers (actually 5 numbers, the last was a letter which kept changing from E to F), then 5 numbers came up, also saw the 3rd digit show 1.

Nothing changed after I released ODO button and power off/on, still same. The last bar is still blinking.

Maybe will try again.

ok will try the battery thing, lets see.

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would try it several times. It sounds like a sometimes it could take a couple tries.

And, as mentioned, never hurts to pull the battery cable.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What did the pump and/or your receipt say: how much gas went in?

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the sending unit in the gas tank might be bad... I haven't had this problem (yet) so Im not 100% sure ..let us know what you find out