1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filling Prius gas tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gupchurch1349, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Spudh

Spudh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tanks gauges can swing widely if you park on a slope or are traveling along steep roads. the flatter the tank the worse this can be.

2. AdamA

AdamA New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just bought an '08 Prius w/158k on it now. I do provide locksmith service, and been doing that for 21 years now.. I will say, using a used remote (smart entry), the car will take it, but it really wants a new one.

But on to bigger and more constructive problems. I never really knew how the Prius fuel system worked.. That was until I looked at AllData, and read up on it.. What were they thinking? Somebody was really trying to go green here, but seriously?! I can see having a strict EVAP system, but when it comes to the customer having to wait 2-3min for the tank to get ready to accept a SLOW fill..

Right when I got the car, I did drive the highway quite a bit, but the last 2 weeks have all been town miles. The 1st road drive was 235.5 miles, and 4.11 gallons of fuel... Not bad!

Last week, I don't recall the MPG, or gallons. I did fill up, but didn't do the technique listed on this forum. So I pumped fuel in quick, capped it off, and left. I was about pip's, and never came all the way up. So I went back to the station, and filled it up some more.... I had fuel begging to get out of the filler neck, but capped it off. I do see why it's suggested to wait a couple of minutes, I think it was still burping. I did get all pip's this time.

I filled up again, this last Friday. Still not aware of this technique. It took on 2.84 gallons of fuel, and 211 miles which is 74MPG..... Remember, I had close to a gallon of fuel in the neck, but the number looks good.. :) But now I'm stuck with 5 pips lit, but I won't do that 2nd fill again. I'll try again, around 400 miles on the trip, but it may be a while, as it has 75 miles on it now. I love the way Toyota has the hybrid system set up, and only wish I could afford the Plug-in-Supply 10 kW battery..